States that do not appear to support the 'War on terror'

Germany at least gets involved. Where are the Japs?or the Indians? or the Chinese?..At least Germany tries while other country’s hide behind a veil of cowardisim!!!

Before throwing around accusations of cowardice check your facts

or the Indians?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan_War_order_of_battle#India

India has deployed around 380 commandos from the Indo-Tibetan Border Police to protect members of India’s Border Roads Organization from attacks by the Taliban. The BRO is working on the 218-km Zaranj-Delaram highway, a strategic road that will connect Kandahar to Iran border.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Threat-to-Indians-in-Afghanistan-security-up/265914/

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Attacks_wont_stop_India_from_aiding_Afghanistan/articleshow/2977187.cms

I never said the Indians were COWARDS. You said it. Maybe you think that the Indians are doing their part but I beg to differ. I simply state that they DO NOTHING in a combat capacity to help a country who is practically next door to their homeland. Even Pakistan had to be bribed with over a Billion US dollars to allow US jets to land in their country. I question how much money India is bribed, but I won’t go there. God forbid that India should get involved with the war in Afghanistan. Rather let American and CANADIAN young boys die, that care enough to fight the war on terror because India is to pimped up on the possibility that their willingness to offer REAL TANGIBLE help might offend Pakistan which would obviously escalate Pakistani-Indian relations. Your threads about commandos indicates they are there to protect their own self interest, and nothing more. Your own Indian newspapers have admitted that India has failed to offer REAL combat support

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/JD24Df03.html
India drawn deeper into Afghanistan
By Sudha Ramachandran

BANGALORE - India’s presence and influence in Afghanistan has come under fire again. While an Indian road construction project was attacked by suspected Taliban militants a little over a week ago, Indian television serials are being taken off the air in Afghanistan under pressure from religious conservatives.
In the years since the fall of the Taliban in 2001, India’s presence in Afghanistan has grown dramatically. India does not have a military presence in Afghanistan, …"

While my Canadian Papers are plagued every day with young heroic Canadians dying from the Taliban in Afghanistan, you gloat about India’s efforts in a few hundred commandos guarding their highway and some reconstruction efforts that they financially benefit from. I believe India has over a Billion people and is right next door to Afghanistan and Canada has less than 30 million, and is a continent away yet I don’t see any Indian combat soldiers dying in my papers. Maybe you read too much of your Indian Newspapers and believe that road construction and highway patrols are heroic. I did not say Indians are Cowards, but since you brought it up, I lay it on the line for you. A billion people and yet my small country of Canada offers soldiers to die for the benefit of humanity(including Indians). Ya, uha…whatever.

I never said the Indians were COWARDS. You said it. Maybe you think that the Indians are doing their part but I beg to differ. I simply state that they DO NOTHING in a combat capacity to help a country who is practically next door to their homeland. Even Pakistan had to be bribed with over a Billion US dollars to allow US jets to land in their country. I question how much money India is bribed, but I won’t go there. God forbid that India should get involved with the war in Afghanistan. Rather let American and CANADIAN young boys die, that care enough to fight the war on terror because India is to pimped up on the possibility that their willingness to offer REAL TANGIBLE help might offend Pakistan which would obviously escalate Pakistani-Indian relations. Your threads about commandos indicates they are there to protect their own self interest, and nothing more. Your own Indian newspapers have admitted that India has failed to offer REAL combat support

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/JD24Df03.html
India drawn deeper into Afghanistan
By Sudha Ramachandran

BANGALORE - India’s presence and influence in Afghanistan has come under fire again. While an Indian road construction project was attacked by suspected Taliban militants a little over a week ago, Indian television serials are being taken off the air in Afghanistan under pressure from religious conservatives.

