Sturmtiger, the heaviest close support vehicle.

A rare video footage of this powerful support vehicle in action.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=j29siF37c5M

What sort of main battery weapon did it use? is it a launcher? It looks like a combat engineer vehicle.That is a really excellent piece of video.

It was a rocket launcher, I will post more images of it later.

Some more info:

Main weapon of the Sturmtiger: 38 cm Raketenwerfer 61 L/5.4

About 1942, the German Navy had developed a short-barrel 38 cm (15") Raketenwerfer (literally, “Rocket Thrower”) gun as an anti-submarine weapon. This was employed at least in Norway, but was unsuccessful in that role and it appears that few were manufactured. However, in 1943 the Wehrmacht was developing a wall-busting AFV based upon the Tiger IE chassis. One of the requirements for this vehicle was that it mount a weapon that could fire the largest possible HE shell.

Interior view of the fighting compartiment. Note the treaded barrel. The half-moon shaped cuts in left and right serve for expelling the propellant gasses.

The Naval rocket gun was chosen, slightly modified for mounting in the Tiger fighting compartment, and then redesignated as the “38 cm RTg (Raketen-Tauchgranate) Stu M RW61 L/5.4.” And so, the “Panzermoerser 38 cm” (self-propelled 38 cm mortar) or “Sturmtiger” was born.
To give this vehicle an increased ability to penetrate thick concrete walls, one or more hollow-charge projectiles were developed. These, of course, are the 38 cm “naval” projectile that I get asked about.

Tipes of ammunition:

• Raketen Sprenggranate 4581 (HE) - 761 lbs. (345.2 kg)
    -Raketen Hohladungsgranate 4582 (shaped charge warhead) - about 772 lbs. (351kg)
    WGr 4592 (shaped charge warhead) - 772 lbs. (351 kg)

Muzzle speed; 299 m/s.

WNGER_38cm_RTG_projectiles_pic.jpg

Another one of those Wunder weapons that went too far. I’m sure the cost in building it far outweighed the value of it in combat over say the Brummbar.

It is called 38cm Rocket Launcher - also see picture above :wink:

Could it be that the Mark 4 chassis could not support the weapon when it fired?
That could be why they used Tiger chassis instead… at much more cost.

does anyone have any information about the Sturmtiger?

A quick search before open new topics never hurts.:rolleyes:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5310

Thank you

Panzerknacker:awesome video,that was a little monster :slight_smile:

Would love to see one, I have seen some pics of some in museums, but up close is always better.

Here are a few photos of mine from Munster Panzer Museum.

Sturmpanzer VI Sturmtiger with camouflage painting.

Thanks mate. You lucky dog.

Here are a few photos of mine from Munster Panzer Museum.

Excellent, danke schön. :cool:

I heard it was used to fire sea mines into, well, the sea…

(I didn’t read all the info above: too lazy…)