Strange Tank

I have these pictures of these strange tanks that the Russians build at a tractor factory when they had nothing else except tractors to make tanks of, because the Germans was all around them.

Do you know more about these strange tanks?

Henk

When you have tanks this is better then nothing. :lol: :lol:

Yes :lol: :lol:

Who knows what the guys that manned this, felt at the site of a panzer… :oops:

The civil agricultural tractor STZ-3 played a significant role as artillery prime mover during WWII, but also it was used as the base for the self-made tanks in 1941.

Soviet army lost a huge amounts of tanks in summer 1941 and because of their great shortage Kharkov tractor factory developed and produced in 1941 several models of “tractor-tanks”.

This “armored” model had official designation KhTZ-16. It was planned to produce 750 such “tractor-tanks” in August-September 1941, but only 50-60 were produced before the capturing of the plant by German Army in October 1941.

Also 55-69 armored STZ-3 tractors (some with the turrets from T-26 light tanks) with light gun + 2 MGs were produced at Odessa during the autumn 1941. They were named “NI” (“Na Ispug” - “to cause consternation”) .

The pictures above actually shows a replica according to http://www.jagdtiger.de/SovietTanks/NI-01.htm

More pics on armored tractors: http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/galleries/Armored_Tractors.htm

2 edits for spelling :oops:

If I was them I would start to run because they have almost nothing but I think that they could build so many that they actualy got somewhere.

Henk

Dani like always you did great. Thank you. It is actualy a great idea to fight the Germans with anything.

Henk

Someone has a sense of humour :wink:

is it?
when tanks broke down before it gets to battlefield and its fuel and ammunition has to left behind, is it really better than nothing?

tanks required infantry support, its not like it can really work as an indepedent unit in the battlefield

i think this must be a pre war tank with no slope armour and its track seems to be awfully expose to enemy fire.

The pictures above wich I posted was build during WW2 and not before WW2.

Henk

then my guess would be artillery fire without not much armour

Really weird looking tank indeed, looks like the tank dosn’t have a turrent, is the tank self propelled?

Also 55-69 armored STZ-3 tractors (some with the turrets from T-26 light tanks) with light gun + 2 MGs were produced at Odessa during the autumn 1941. They were named “NI” (“Na Ispug” - “to cause consternation”) .
Do you know anybody that it causes consternation?
It must be a really slow weapon, an easy target to any tank in a battle.
But how you say before, better this than nothing.
Somebody can tell me the caliber of the gun? :arrow:

Sorry I do not know the caliber of the gun. Yes FW-190 Pilot it was just artillery fire without not much armour. When I saw the pictures for the first time I thought it was a WW1 small tank.

Henk

Kind of loooks more like… WW1 era.

is it?
when tanks broke down before it gets to battlefield and its fuel and ammunition has to left behind, is it really better than nothing?

I guess the only good thing about a tank running out of fuel… or ammunition… would be to provide some sort of cover for infantry… :!:

It seems that in Odessa they fitted a 37 mm gun and in Kharkov they fitted a 45 mm gun.

Also spares, if they was no chance of supplies they would sometimes take parts and repair other amour with it.

At that time, the 37 mm was a standard in the soviet army :arrow:

Makes a Sheman look quite potent, huh? :slight_smile:

Yes.