The islanders speak

This Saturday, 30th June, on the history Channel at 8 p.m. (I don’t know whether this is European or British time) is a documentary about the treatment of the islanders by the Argentines during the occupation, told by the islanders themselves. Looking at the listings, it appears that this is only on the Dutch cable version of the (British) history Channel, so I will give a summary once I have seen it.

Yea saw that looks like it should be good. There is another relative one coming about a man that was burned after an attack on the ship he was on. Anyhoo looks interesting as well.

So you get the same version of the history Channel as I do then. I wonder why the schedule is different for the British version?

Can you also give a synopsis once you’ve seen it?

If its the same one, its already been on the History channel in the UK. More details here:

http://www.thehistorychannel.co.uk/site/tv_guide/full_details/British_history/programme_3519.php

Interesting synopsis:

Argentine troops marched into the Falklands on 2nd April 1982. The invasion unleashed a seventy-four day war in which 255 Britons and 655 Argentineans would be killed. In this two hour documentary we tell the Falklanders’ own story, revealing was it was like to live under a brutal military occupation. The men and women who lived through the war tell their stories of curfew, arrest, deportation and resistance.

The documentary features a detailed appraisal of the political situation that preceded the war, as the islanders themselves discuss the heated international climate of the 1980s. Unique video footage shot clandestinely by the Falklanders sits alongside extensive archival footage of the occupation shot by the Argentine news cameraman Eduardo Rotondo.

We hear from farmer’s wife Trudi McPhee, who tells of her terror at seeing Argentine soldiers approaching her land with guns. Charlie McKenzie, the lighthouse keeper, explains that he was one of the first people to spot the invaders coming in from the sea at Cape Pembroke . We also talk to Major Mike Norman of the Royal Marines, who comprehensively explains every detail of the Argentine advance. Major Phil Summers, the commander of the local ‘Dad’s Army’, reveals how the islanders responded to the unexpected invasion.

The documentary describes civilian life during the occupation, the organised resistance and the activities of the British Government to mobilize troops in order to reclaim the islands. We see what life was like under Argentine occupation: troops in the street, Spanish street signs, Spanish currency, and cars suddenly forced to drive on the right.

We look at how the dramatic events of 1982 have altered the landscape we see on the islands today. The Falklands are now scattered with minefields; they lie in dangerous areas shut off with barbed wire. We also outline the exuberant moment of liberation, and deal with the happenings and unanswered questions of the post war period.

Should be good.

1. Not sure…but the History channel here in Norway is new or just came back but its operated by History channel UK.

2. Sure will

Spanish street signs, Spanish currency, and cars suddenly forced to drive on the right.

The horror…utter horror. If I were crazy and president I would attack the UK just to make you guys drive on the right. Operation Driving Holocaust. :D:D:D

You would have to be crazy. We’d never let you past the beaches. :smiley:

Why people in places like Europe and America insist on driving on the wrong side of the road is beyond me.

Spanish currency

Big nonsense, the argentines only can impose currency of Argentina, not from Spain.

A quick guide for dummies.

Argentina, gaucho, tango, great bbq, people doing goals with the hand:

Spain: Sangria, paella, Ibiza, people with funny hats stabbing bulls for fun.

Spanish street signs

Worry about that ?, Well…I strongly suggest the bennies never visit USA, their heads might explode. :wink:

Okay, rough synopsis:

The islanders were not very happy with the occupation, and resisted in what ways they could.
They were surprised that the invading troops thought that they would be happy to see them.
The islanders were not treated very well: suspected potential troublemakers were imprisoned under armed guard,1 of the guards saying to one of those detained “I’ve been killing people in Argentina for 10 years, and I don’t want to have to kill you too”. The entire civilian population of Goose Green was imprisoned in a hall with no beds and only two toilets between them all (50 or 60 people, if I remember correctly), IN DIRECT CONTRAVENTION OF THE GENEVA CONVENTIONS.
Major Patricio Dowling (secret police chief) was overheard saying “the best thing to do would be to kill all the civilians, because then there is no more population problem” in a pub.