In the years since the fall of the Taliban in 2001, India’s presence in Afghanistan has grown dramatically. India does not have a military presence in Afghanistan,…

While my Canadian Papers are plagued every day with young heroic Canadians dying from the Taliban in Afghanistan, you gloat about India’s efforts in a few hundred commandos guarding their highway and some reconstruction efforts that they financially benefit from. I believe India has over a Billion people and is right next door to Afghanistan and Canada has less than 30 million, and is a continent away yet I don’t see any Indian combat soldiers dying in my papers. Maybe you read too much of your Indian Newspapers and believe that road construction and highway patrols are heroic. I did not say Indians are Cowards, but since you brought it up, I lay it on the line for you. A billion people and yet my small country of Canada offers soldiers to die for the benefit of humanity(including Indians). Ya, uha…whatever. If an Indian ever did die in a Real combat role in Afghanistan, the country would have a National holiday or week of mourning, but in canada its a fact of reality everyday in the newspaper…Road construction efforts…Please!

…from WIKI:(NOTE: I did not or could not find anything on the web about INDIANS dying in Afghanistan…maybe because they were too busy making money from road construction or guarding some highway from 100 miles away with their binoculars, in case a bee stung them…

As of April 2nd, 2009, Canada has lost
116 Canadian soldiers,
1 Canadian Government diplomat,
2 Canadian Female Aid Workers and
1 Canadian Female Professor from the International Rescue Committee
killed in Afghanistan.
while serving their country. We will not forget them.
German Armed Forces casualties in Afghanistan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
With a contingent of max. 4,500 soldiers and policemen, Germany is one of the main contributors of troops to coalition operations in Afghanistan. Although German troops mainly operate in the comparatively quiet north of the country, the Bundeswehr has suffered a number of casualties during participation in the International Security Assistance Force peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan.
As of June 26, 2009, 35 soldiers and 3 policemen died in Afghanistan, making a total total of 38 deaths. Among them are the first German reservists to fall in hostile actions and the first German policemen to die in a deployment abroad. Of a total of 38 fatalities, 25 were attributed to enemy action, 12 were caused by accidents and the cause of four has yet to be commented on by the authorities.
In addition to these fatalities, 129 German soldiers and 4 police officers suffered injuries of varying degree caused by hostile activity.

While my Canadian Papers are plagued every day with young heroic Canadians dying from the Taliban in Afghanistan, you gloat about India’s efforts in a few hundred commandos guarding their highway and some reconstruction efforts that they financially benefit from. I believe India has over a Billion people and is right next door to Afghanistan and Canada has less than 30 million, and is a continent away yet I don’t see any Indian combat soldiers dying in my papers. Maybe you read too much of your Indian Newspapers and believe that road construction and highway patrols are heroic. I did not say Indians are Cowards, but since you brought it up, I lay it on the line for you. A billion people and yet my small country of Canada offers soldiers to die for the benefit of humanity(including Indians). Ya, uha…whatever.

Christ you write some shit. The fact that Canadian politicians have decided to send their young men to die in a fruitless enterprise is more a reflection on the state of your country than India not sending hers.

The fact that India has been sending troops around the world on UN peace keeping missions for decades seems to have escaped you (why doesn’t that surprise me?).

Indian Military and Police personnel have served under the UN flag in 35 UN peace keeping operations in all the continents of the globe.

Canada has participated in almost 40 UN peacekeeping missions.

So don’t lecture me on when and where India sends its troops.

I never said the Indians were COWARDS. You said it.

What a load of bollocks. You clearly stated At least Germany tries while other country’s hide behind a veil of cowardisim! What the **** was that if it wasn’t an accusation of cowardice?

Maybe you think that the Indians are doing their part but I beg to differ.

Beg all you want but how you decide to interpret your earlier comment is a clear indication that you are backtracking – you stated that there was no commitment on the part of India.

I simply state that they DO NOTHING in a combat capacity to help a country who is practically next door to their homeland.

And why should they be dragged into a war that is not of their making and in addition, subordinate themselves to US authority? Just how willing was Canada willing to help Afghanistan before 9/11? Or the US and Britain. You guys have your own agendas as to what you are doing there. Don’t drag the rest of the world into that sordidness.

Even Pakistan had to be bribed with over a Billion US dollars to allow US jets to land in their country.

Damn right…make the bastards pay. If they want to play at war then they should pay a price.

I question how much money India is bribed, but I won’t go there.

You already have. And what was the price for Canada prostituting itself out to the Americans?

God forbid that India should get involved with the war in Afghanistan. Rather let American and CANADIAN young boys die, that care enough to fight the war on terror because India is to pimped up on the possibility that their willingness to offer REAL TANGIBLE help might offend Pakistan which would obviously escalate Pakistani-Indian relations.

