Strange tanks photos

You can see 2 strange photos.
The first one is without doubt “Firefly” and the second Sherman.
Origin of them unknown.

Third photo shows typical “dirty barrel” result.

I’ve read about German method of planting stack of 3 to 5 antitank mines one on the top of the other. This would explain Sherman photo.
But Firefly’s barrel is beyond imagination…

Who knows anything about such strange situations?
maybe more photos?

Cheers,

Lancer44

Firefly1.jpg

Ouups.jpg

For the first picture, I’d think the barrel was blocked and the energy had to escape causing the barrel to rupture.

I think so, but those ruptures usually looks a bit different… see the 3-rd photo - typical.

Cheers,

Lancer44

It would break like that if the barrel was made from two halfs, is the barrel two pieces?

ever seen anything like it?

At first I saw the second sherman I was like wtf, Thought It was some prototype, so then I read that post about the mines now I got it, very interesting. Never saw anything like it,

i think that ones was on purpose to make it look like that the problem was the turret wasn’t restorable so they just got rid of it

Big muzzlebrake on the Firefly keeping the bbl together there, also the deformation will depend on where the blockage is.

Well, the only thing I can comment on is that the first photo is a fake. the ruptured tube is wholly different in appearance from the rest of the tank, and there is no detail in the gun mantle.As though the separate images were joined at this point. the third photo is more characteristic of a ruptured tube. gun tubes were not produced in halves, they are lathe turned from a single piece of steel, bored, and then the rifling is broached, unless it is to be a smooth bore gun. No seams.

Well said Tankgeezer, note also the the sighting devices and the coaxial MG ae not in place, just a rubber tank I guess.

I had considered that it might be a decoy my friend, but just thought someone photoshopped a pic as a joke.