Tasteless Hitler comment

Another pearl from a sporting commentator.

FORMER West Coast and Hawthorn coach Ken Judge has apologised for making a tasteless Hitler “joke” on air. Judge was part of the ABC commentary team on Saturday night for the Eagles-Magpies clash when he made a joke about a fellow commentator’s size.

He said Jon Dorotich was “bigger than Hitler’s last gas bill”.

The comment got some laughs from the rest of the commentary team but no other reaction.

After the ABC received complaints following the match, Judge apologised on air this morning, WAToday reports.

“I apologise - it was ridiculous and I should have put the brain into forward pattern before I opened my mouth,” Judge said.

“I apologise if I have offended anyone, and it was not a very savoury comment and one I am not really proud of.”
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25535811-19742,00.html

Unfortunatly time and a lack of compassion means you hear stuff like this all the time.
It seems that the more horrific the act the more sick and twisted humor can be made.
Still at least the guy gave an apology for his unthinking statement.

I still can’t get over how the English Prince had the Gall to wear a Nazi uniform to a party few yrs ago as i saw on the News. I mean he’s English and a Prince! If that aint calling the kettle black!

He was just, rather unwisely, harking back to his family’s, and much of the British aristocracy’s and capitalist and other classes’, pre-war and early war (i.e. until the Allies started winning and money was to be made and power and prestige gained or retained by ditching the fascists for the Allies) support for the Nazis. Not that the British were alone in that. The French and Americans, among others, had similar elements in equivalent classes. Fascists and their ilk were a lot more popular in the West at the time than communists. And still are.

Some of the elements are covered in this somewhat selective and superficial article.

The Sunday Times

January 16, 2005

German roots still a royal embarrassment

Richard Woods

When Harry appeared in Nazi uniform it left the rest of his family suddenly looking naked. In an instant, years of painstaking effort to smooth over the royals’ past were stripped away as memories and suspicions of royal links to Hitler’s Germany were resurrected.

The house of Windsor springs from the marriage of Queen Victoria to Prince Albert in 1840. He was the son of the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha in Germany and his name became that used by the British royal family.

A bit of a mouthful, Saxe-Coburg-Gotha turned out not to be Albert’s real surname, which was Wettin, the name of another aristocratic German dynasty.

It was only in 1917 that George V, worried by the anti-German feeling caused by the first world war, ordered the royal family to scrap Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Wettin for Windsor.

Matters are still not that simple. The name of the royal house is Windsor, but the surname of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh is Mountbatten-Windsor. The duke is also from the house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg and so, arguably, are his heirs.

However, more embarrassing than names the length of a bus are the family’s links to Nazi Germany. The duke is Greek and some of his relatives sympathised with the Nazis; others joined them.

One brother-in-law, Prince Christoph of Hesse, was a member of the SS and flew fighters that attacked allied troops in Italy. In fact, so many of Philip’s relatives had Nazi links that when he married Princess Elizabeth he was severely limited on the guests he could invite.

Like most of the British aristocracy in the 1930s, George VI and his wife, the late Queen Mother, hoped to avoid war with Germany. The king sent birthday greetings to Hitler weeks before Germany invaded Poland.

More notoriously, his brother, the former King Edward VIII, who became the Duke of Windsor after abdicating in 1936, was sympathetic towards Hitler. Even in 1970 he told one interviewer: “I never thought Hitler was such a bad chap.”

The duke and his wife, Wallis Simpson, had visited Germany in 1937 and were taken to meet the Führer. When they left, Hitler said of Simpson: “She would have made a good Queen.”

Suspicions lingered that if Hitler had successfully invaded Britain, he might have tried to make the duke king again. Confidential files released in 2003 revealed that Nazi officials thought the duke was “no enemy to Germany” and would be the “logical director of England’s destiny after the war”.

Last year files released from the national archives revealed how a former head of British naval intelligence thought the duke’s return was a real possibility. The British admiral, who had attended Hitler’s 1937 Nuremberg rally, featured in an MI5 report as having said that Hitler “would soon be in this country, but that there was no reason to worry about it because he would bring the Duke of Windsor over as king”.

Other royals also had links to the Nazis. Baron Gunther von Reibnitz, the father of Princess Michael of Kent, was a party member and an honorary member of the SS. And the brother of Princess Alice, a great-aunt to the Queen, was a Nazi who said that Hitler had done a “wonderful job”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article413083.ece

still can’t get over how the English Prince had the Gall to wear a Nazi uniform to a party few yrs ago as i saw on the News. I mean he’s English and a Prince! If that aint calling the kettle black!

Harry for all his juvenile behaviour is a British Prince not an English Prince.Still his actions were a bit stupid and crass.Mind you i was a bit stupid when i was 18 myself.

Actually, he’s German with the odd Greek relative…

Or Scottish or Welsh or French or Norse or… etc etc ad nauseum depending on how far back you go.
It’s curious how the same people who claim that someone of African or Indian extraction has as much right to call themselves British as a white anglo-saxon often deride the Royal family for being “German”.

Oh and as for the fancy dress - Nazis are funny and essentially ridiculous (as well of course as dashed bad hats) which is why we should take every oportunity we can to mock and debase them (as Wodehouse did with his Spode character back in the '30s and Mel Brooks has done for most of his career). The day we make them beyond mockery is the day that they begin to regain some glamour.

Edward VIII was known to be a Nazi sympathiser - that’s one of the major reasons why he didn’t last very long, Wallis Simpson was a very useful means of removing him without causing a diplomatic incident (although her Nazi sympathies may have contributed to the King’s - she was certainly a known security risk, passing information to teh German Embassy) . George VI was not a sympathiser but like most of those in power in the 1930s he’d been involved in WWI and wanted to avoid another war if possible.

I remember hearing the gas bill joke when I was in school. A teacher overheard and said that if it had been a certain colleague of hers who was listening in he would have kicked the joker “up and down the rugby field”
Still, at least he wasn’t being broadcast…
As for Prince Harry…I’m not really a Monarchist but I think people should lighten up. When I was at uni my housemate was in the rugby team and they had a fancy dress social themed “good and evil”. On the “evil” side (I presume so at least) were a group of several lads dressed as the Taliban. This was early 2002 so not long after 9/11 and with British troops fighting the real thing over in Afghanistan. One of them stood on the table and announced that they had taken some losses lately, so anyone interested in joining up should come and see him at the end of the night! This was received as it was meant, as a laugh and nothing more. Granted, Prince Harry is in the public eye, but this was a total overreaction mainly stirred up to sell papers.