The Fuhrerbunker

As most of you probably know, the bunker in which Adolf Hitler spent his last days was called the Fuhrerbunker. Parts of it have survived two demolion attempts, and parts of the structure still stand, 35 feet underneath a parking grage somewhere in Berlin.

That is a image of how the bunker looked in the 1940s before it was first targeted by Soviet soldiers, and then by a Demo crew from Berlin. No one knows what lies there now, no excavations planned, nothing. It seems like no one is concerned about the future of the bunker, or the artifacts hidden there. What do you think?

would be really really interesting to see whats down there and how the bunker was made/decorated. i saw something on the old kgb headquarters and there was a group that went down to teh hidden underground bunker type thing (it wasnt a bunker, it was just hidden and underground) and they found all sorts of things. found old unmarked kgb cars, gas masks (incase of nukes) and other ssuch things

The bunker (or what is left of it, it was in former East Berlin, and the government of the GDR also destroyed quite a bit of it to buid several apartment blocks on top of it) has been sealed off to prevent it from becoming a shrine to neo-Nazis.
A few years ago the driver’s bunker of the Reichskanzlei was discovered. It contained several “heroic” murals of SS men, probably painted by one of the drivers. The place was searched by historians and the entrance then sealed with a few meters of concrete.

Jan

I really would have like to see it myself in person not just the footage; it’s a shame they are sealing off and demolishing all these places. :frowning:

does the movie downfall take part of the movie in there?

A lot of the movie is inside the bunker. Are you asking if it took place in the real one? I don’t quite understand it but a large portion of the film does take place inside the bunker. Excellent film

The real bunker is not accessible, in fact there is almost nothing visible of it except for a small mound on a piece of lawn.

Jan

i heard it from the radio, saying a merchant has bought one of the german bunker and convert it into some kind of business purpose, is that true, just curious

There are plenty of old WW2 bunkers in Germany. After the war, various governments tried to break some of them down, notably the British tried to make a statement by blowing up Flak tower at Zoological garden in Berlin ( a huge bunker higher than the surrounding houses with an AA battery on top to fire over the roofs). They filled the whole thing with explosives and pressed the button. Except for the bunker developing Louis Armstrong cheeks for a second or two nothing happened. The thing was too massive.
It was later removed by first blowing up the inside walls and nibbling away on the outer walls from the inside, using the outer shell to catch the fragments until the structure was so weak that they could demolish the rest.

Many bunkers were converted into nuke proof shelters during the cold war. Now some are used as guaranteed soundproof rehearsal rooms for amateur rock bands.

Jan

From my recollection, some of the Zoo bunker still exists. Also from experience working in NATO in the 90s, we still used quite a few Bunkers, you havent lived until you have smelled the stench of the toilets in the Bunker at Erwin.

Anyway I can’t read that text. What room did Hitler kill himself in? I assume it has to be towards the right as Goebbels room was near his wasn’t it?

The text on the picture is in Czech. If we had some Czechs amongst us…

I believe it was in Hitler’s office/study that he committed suicide

at Erwin?,oh,i can´t insult a lady,IM A GENTLEMAN! (arrogant but gentleman)

the guilty is:http://www.fbhc.org/Patients/BetterHealth/Menopause/home.html________________________

I don´t recommend you to insulte a moderator and officer again[/quote]

Erwin is a place you ninny!

And why do you think Im a Lady?

at Erwin?,oh,i can´t insult a lady,IM A GENTLEMAN! (arrogant but gentleman)

the guilty is:http://www.fbhc.org/Patients/BetterHealth/Menopause/home.html________________________

I don´t recommend you to insulte a moderator and officer again[/quote]

Erwin is a place you ninny!

And why do you think Im a Lady?[/quote]

STOP !

Whoa lads !
I think we have a breakdown in comms here due to a misunderstanding of language.
It’s a common ocurrence on international sites.

Firefly, I think (although I may be in error,) that the ‘lady’ comment is a Latin put down in this case sent as a ‘counter-insult’ to the one Erwin Schätzer had assumed you meant towards him.

Erwin, Firefly wasn’t trying to insult you at all, as he pointed out above, Erwin is also a location !
Don’t take the ‘moderator and officer’ bit so heavily either, the site is about exchanging correct information and pictures of (mainly) WWII.
The ‘ranks’ we have here are just for fun so lie back, chill out & open a cold cerveza !

( Besides, a real Sgt Maj will bollock a 2Lt at any time or place he chooses ! :wink: )

ok,excuse me,i thought you was taking a piss on me,like you did when you said: im out for a week,and they put erwin as a mod!.

Im sorry,my apologizes.
i call the women i dk lady,it´s formal.

cerveza

i thought you we´re woman :oops: ,you said that in your first sign,and what about canaris?.

Canaris? Sign?

Ah you must be talking about my first signature?

Naw mate Im not sure you would understand, but it was a line from a Brtish Comedy series

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/littlebritain/clips/series1.shtml

At the time the only avatar I could have that was diffrent was a Laydeee…

look at the site and see what I mean.

:oops: doh!

Can we get back on topic please :?: