Spike Lee gets Italians Annoyed

Surviving members of the resistance to the Nazi occupation of Italy have taken issue with “Miracle at St. Anna” ahead of the film’s Italian release on Friday, distributing protest flyers and accusing Lee of distorting history.

http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSTRE4909D820081001

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

spike lee is smoking too much good weed, he even started with clint eastwood on his last movie. I liked clints response, like slapping a pesky fly.Spike thinks the blacks won WW2, Kept us poor white guys alive in vietnam, and genearally created the US, he kills race relations as well as the KKK does. He irks the hell outta me, but i think every movie
he makes is designed to flip a middle finger at the white man

Um, where exactly did he ever imply any of this?

Do research Nick!, he complained that there were no blacks in Flags of our Fathers. In his new movie interview he talked negatively about Clint, and is distorting history by making blacks as soldiers fighting the Germans. blacks were in the war but did not fight as a regular grunt or in groups. Clint said," A guy like him should shut his mouth!" I love Clint!

They did in the Ardennes (when the US was desperate for as many bodies as it could lay it’s hands on) and later. I’m not aware of any acting as infantry in Italy however.

Tt makes sense to have them there, but in general they were in secondary jobs.

You’re quite mistaken. They may not have fought with the Marines on Okinawa, but blacks did indeed fight as both units, and as grunts in mixed units during the Battle of the Bulge…

In anycase, that has little to do with this film. And frankly I could give f*** all if Spike Lee has offended the Italians…

Wast there blacks in the french army aswell?

Yes. Probably from French colonies in Africa. See: “Blacks in WW2” thread, post #3. Amrit tells of a book he read regarding massacre of black French soldiers by the Germans in 1940.

Some of the best French units in WW1 were black, from North Africa and Senegal. They didn’t take part in WW2 to the same extend due to most of the French colonies being under Vichy occupation for most of the war.

pdf27 had already explained that and that is an exception which i said in my reply.

ok?:confused:

There were colonial troops from French West Africa, that in the words of Len Deighton, fought harder and smarter than their French “continental” comrades…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg:_From_the_Rise_of_Hitler_to_the_Fall_of_Dunkirk

I didn’t read his reply before making my own.

In any case, there were in fact “negro” armored and infantry units that did take part in the fighting as whole units as well. Not too mention the Tuskegee Airmen, whose combat record was stellar if a little exaggerated…

ok?:confused:

Why?

I haven’t seen the film so I can’t judge it, but then again, I think the same situation may apply to you…

If your argument with Spike Lee is over his scuffle with Clint Eastwood, whose film on Iwo Jima I found to be a bit muddled (but “Letters…” was excellent!), well, perhaps remove that and judge his film on its own merits or lack of them. Also, if we’re going to be strict on the plausibility of war films, then you have to attack “Saving Private Ryan” and a whole host of other great films!

There were black American soldiers on Iwo Jima during the battle…I meet a few of them at the Camp Pendilton Iwo Jima banquet and in my eyes these guys are just as big a hero as all the other American skin colors that were on that volcanic rock.
BUT…Clint’s movie was about the squad of Marines who raised the second flag over Suribachi and there were no black soldiers in that squad…spike needs to get a life.