The Eagle Has Landed

anybody seen The Eagle Has LAnded ?

Not great but a definite worthwhile watch.

Lovely portrayal of Silesian Poles in Wehrmacht…

Opposite to what Ambrose tried to show in “D-day” and " Citizen Soldiers", I heard from Italian Campaign veterans, that some fanatically defended German strongpoints were manned by Polish Volksdeutches…

Cheers,

Lancer44

I liked that movie, Jack Higgins was a great writer, the script wa that good as the book but is a comom problem.

yes yes !! towards the end of the war the germans did recruit poles in their armies i think in the waffen ss

That’s true.

One of my favourite books. Its a pitty but film couldnt compare with the book! But also I can`t say the film is not worthy to look, so I vot good.

I think we need to explain something. Poles have never been recruited to Waffen SS. Hitler considered such idea as unacceptable.
In fact, there were some soldiers of polish origin, but they were recruited because they were on so-called “Volkslists” - they were recognized as German citizens or people of german origin, mainly from Silesia, Pomerania and Mazury areas.

Sorry. Read the book before Christmas (finished it Xmas Eve) and so when I saw the film I was crushingly disapointed. I HATED it! Especially the fact that in the film it’s Steiner’s idea that get’s them caught, whereas Himmler suggests it in the book.

Changing that, in my opinion, makes Steiner look like a complete and utter numpty.

I think there is a certain logic to that. The Volksdeutsche knew that if Germany loses, they will either get expelled from their homes by an independent Poland/Czechoslovakia, or will have to live with a harshly hostile population and government.

Which is pretty much what happened in Czechoslovakia and Poland, IIRC.

I hate to seem ignorant, maybe you fellows are discussing this for some other reason…

They weren’t Polish in the book and I’m pretty sure they weren’t Polish in the film either. They were German paratroopers pretending to be Polish SAS. They pretended to be Polish so that they could get away with being foreigners in England…

Wonderful book - as good as The Day Of The Jackal.

Abysmal film. :frowning:

They were pretending to be Polish paratroopers, not SAS.

I am a big fan of this movie.

A good one