Terrorists = War on Islam????

This purposefully not in the “militaria” section.

We are aware of the 12 pages of “information” Ironman has granted us regarding Islam and terrorism and narrow minded, saturated “hatred of the west”

Hopefully those posts can be moved out of hearts and minds.

Bluff

Well if it keeps on going the way it is thats how many of the public in the West will begin to view it, especially when images are hijacked by groups such as the BNP for their own flawed purposes.

If one wished to read the Koran (translated!), can anybody suggest a companion book to read with it for explanation?

Crab, when are you joining?

Crab_to_be will become Crab_is in November…

Oh, I can’t wait! Eight months of Regiment-induced happiness.

The clash of civilisations,
and
The Dignity of Difference

are both insightful reads, not solely on the Koran but on the relationship between Islamic and western cultures and politics. Read in conjunction with one another its a fairly blanced an solid basis for discussion (though “Dignity”, does have some rather tabloid moments to it in an effort to be attractive to the British market)

Crab,
My copy is unusual in that it’s in three columns per page.
First is Arabic script, the middle one transliterated into Roman letters, so you can “hear” the sound of it, and the third column is the English translation.
Publishing house is Dar al Furqan, Beirut.
IIRC I saw similar, possibly identical copies on eBay, of all places.
Try searching under Koran as your first spelling, then perhaps Qur’an.
To be honest, most translations I’ve seen use language very close to that of the St James Bible in tone.
It’s pretty easy to follow, although there are any number of “commentaries” to go along with it.
Sadly, some of these are the very texts much of the extremism is based on.

Thanks, both of you. I’ll look into it.

Its not that bad mate, November eh, I have a couple of mates at Cranwell and a fair few friends who have just gone through it, mind you they managed to get in while it was still 6 months…

For a ‘translation’ try Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall’s work, The Meaning of the Holy Qur’an.
ISBN 81-7476-005-9.

As the Qu’ran can only be read in Arabic and this book is in English, it is entitled ‘The Meaning of…’ I have read a couple of different ‘translations’ and feel that this is the best so far.
If anyone has read a better English language version please let me know.

For a ‘translation’ try Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall’s work, The Meaning of the Holy Qur’an.
ISBN 81-7476-005-9.

As the Qu’ran can only be read in Arabic and this book is in English, it is entitled ‘The Meaning of…’ I have read a couple of different ‘translations’ and feel that this is the best so far.
If anyone has read a better English language version please let me know.[/quote]

You’re right, of course.
The Qur’an can only be read in Arabic.
I should have said I had read it in translation.
Mine is by Abdullah Yusuf Ali.

Hans Kung, Is a german bloke, I know he has written on “most” of the major religions and normally very well, If he has written on Islam it would be well worth a look.

He compares not only the text, but the principles behind it and explores the Philosophy of the religion from an objective standpoint, asking all the questions that need asking. (not so sure on the objective, but very clever and erudite chap)

ISBN 81-7476-005-9.

If anyone has read a better English language version please let me know.[/quote]

You’re right, of course.
The Qur’an can only be read in Arabic.
I should have said I had read it in translation.
Mine is by Abdullah Yusuf Ali.[/quote]

Yeah, it makes sense that they would have the Qur’an in english. They’ve translated about every holy book into as many languages as possible. But anyway, it’s against the Koran to wage this kind of a war and to this kind of terrorist acts, those are carried out by extremeists who take the muslim holy book a bit to far.

For a Muslim, the Qur’an can only be read in Arabic.
All translations are considered to be “interpretations”.
Although I’ve read the translation, I’ll admit that’s why I’m working my way throught the “three column version”, to try to learn sufficient Arabic to read it in the original.

The English Version of the bible is only a variation :? the King James version was tweaked with a lot.

yeah, the Old Testament corrupted :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, the Old Testament corrupted :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :P[/quote]

Explain? Are you saying the Qu’ran is a inferior book?

As for an english translation, can you get one at Waterstones?

ISBN 81-7476-005-9.

As most Muslims are living in countries where Arabic is not being spoken, many of them just learn the phrases by rote, without understanding the real meaning and rely totaly on the interpretation by local imams (I have seen this with Muslim West Africans, My second wife was from a Muslim family in Freetown, Sierra Leone).

BTW, Hans Küng is a Roman-Catholic theologist from Switzerland, who is currently at odds with official Vatican doctrine. He is living and working in Germany.

Jan