And again I ask…why should India get involved in the so-called “war on terror” instigated by the US? If the US and Canada want to send their boys to die in a fight that has achieved nothing, will achieve nothing, and is being run ainlessly, then I pity the poor soldiers. They said that the soldiers of WW1 were lions led by donkeys. I still think the soldiers are Lions but they are now lead by shylocks who supported by the mindless populace.
As to Indo-Pak relations….so you would rather have X number of Indian troops in Afghanistan than have peace between two nuclear powers? Prat

Your threads about commandos indicates they are there to protect their own self interest, and nothing more. Your own Indian newspapers have admitted that India has failed to offer REAL combat support

And just how many Canadian troops are in the country to protect infrastructure projects rather than merely to kill the Taliban. Go look at your government sites and then tell me where the troops are based, what they are doing and why they are doing it

Tone it down guys, or I’ll lock this thread. Personal insults should be strictly limited to PMs only…

India has received more foreign aid than any other developing nation since the end of World War II–estimated at almost $55 billion since the beginning of its First Five-Year Plan in 1951. Source

Even in 2006-07, the Government of India received US $ 1.83 billion in net external aid. Source

This foreign aide comes mainly from Europe and North America, with the US official government fund making up $81,000,000 of this aide, even after recently slashing it by 35%. Source.

So while Europe and North America are paying for the Indian lower class/caste to get electricity and clean water, the Government wastes cash on a Space Program. And you come and say that India owes nothing to the world, and accuse the western nations of prostituting themselves? What the heck are you thinking? :neutral:

So, in the future, maybe -just maybe- you should take a good look at what you are about to post before you click ‘Submit Reply’.

Considering the insignificant amount given by the US - and most of that so that India could then buy US technology, I don’t see the significance of your point.

I have an overdraft with my bank. That does not mean that I have to take my turn in guarding its vaults every night.

So, in the future, maybe -just maybe- you should take a good look at what you are about to post before you click ‘Submit Reply’.

I know exactly what I am posting because I check my facts…do you?

BTW, I may have an Indian username but being born, brought up and educated in Britain means that I do have a clear understanding of Britain’s, Europe’s and America’s roles in international affairs, and comment upon other’s posts without having to make assumptions about their ethnicity or origins.

So don’t make assumptions about me just because I am defending India.

You didn’t quite read what it said. This was the official US government fund - and for a government fund, the US are giving plenty - there is nothing that forces them to give even a cent. The vast majority of aide is coming from private donations, organized by NPOs such as ‘SOS Children’s Villages’, ‘United Way’, ‘Habitat for Humanity’, ‘UNESCO’, etc. Almost all of which are, again, American or European.

I have an overdraft with my bank. That does not mean that I have to take my turn in guarding its vaults every night.

A bank allows you to have an overdraft because it collects fees from you that end up giving it a profit. The allegory is not appropriate.

A more fitting allegory would be the businessman giving the bagger $100 bucks, and the bagger in turn watching as the businessman gets mugged.
(This is of course exaggerated, but still more fitting.)

I know exactly what I am posting because I check my facts…do you?

No need to imply inaccuracy, I posted sources with my claims, didn’t I? The link you provided only refers to official Western aide - not the private one, which is enormous and not a loan.

BTW, I may have an Indian username but being born, brought up and educated in Britain means that I do have a clear understanding of Britain’s, Europe’s and America’s roles in international affairs, and comment upon other’s posts without having to make assumptions about their ethnicity or origins.

So don’t make assumptions about me just because I am defending India.

I actually never assumed that you were living in India - you do have a British veteran in your sig, after all, and I do not know enough Indian to have even recognized your username as Indian in origin. Look exactly at what I wrote. Never did I say ‘Your government’ or ‘Your people’ or anything else that linked you to India, other than your (in my eyes slightly ignorant) defense of it.

No matter what your origin, the way you defended India left you open for Flak.

