i heard the entire star wars series is base on world war 2

• AT-AT tank inspire by soviet heavy tank in ww2

• death star represents the american nuclear program

• the clone war represents the american civil war

• the evil empire represents the nazi german

• even the sound bites from the movie is from the B-17 bombers

• order 66 with the assasination of hitler

http://www.geocities.com/starwarstika/

I just gave that thing a quick flick through, and it seems to be a classic case of ex-post-facto analysis, i.e. he wants it to be so so he looks for unconnected things that can be twisted in a way to fit his hypothesis.

Utter drivel.

I have watched an interview with George Lucas on one of the DVDs and none of this is even alluded to. He chose the “Cold” Black and white, and grey colours of the badies and contrasted them with the “warmer” colours of the goodies.

Not only that he changed the story many times. Tattoine is an area of Tunesia where he filmed the desert scenes, he liked the name and changed the planets name. Likewise Leia is a local Princess/high born of the region steeped in myth. This was not the only name change, Alderan also came from this area. The rank of MOFF (as in Grand Moff Tarkin (the guy who gives the order to destroy Alderan and is sort of Vaders freind and superior)) also comes from a native rank of chief or similar.

The Ewoks were going to be like the Wookies, but he liked them so much he decided a Wookie had to have a more prominent role. Hence the human co-pilot/mate of Han Solo was binned and replaced. And as he says himself, he cut the Wookie in half to become the Ewok.

About the only thing maybe borrowed from WW2 would be the very Nazi like pageantry of the Empire, including the dispatching of the clones to the Imperial March under the gaze of Palpatine at the end of episode 2(?).

Maybe the Death Star was a representation of the World shattering capabilities of Nuclear weapons, but AT-ATs as Russian tanks? Why would order 66, which entailled the gunning down of many Jedi in cold blood have a similarity with the assignation of Hitler? The sound bites were not from B-17 bombers, they were on the cutting edge of sound technology in the 1970s, the whole film used many new techniques.

Sorry, but I can’t see any similarity with any tank, of any time in this vehicle.

In all utter tonk.

Basically George Lucas is an amazing story teller and film director, he may well have used many sources to make these films as accurate as he can, but it is not in total based on any particular war/scenario from real life.

And like Man of Stoat says, he has made the facts fit his conclusion. Look at the list of people missed out of the story ie Monty, Chamberlin and other important people.

The books also are written by people other that George, and in some cases have glaring differences to the films. For example in one book I have read Luke Skywalker finds his mother in a secretive cult sort of place. Hidden away and dedicated to pacifisim as befits Leia and her beliefs and the planet she was brought up in. In Episode 3, she is dead. how does that work?

In brief the guy is a loon.

I could use one of those in Rush hour traffic LOL

The only tank that I can see that would even remotely resemble AT-ATs would be the German A7V of the First World War.

First World War German A7V Tank images
http://www.google.com/images?as_q=&svnum=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=A7V+tank&as_oq=&as_eq=&imgsz=&as_filetype=&imgc=&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

First World War German A7V Tank:

You’d have more luck arguing it’s a rehash of the Bible…

• Struggle between good and evil
  • Supernatural forces at work
  • Character (Solo) sacrificing his life for his friends before being resurrected

And even then there are glaring errors in the idea.

I see how the body of the AT-AT, may look similar to the A7V. But I think that is coincidental. It is a robot dog/cat. And is based on nothing in any armies inventory.

Don’t forget the Virgin birth PDF, nor the redemption of Darth Vader, the Gospel of Judas perhaps?

I agree. Don’t think the A7V had any influence at all on the design, just a superficial resemblance.

Don’t know my Star Wars well enough to find a metaphor for the virgin birth, but Darth Vader is easy - St Paul’s conversion on the road to Damascus.

Virgin birth is easy.

Episode 1. Your man who trains obi wan asks about anakin (only a nipper) about him, because he has tons of meta morphins inside of him, and he is good on the old pod racing.

His mum says there was no dad. She just go pregnant. She and anakin are slaves of that flying elephant thingy.

Not seen that episode, but it does sound a highly plausible connection.

Maybe it is a rip-off of the bible after all :wink:

The plot of Star Wars (ie the first film not the whole series) was entirely lifted from the 1956 Japanese film Hidden Fortress. Though the name of the director escapes me.

Canaris wrote:

The plot of Star Wars (ie the first film not the whole series) was entirely lifted from the 1956 Japanese film Hidden Fortress. Though the name of the director escapes me.

Not according to IMDB.

From http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051808/

Akira Kurosawa made this commercial and accessible film as a way to repay Toho Studios for allowing him to make riskier, more artistic fair such as Rashômon (1950). It was later one of the greatest inspirations for George Lucas’ first Star Wars (1977) film.

In an interview for the Criterion collection DVD, George Lucas stated that while this film is a story about a princess and her protectors that this was not the primary element that he employed in Star Wars. He stated that he was more concerned with the way that Hidden Fortress is told through the eyes of two lesser characters. In Hidden Fortress it is the two thieves; in Star Wars it is C3PO and R2D2. In both films the comical interplay between the two characters is a major theme.

I actually think its more like the old Western movies that Lucas must have watched as a kid.

Good vs evil and all that Jazz. Hell the story has been around since mankind started telling them.

Just look at Summerian and Greek and Roman tales and bring it forward to Shakespear et all, humans love the dark side versus the light side, its what sells stories.

And it will continue to sell them in various media for as long as we exist.

Anakin’s mum had a vigin birth? Pull the other it has bells, it’s quite obvious she got knocked up by a bunch of stormtroopers whilst out on the lash and was too embarrassed to admit the truth.

apologies for the sheer boneheadness of this post

Star Wars, in my opinion, has quite a bit relating to WWII.

Most, if not all, of the the guns are from the time period. There were MG-34’s and MG-42’s, C96’s, and Sterlings in Star Wars at one time. Also, in the third movie it looks like there are futurized 88’s on the space ship during the opening space battle, but that might just me misconstruing it into an 88.

DerMann wrote:

Most, if not all, of the the guns are from the time period. There were MG-34’s and MG-42’s, C96’s, and Sterlings in Star Wars at one time. Also, in the third movie it looks like there are futurized 88’s on the space ship during the opening space battle, but that might just me misconstruing it into an 88.

Han Solo carried a broom handled Mauser, ala WW1.

Sterling SMGs are not WW2 vintage.

There was also a gaming pistol (used by Leia at the beginning).

Some storm troopers packed Lewis guns (WW1).

Some of the weapons were old enough to be flintlock type including the one luke used that the sand man snapped with a club.

The "88"s you saw were hand built from wood. It is shown being built in the “makeing of” programme. The designer may well have based it on an 88. Most of the turrets on the death star were from WW2 and WW1 warship models.

If you want I will watch the whole series and name all of the weapons so we can stop this silliness. The weapons were selected for their appearence not because of any coincidental plot similarity.

If you notice, I said that they were from the time period, not from the actual war. This could mean a little earlier and a little later than WWII. The Broomhandle was used in WWII and the Sterling was used starting in 1953.

Also, I cannot seem to find a picture of it being used, but the Jazail musket is still used today by many Middle Easterners. I can’t remember the specific shape of the rifle from the movie, but i might resemble one of these: