Staying on the topic of a thread. How difficult can it be?

Hello fellow forum members!

I have noticed in general in internet forums, including this wonderfull and my favorit one, people drift away from the main thread subject all the time.

[ul]
[li]Do you think it is due to the nature of the Internet media? Because people (most of which are born in pre-internet age) are not really accustomet yet to the way forum communication should be conducted?[/li]

[li]Or is it just lack of communication culture in general?[/li][/ul]

In fact, I think it is an important subject because it affects and eventually often takes away the meaning of the forums as such.

Best regards
Igor Korenev

Very difficult with most subjects to be honest. To give an example - “What’s the best British tank in WW2?” would on the face of it be quite a simple topic to stay on topic with. However you’ll quickly get on to talking about US Shermans, which will lead to a debate on the merits of US and British engines, the US .30’’ machine gun versus the British 7.7mm Besa as a co-ax armament, the US 75mm vs the British 6lb-er and 17lb-er, the merits of the British vs US schools of thought on tank use (Shermans deigned to support infantry with HE rather than fight tanks, British with their various design uses for various tanks) the design and manufacturing methods of both countries, then there’ll be debate about the oppositon they faced to produce an even playing field for earlier tanks and a debate about the evolving armour tactics of the British from 1939 - 45 and how they affected the success of the designs in use at the time.

So even a relatively simple question like “What was the best/most successful British tank of WW2?” becomes a maze of discussions about many different topics which all branch off from the original.

To all members: feel free to try and guide ppl back on topic when they start to go off. Mods are usually head hunter for real problem makers. I even go off topic myself from time to time so dont worry about saying something.

It is difficult sometimes and when ppl go to far its time to stop (and if there is a good interest) and start a new thread.

The small deviations are accepted like start to talking about a tanks armament instead the tank itself.

With the other I have iron hand so…if you any just let me know.

By the way, is it possible for a thread owner/starter to delete the posts that are not related to the subject?

No…and if we could it would cause to much confusion for staff members and normal members.

Nor would it actually promote a honest debate as the thread owner could delete any post that did not support his view point.

I asked because in some forums it is allowed.

Not in this one…

Well i personaly don’t think that the deviations of the thread is a problem.
Sometimes it could be very interesting step for the opponents ( i had feel it on its skin).
I/m not mean the stupid posts or spam.
I think that the work of our moderators is good and effective enough.
Although i had a warnings from some moderators which i could considered as biased but in common i/m thankful for them for the patience and undertsanding.

Cheers.

Sure, flexibility is the key word for me here. I think the problem is when people get cought in discussing (very vigorously sometimes) small details instead of the key issues of the topic. In some threads it is ok, but very-very often is not beneficial for the subject discussed.

OK i have nothing to add…