And again I ask…why should India get involved in the so-called “war on terror” instigated by the US? If the US and Canada want to send their boys to die in a fight that has achieved nothing, will achieve nothing, and is

I believe that we said the same thing when Hitler came to Power. WHY SHOULD WE GET INVOLVED. Why is a Very good question. Why stop Hitler. Lets just be happy and have a beer and let people do what ever they want in other countries, and not get involved. The jews in Germany were being gassed, but WHY should we get involved. Hitler was making slave labour camps, but why get involved. There is a picture on the phtoto section of this site showing a Jap soldier with a bayonet slashed into a baby which the soldier is carrying as a prize. Why get involved though? I am grateful and supportive of my Canadian soldiers who Do get involved when their country asks them to. My country is doing what it feels is right. If other countries choose to build roads, get fat from the money they make and hide in trees with binoculars looking for the enemy then running away when they see them, well, that’s there problem (not getting personal as I am not mentioning any country names). Oh look, there’s a pregnant lady getting raped and tortured down the street, but some people have the nerve to say, WHY SHOULD I GET INVOLVED. Ya, right, nice philosophy to have in life……

Why should India support America and its allies in Afghanistan when they are supporting Pakistan which is an unstable nuclear power hostile to India and which supports terrorist acts in India?

If India should support America and its allies which invaded and occupy Afghanistan to suppress the terrorist threat to their interests, shouldn’t America and its allies support an Indian invasion and occupation of Pakistan to suppress the Pakistani terrorist threat to India’s interests?

Oh, but America and its allies can’t do that because they support Pakistan, despite it being a haven for resurgent Taliban and their ilk in Afghanistan as well as a growing influence in Pakistan which increases the instability in Pakistan and the risk to India once those nutcases get their hands on nukes, which American and allied support is at least consistent with the contradictions which surrounds American and allied involvement in Afghanistan.

So if America and its allies aren’t in favour of India going into Pakistan to suppress a threat to India in the same way that America and its allies went into Afghanistan to suppress a threat to them, why should India support them in a war and or occupation which is not India’s problem?

So you think that the American military-industrial complex is a philanthropic society not run purely for American economic and financial interests?

Check out Halliburton in Iraq, and who in American government was linked to it, and the reasons why America went into Iraq to prevent its economy collapsing if Euros became the oil currency rather than US dollars.

And you think that America and its allies didn’t run away and desert the South Vietnamese after fucking up their country beyond belief purely for America’s and its allies’ interests, as in time they will the Afghans?

Perhaps not a sentiment universally shared in Iraq.

Life for US soldier’s Iraq crimes

A former US soldier convicted of rape and murder while serving in Iraq will spend life in prison, a judge in the US state of Kentucky has confirmed.

Steven Green, 24, is to serve five consecutive life sentences for raping a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and killing her and her family near Baghdad in 2006.

Green was convicted in May but the jury could not unanimously agree a sentence and he was spared the death penalty.

Four other soldiers are serving time for their roles in the crime.

Three received life sentences, while the fourth was jailed for 27 months for acting as a lookout. Green was considered the ringleader.

International outrage

District Judge Thomas Russell on Friday confirmed that Green would have no chance of parole.

In 2006 Green and three other soldiers entered the home of 14-year-old Abeer Qassim al-Janabi near Mahmudiya, 30km (20 miles) south of Baghdad.

They shot dead her mother, father and sister, then raped Abeer before shooting her and setting fire to her remains.

The crime was planned while Green and the other soldiers drank whiskey and played card games at a traffic checkpoint where they were stationed.

The court heard that Green was seen by army mental health professionals after he had talked about a desire to kill Iraqi civilians.

He was sent back to his unit with medication to help him sleep after a nurse concluded he would not act out his thoughts.

The defence argued there was a lack of military leadership in the 101st Airborne Division.

The BBC’s Imtiaz Tyab in Washington says that when details of the killings were revealed months after they took place, they sparked international outrage and led to the retaliatory killing of several US soldiers by Iraqi insurgents.

Green was discharged from the 101st Airborne before the case came to light.

He was the first ex-soldier to be charged under a US law that allows prosecution for crimes committed overseas.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8239206.stm

There is no black and white in war or international relations. Everybody is out for themselves. That’s just the way it is.

