Suggestions?

I am looking for suggestions on books to read. I mainly like World War2 1st person view. I like the Russian Campaign, American Campaign, and German Campaign. If you have read or reading any books in this category please tell me. Please no Pacific Campaign books. Focusing on the European Campaign.
Any book will be fine.

You can get a good idea from the books here. But if I had mandatory read for everyone it would be “The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich” by William L. Shirer

Ok. I will see if they have it by the nearest library or at my school library.

They should…I got lucky and got an old copy at a Women’s Auxillery book sell. Only cost me a dollar. Kinda cool…one of my favorite books was the cheapes book I ever purchased.

German Soldier, I saw this in a bookshop, today, and thought of you. :wink:
A wider history than you might wish, but it looked pretty good to me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Kingdom-Downfall-Prussia-1600-1947/dp/0713994665

Here’s an extract I found:

Extract from Iron Kingdom by Christopher Clark

Prussia remains, more than two decades later, an idea with the power to polarize. The unification of Germany after 1989 and the transfer of the capital from Catholic, ‘western’ Bonn to Protestant, ‘eastern’ Berlin gave rise to misgivings about the still unmastered potency of the Prussian past. Would the spirit of ‘old Prussia’ reawaken to haunt the German Republic? Prussia was extinct, but ‘Prussia’ re-emerged as a symbolic political token. It has become a slogan for elements of the German right, who see in the ‘traditions’ of ‘old Prussia’ a virtuous counterweight to 'disorientation, ‘the erosion of values’, ‘political corruption’ and the decline of collective identities in contemporary Germany. Yet for many Germans, ‘Prussia’ remains synonymous with everything repellent in German history: militarism, conquest, arrogance and illiberality. The controversy over Prussia has tended to flicker back into life whenever the symbolic attributes of the abolished state are brought into play. The re-interment of the remains of Frederick the Great at his palace of Sans Souci in August 1991 was the subject of much fractious discussion and there have been heated public disputes over the plan to reconstruct the Hohenzollern city palace on the Schlossplatz in the heart of Berlin. In February 2002, Alwin Ziel, an otherwise inconspicuous Social Democratic minister in the Brandenberg state government, achieved instant notoriety when he intervened in a debate over a proposed merger of the city of Berlin with the federal state of Brandenberg. ‘Berlin-Brandenberg’, he argued, was a cumbersome word; why not name the new territory ‘Prussia’? The suggestion set off a new wave of debate. Sceptics warned of a rebirth of Prussia, the issue was discussed on television talk shows across Germany, and the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung ran a series of articles under the rubric ‘Should there be a Prussia?’ (Darf Preussen sein?) Among the contributors was Professor Hans-Ulrich Wehler, a leading exponent of the German special path, whose article - a vociferous rejection of Ziel’s proposal - bore the title ‘Prussia poisons us’.

No attempt to understand the history of Prussia can entirely escape the issues raised by these debates. The question of how exactly Prussia was implicated in the disasters of Germany’s twentieth century must be a part of any appraisal of the state’s history. But this does not mean that we should read the history of Prussia (or indeed of any state) from the perspective of Hitler’s seizure of power alone. Nor does it oblige us to assess the Prussian record in binary ethical categories, dutifully praising light and deploring shadow. The polarized judgements that abound in contemporary debate (and in parts of the historical literature) are problematic, not just because they impoverish the complexity of the Prussian experience, but also because they compress its history into a national technology of German guilt. Yet the truth is that Prussia was a European state long before it became a German one. Germany was not Prussia’s fulfilment - here I anticipate one of the central arguments of this book - but its undoing.

I have thus made no attempt to tease out the virtue and vice in the Prussian record or to weigh them in the balance. I make no claim to ‘extrapolate’ lessons or to dispense moral or political advice to present or future generations. The reader of these pages will encounter neither the bleak, warmongering termite-state of some Prussophobe treatises, nor the cosy fireside scenes of the Prussophile tradition. As an Australian historian writing in twenty-first century Cambridge, I am happily dispensed from the obligation (or temptation) either to lament or to celebrate the Prussian record. Instead, this book aims to understand the forces that made and unmade Prussia.

These Australians are everywhere. :wink:

I am starting to wright my own book, but I need help on finding a title for it. If anybody has any ideas for me please post them. I know what your thanking. Why is a 12 year old writing a World War 2 book? Well I want to write a book because it would be very interesting. Hopefully it could get published one day and maybe even a movie made from it. please post your ideas here. it would be a great help
PLEASE POST HERE

Age doesn’t come into. It’s about ability. Stephen Crane, the author of the Red Badge of Courage was a very young man when his book was first published in 1895, thirty years after the end of the war. The Civil War veterans were amazed that he got it so right, for one so young.

Originally Posted by GermanSoldier
I am starting to wright my own book, but I need help on finding a title for it. If anybody has any ideas for me please post them. I know what your thanking. Why is a 12 year old writing a World War 2 book? Well I want to write a book because it would be very interesting. Hopefully it could get published one day and maybe even a movie made from it. please post your ideas here. it would be a great help
PLEASE POST HERE

whats the book about?

I am still trying to figure the title out and what it is about. So if you have any ideas please post them. I have thought of a good one, but I will not tell because someone might steal my idea.:roll: I am still open for suggestions.

ur right somebody could steal ur idea.
i can give u lots of ideas but u just need to tell me
if want to do one about a POW, a tank driver ETC.

Well it is probably going to be a tank driver, but I will tell no further information on my title. Right now just trying to figure out the best title and idea for it. This does not mean I have found my idea yet.

hhmm. i’ll try to think of a title,i’m having some trouble thinking of one.

http://www.amazon.com/Panzer-Leader-Heinz-Guderian/dp/0306806894 is probably a good place to start in that case.

That book looks very good to read and a good start. I can not read because I am reading a book on the 1st SS Panzer Corps in Normandy. Thanks for showing me that.:slight_smile:

yo german soilder how bout 2 friends that are in war together and there both sherman tank drivers or even german soilders or even… got to many to say

Sounds good to me. I will think about that one. Thank you for the good idea. It will probably be German Drivers on the Western or Eastern front. Not for sure what front I should do.

it could be about two friends in hitler youth,

ah the hitler youth,that is one of the craziest thing i have seen pictures of

poor kid