The flip side of the Tiger ... - German Armored Forces & Vehicles | Gallery

The flip side of the Tiger ...

Tiger I thrown upside-down in the course of a heavy bombing attack in Normandy, June 1944. I recall seeing a postwar interview in which a commander of a Tiger II platoon explained that panzer formations were sometimes attacked by high-level heavy bombers when concealed in woods and undergrowth in Normandy during the "Overlord" campaign. Accuracy was not a feature of such localised carpet bombing. However, even a near miss from an aerial bomb could result in the vehicle being turned over or on its side or, in any event, severe injury to the crew through spalling. A direct hit on the upper deck, even of a Tiger, would most likely destroy the vehicle. The interviewee, who went through this experience on the receiving end, described it as "absolutely terrifying". Where I am, we are getting used to the flip side of the "Celtic Tiger". Think I prefer that ... Best regards, JR.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/german-armored-forces-vehicles/45972/the-flip-side-of-the-tiger-...

Oh yes, another point. Apparently, German tanks subjected to heavy bomber attacks, even if physically, to all appearances, undamaged, often had their normally excellent optical target-finding equipment knocked badly off-whack. "Bomber" Harris was, apparently, a bit hacked off at having to divert heavy bombers to attacks like this. Whatever he may have thought, such attacks do appear to have been fairly effective, one way or the other. Best regards, JR.