If India should support America and its allies which invaded and occupy Afghanistan to suppress the terrorist threat to their interests, shouldn’t America and its allies support an Indian invasion and occupation of Pakistan to suppress the Pakistani terrorist threat to India’s interests?

No I disagree, its the interest of the whole world and not just America. Terrorist acts stemming from muslim extremists have been felt all around the world. If terrorists from Afghanistan let an atomic bomb explode in Australia, maybe we in Canada should sit back and say it’s not my problem. Attacking Afghanistan does not serve my interest. The war in Afghanistan may not be going the way it was suppose to be, but it does serve the interests of the world. We should not wait and take a vote from countries who don’t want to get involved. The reason for the war is just and it serves the interests of the world. Even Iceland:)

There is no black and white in war or international relations. Everybody is out for themselves. That’s just the way it is.__________________

Perfectly stated. Good point!

Try keeping that in mind the next time the French secret service blows up a ship in your harbors. :D;)

Not our harbour. It was New Zealand. We don’t care what happens there. We have enough of our own sheep to worry about, and more so since Kiwis started migrating here in large numbers. :wink: :smiley:

So, India is, and by implication Indians are, cowardly in matters of war?

Anyone care to identify the only Allied ‘national’ group whose troops had the option of walking out of Japanese captivity in WWII but who chose not to?

Naik Aziz Ahmed of the 1st Anti-Aircraft Regiment of the Hong Kong and Singapore Royal Artillery recalled that throughout the two-month voyage from Singapore to Rabaul prisoners were “subjected to anti-British propaganda in an effort to suborn them”.18 The prisoners refused to co-operate, even refusing to accept Japanese puttees in place of their own ragged clothes lest they be regarded as “favourable to Japanese military effort”.19 The coercion continued after their arrival in New Britain of another party. The entire party was paraded and ordered to opt for the pro-Japanese force. “The whole parade refused”, Havildar Rozi Khan recalled. Japanese soldiers then began beating Captain Sadiq Ali of the Madras Regiment.20 Captain Ali called out to his men “it is better to die than serve the Japs!” In response, Japanese soldiers seized Lance Naik Rehmat Ali (apparently at random), placed him by a trench and laid the blade of a sword on his bare neck as if to behead him. Then a gun was pointed at his chest and the trigger was pulled – the gun was unloaded. None of the detachment agreed to serve the Japanese but insisted on remaining prisoners of war.21 Soon after arriving in New Britain in 1943 another party was ordered to learn Japanese drill. When its members refused to comply men were beaten unconscious and left lying in the sun. Men who tried to help them were beaten.22 According to many other Indian participants all Indians in New Guinea refused Japanese appeals. Their obduracy meant that they “would be treated as traitors and the treatment you are receiving at present will continue”.23

{23} In New Guinea the 6th Australian Division … began encountering sick and starving prisoners, often wandering in the bush. On 10 December [1944] a patrol of the 2/4th Battalion found two emaciated Indians who had been travelling from Wewak for forty-five days – the first of many Indians recovered by the 6th Division in the Sepik campaign. The histories of several Australian battalions refer to their encounters with liberated prisoners. Men encountered by the 2/1st Battalion in March 1945, for example, were described as “very weak but morale still high”. In July sentries from the battalion fired on figures they saw in the jungle, inadvertently wounding mortally one of three men of the 4th Punjab Regiment. They were “fine men” but “in a desperate state”.30 More followed: in mid-May, for example, 88 prisoners were recovered by the operations following the landing of “Farida Force” east of Wewak.

{24} … In December 1944 a patrol of the 2/8th Commando Squadron operating on the coast recovered three Indian prisoners of war who had escaped from north-east Bougainville. Later that month a force of Bougainville scouts under Lieutenant K.W.T. Bridge, RANVR, found sixty at Tanimbaubau, at the neck of the Bonis Peninsula. The Japanese had shot forty others as a deterrent after the escape of the smaller party.31

