The death of Maj. John L. Smith.

I was looking around for information on Guadalcanal ace John L. Smith and was shocked to find that he committed suicide in 1973. Apparently he was depressed over losing a defense industry job. How sad. Anyone know anything more about him?

There are several mentions of John Lucien Smith and his flying accomplishments, including a photograph, in Eric Hammel’s Guadalcanal: Starvation Island. According to Hammel, Smith committed suicide in 1972 at age 57.

JT

Man, that’s just so sad I can’t stand it. I want to learn more about him.

So much has been written about 'Canal aces like Joe Foss, Joe Baur, Jeff DeBlanc, Marion Carl, etc. but you never read much about Smith except the stuff about his great leadership style and flying ability. Perhaps he was reticent about publicity or something like that.

John Lucien Smith was born 12/26/14. Graduated University of Oklahoma 1936. Recieved ROTC commission as 2nd LT. in the Army but resigned to join the Marines.

Completed flight training Pensecola 1939. Was a Captain in December 1941 and assigned as commander of VMF-223 which went to Guadalcanal in August 1942- the 1st to fly from Henderson Field.

Scored is 1st kill August 21st over a Zero. 5 days later he scored 2 twin engine bombers. Became an ace on the 29 with a Type 97 destroyed. The next day he score four more kills.

As attrition claimed the men of 223 by October only Smith and 8 other remained. On the 10th he was shot up badly as he scored his 19th kill.

Major Smith received the Medal of Honor of rhis achievements.

Smith commanded MAG 23 in 1943 and MAG 33 in 1953-54. Retired as Colonel in 1960 and later worked for Grumman for 10 years. He died June 10 1972 in Encino CA.

Decorations:

MoH, Navy Cross, Legion of Merit, DFC, Bronze Star, Air Medal with 2 gold stars and British DSO.

sad that he commited suicide.

I do not much about this man. But I am also not much interested in the Pacific Campaign. Probably that is the reason I do not know him.

I read somewhere in a book about the Pacific War that dealt mostly with facts, figures and statistics (as opposed to descriptions of campaigns and battles), that out of the total expenditures the US made in WW2, no more than 10% of that total ever went to the Pacific Theatre. So, folks, if this is indeed true, the Japanese were beaten while we fought them with both legs tied, one arm behind our backs and three more fingers taped together. Those other legs, arm and fingers went to our forces in Europe and our European, Canadian and Russian allies.