The Argentine Occupation

What was life like for the Islanders after the Invasion.

For the people of the Falklands, occupation was at best demeaning, at worst terrifying.

And the chap’s treatment when he travelled through Argentina after being deported for “printing ‘anti-Argentine propaganda’ over the years”:

I went to the desk where the flights to Uruguay departed. There were no flights for another six hours or so. In those days, all foreigners in Argentina had to carry a little white photo-ID card. They asked for mine. When I showed them, they shouted something like: ‘He’s from Malvinas’. I was quickly surrounded by people. One old woman punched me repeatedly in the back. An old man spat all over me. One woman, who could speak good English, was ranting on about how Thatcher was going to nuke Buenos Aires (a bloody good idea I thought) and how Britain had forced her son to go to war. I couldn’t argue. They left me alone after a while. I’d had a good kicking. I felt pleased I hadn’t cried although I desperately wanted to.

I don’t think the Argies won any friends when they landed, something that may hinder their chances if the Islanders are ever polled on who they want to be part of!!!

Of course the other things they did was attempted to get all Islanders to drive on the wrong side of the road - which led to games of chicken apparently. And tried to impose Spanish on the Islanders as their “new” language.

Starving, beating and in some cases killing their conscripts, even before the Brits landed, probably didn’t win the Islanders “Hearts and Minds” either!!!

Were there any British casualties during the invasion?

The Argies mortared Moody Brook barracks, which lays lie their reported desire to take the place with no casualties and I know they had at least three of their own killed during the hostilities on the Falklands.

Were there any more or any Brits?

I don’t think there were any losses on either side at Georgia, although a frigate and a heli were shot up by the Marines on the Island.

The full story being that when they finally ran out of ammo, after using rifles, machine guns and a Carl Gustav to see off a heli, a frigate/corvette and a landing party, they surrendered. The Argentines couldn’t believe that there were so few!!!

No Brit cas during the invason, not through want of trying mind.

Moody Brook bore the marks of WP and HE grens inside, as it would have been marked in a house clearance.
It must have surprised the 601 boys to find that Royal had already deployed !

At least two 601 troops were slotted trying to get into Government House, I’m unsure of any cas in the Amtrak that was stopped.

Didn’t the Argies try to get the islander birds to chat and have fun with them?

Saw some pics that had been taken but the girls wouldn’t even look at the blokes.

They were taken back, because the Junta told them they were conquering heros retaking the islands and freeing the population. They thought they would be treated like heros instead they were treated like a bad smell.

No. The only british soldier who was wounded was at Georgias islands, reached on a leg by argentine machine gun fire.

The Argies mortared Moody Brook barracks, which lays lie their reported desire to take the place with no casualties and I know they had at least three of their own killed during the hostilities on the Falklands.

No. In the Operation “Rosario” Argentina suffered only one death. He was the Captain Giachino, from the navy special forces, who was killed trying to cope the Governor’s house. In the same place a medic was reached with rifles fire.
The other two soldiers that you are talking about died in the Operation “Azul”. They were argentine marines, into the Puma Helicopter which was shoot down in the Georgias on April the 3rd.

I don’t think there were any losses on either side at Georgia, although a frigate and a heli were shot up by the Marines on the Island.
The full story being that when they finally ran out of ammo, after using rifles, machine guns and a Carl Gustav to see off a heli, a frigate/corvette and a landing party, they surrendered. The Argentines couldn’t believe that there were so few!!!

Talking about the Operation “Azul” (blue), on April the 3rd two helicopters (a cargo helicopter, Puma; and an attack helicopter Alouette III) and two ships (a corvette “Guerrico” and a polar ship “Bahia Paraiso”) were moved to take the Georgias islands.
At first the Allouette made a patrol, and found millitary movements on Grytviken, the same place where the Puma was trying to land and disembark it second wave of marines (the first wave of 15 soldiers had had landed minutes before). There it was reached by at least 80 bullets. The pilot lost the controls and it crashed at the outsides from Pt Grytviken.

When the argentine helicopter was shoot down, the 15 marines that were landed before, the crew of the Puma and the unharmed marines on the Puma started an attack against the british Royal Marines, supported by another landing from the corvette.
Besides, the corvette Guerrico opened fire from the cost with its cannons and machine guns, and receiveng fire too.

The Allouette left his works as an assault helicopter and played a role of CSAR (Combat Safe and Rescue), taking away the Puma’s victims.

Five minutes later, a section of mortars were landed. At the same time the first white flags started to flame. The casualties: Two argentine marines deads, four argentine marines harmed, one british Royal Marine harmed.

Some pics:

Argentine Navy Corvette, ARA “Guerrico”, nowadays in service.

Argentine Navy Polar Ship ARA “Bahia Paraiso”, lost and sunk in an accident.

Port Grytviken, Georgias islands, in summer

Port Grytviken, Georgias islands, in winter

The polar ship Bahia Paraiso and the Corvette Guerrico, prepared to launch the attack. This picture was taken by the Allouette crew, in the Georgias islands, on April the 3rd 1982.

I’m sorry but I didn’t find any photograph from the british soldiers that April the 3rd…

Eagle didn’t the Argentine Navy Polar Ship ARA Bahia Paraiso sink after the Falklands war? She was also repainted and used as a Hospital ship during the war too. See my thread on “hosptial ships and search lights” or whatever I called it. She was the ship involved.

Yeah mate… The Bahia Paraiso was used, after the Georgias recovering, as a hospital ship. The same happened with the icebraker Almirante Irizar, that was used as a cargo ship in the recovering of the Malvinas islands, and then used as a hospital.

I said that the Bahía Paraíso was lost and sunk in an accident, but I didn’t say when that accident happened.

In 1989 the polar ship was supplying some Argentine Antarctic Bases, when crashed with a rock, in the coast of the Anver Island, not far from the Antarctic peninsula. Until today there are a lot of denunciations that near the ship, the gas-oil is still flowing.

Greetings! Saludos!