{26} One of the tasks of the Brisbane-based Indian Army mission was to ensure that liberated prisoners were “instilled with the idea that they were still soldiers”.34 This appears not to have been necessary. There is abundant evidence that Indian prisoners of war retained a military identity and demeanour in captivity. Late in April 1945 the 16th Australian Brigade was operating around Bolken Point and Koanumbo. Nineteen Indian prisoners came into the Australian lines on the 26th and more followed over the coming weeks. In May an Australian officer described how “inspiring” it was to see a party of twenty prisoners arrive. “They are a great race”, he wrote, “Sikhs and Punjabis – great in adversity”. They were weak and ragged, but before mounting the lorry that would take them to a camp a sergeant “pulled them up and made them tidy their clothes to the best of their ability so that they would arrive at headquarters looking as presentable as possible.” The witness found this display of soldierly pride after so much privation “ennobling”.35 Accounts from other brigades amplify and corroborate the impression the Indians made on Australian witnesses. In May 1945 a company of the 2/8th Battalion found a party of fourteen Indians approaching its perimeter. As they were led in, the havildar in charge formed his ragged and starving men into two ranks and reported to an Australian captain, “Havildar [name] reporting with thirteen Sepoys, Sir.” This was “a moment of great triumph”, a witness wrote, “not to be forgotten by those privileged to witness it”.36

{27} The Australians recognised the Indians as soldiers, warming to their expressions of martial commitment. In December 1944 men of the 2/4th Battalion found a Sikh and a Dogra eating green watermelons in a native garden near the Danmap River. They were brought back to Suain and, fed a little at a time, “started to pick up immediately”. The Sikh, who had lost his turban, was given half a mosquito net. This “made quite a presentable turban and the turban made quite a presentable Sikh, emaciated though he was”. But the Sikh did not only desire the outward forms of his faith, he also sought the tools of his trade. Before leaving on the company’s ration DUKW, he asked to fire a few shots from a rifle. “It was touching”, the Australians recorded, “to see the way the poor chap placed his hands on the weapon once more”. He fired exactly as the musketry manual laid down and hit all of the bully beef tins set up as targets.37

{28} Similar reports by Australian soldiers in other areas suggest that the response was characteristic of liberated Indian prisoners. At Kumuia Yama camp, near Rabaul, for example, prisoners formed a quarter guard at the camp, drilling with bamboo sticks within weeks of their liberation. Indian prisoners retained a sense of unit cohesion even after three-and-a-half years of captivity: at Rabaul liberated prisoners stood guard by a guard-hut and flagpole decorated at its base with whitewashed rocks reading “1st Hyderabad” – an Indian States Force battalion captured on Singapore. It is notable that John Crasta asserted the pride his comrades felt at the war’s end. Describing the deaths of men from disease, starvation, Japanese brutality and inadvertent wounds from Allied bombs, he reflected that "these men could very well have stayed back in Singapore and saved their own lives. They had not, however. ".They had stayed with the loyal working parties “to be away from the INA influence in vindication of certain principles”.38

{29} The evidence of war crimes trials provides further evidence of the tenacity of a soldierly ethos among captive Indians. Near Rabaul in May 1945, for instance, Indian prisoners of 20 Indian Working Party were ordered to wear Japanese badges. While some of the other ranks complied, their officers reacted vigorously, ripping off the badges that had been pinned to their shirts and throwing them onto the ground. At his trial, Sergeant Major Yoshioka Makitaro admitted striking the Indian officers, on the orders of his officer. He was later found guilty of ill-treating prisoners and was sentenced to imprisonment. At the trial there was some dispute whether the insignia were rank or good conduct badges. It seems unlikely that an army which insisted on compliance upon pain of physical brutality should have even considered the idea of “good conduct” badges for Indian subordinates. However, even Sergeant Major Yoshioka conceded that it was the fact that the badges were Japanese that the Indians objected to, and that they were adamant that they would not be open to imputations that they had co-operated with the Japanese.39

{30} This response is intriguing in the light of the general opinion of Indian troops captured in Malaya. Most British historians are apologetic. S. Woodburn Kirby included an appendix in the British official history canvassing reasons for the “rather disappointing performance” of Indian troops in that campaign.40 He judged that “the explanation is simple”, that Indian units had been “denuded” of experienced officers, non-commissioned officers and men. The wartime expansion of the Indian army had diluted its regular personnel too thinly to give wartime volunteers the “spiritual foundation on which a good unit depends”. They “knew nothing of the old loyalties, . the mutual confidence . between officers and men and between men of different creeds.” The behaviour of these liberated prisoners suggests that the “simple” explanation is deficient. These are men who had not seen a British officer for three-and-a-half years. They had survived the ordeal of captivity, in which they had endured neglect, brutality and ill-treatment. In the course of that captivity they had supported each other and even, like few other prisoners of war, banded together to mount a hunger strike in the traditions of Indian non-violent resistance. Throughout this shared experience they had retained what the Indian Army referred to as their martial spirit. Indeed, manifestations of the survival of their soldierly character were evident at the moment they reported to Australian patrols and in the camps administered by Australian formations. It would seem that many Indian soldiers captured at Singapore maintained a loyalty unimpaired even in the darkness of captivity under the Japanese.
http://www.awm.gov.au/journal/j37/indians.asp

By the way, here’s a list of notable Indian cowards in both world wars. :rolleyes:

http://www.wewerethere.defencedynamics.mod.uk/wewerethere_old/vcwin.html

First of all I want to FORMALLY object to the Mods changing my comments by putting them in a new thread calling it Indian Cowardice. I do not feel that the Mods exercised due diligence by creating a New Thread so all other users think I created this thread when I did not. Secondly the Thread is called Indian Cowardice which I feel is not a title which the Mods should have power to create . In a democracy we do not create threads with titles and put other peoples names on the Thread. I would like for all readers to know that I did not create this thread with this title. The title was created and the Thread was created by the Mods and I think I know which one. The Mod is creating an escalation of infighting by members by making the title of this thread stand out and reflect it as me the creator. The wording I used may not have been the best but it does not imply that Indians are cowards in war in general. The wording in its context relates only to the war in Afghanistan. I have said it once and I will say it again. There are over a Billion people in India and their country is next door to Afghanistan. They only send people to make and build roads in Afghanistan so they can make money and go back home rich. Canada has lost over 100 soldiers and the body bags come home every day. Canada is a fraction of the population of India and Canada is thousands of miles away. Right or Wrong, I support my Canadian troops who sacrifice their lives in Afghanistan. I do not support countries who have large army’s and live next door to Afghanistan and choose not to committt one single solduer to combat duty. I call this a veil of Cowardisim. This equally applies to China and all the rest of the neighbouring countries who chose to say WHY SHOULD I GET INVOLVED. The same this was said when Hitler came to Power and look what happened. It took the World trade centre to collapse killing thousands of people before the US reacted. People who do not get involved with things that affect the world, are cowards. Why should my Canadian people lose their lives while other countries get fat and rich from our commitment? I don’t single out India by itself. The same thing goes for all the neighbouring countries who have the ability and the logistics to make a difference. Lastly, I formally OBJECT to the tile of this thread and the implications it implies by me. It sort of makes me look like a racist or something and that is not true. I support India’s past commitment in a all the prior wars . Only a KNOB would assume my statement applied to WW2. The issue was AFGHANISTAN, if the repliers would clean their glass’s and re-read what was said from the perspective of the topic. I was not talking about WW-2. I was talking about AFGHANISTAN. Hello? Anybody home??Please change the title of this Thread to something else as I not only don’t like it and the implications it implies and see it as an act of dictatorship. …And stop submitting lincs about India’s committment in WW2 and other wars as its unrelated to my point. I never said India was a coward in the battlefield. I said they are not doing their part in a combat role in Afgnaistan.Thank You!

so what? It’s unrelated to Afganistan. Did I say that India was a coward in WW1? Why don’t you find me a linc about India battling a dinosaur in 20,000 B.C as well? I never said India is a coward in past I said there not doing their part in Afghanistan in a combat capacity and hiding behind a veil of cowardisim. What the hell does the V.C cross in WW-1 got to do with Afghanitan? The linc is implying that I said India is a coward throughout all wars. I did not say that. Show me where I said all wars? You can’t show me because I didn’t say it. I hope one day when an Atomic bomb goes off in Australia by muslim terrorists that I sit back in Canada and say it’s not my problem, why should I get involved , then when you call Canada a Coward, I send you lincs abount Canada’s ww-1 V.C recipients. I wouldn’t do that because if Canad didn’t get involved I would protest, to support the injustice and inhumainty that was caused.