the Italian campaign

does anyone know about the italian campaign especially the nearing to rome june 1944

Yes, what do you want to know?

hi Erik, thanks for your reply. looking for info regarding the events of 3rd june 1944 at Ardea when Sgt M A W Rogers was awarded the VC for his heroic actions. He was in the Wiltshire regiment and took on three machine gun posts all on his own. There is little said about it although he was awarded the VC. There is no mention about Sgt Rogers in the recently published books about the VC by max hastings or michael ashcroft

This took me about a minute on google…

it took me a minute as well i am after articles from people that were there

found the following in ww2 peoples war. loads of articles which may help find out nfo
Saturday 3rd June 1944 is a day that will not be forgotten by any of us who took part in the attack on North East Spur. It is in Battalion records that every 3rd June shall be known as “Sgt. Rogers VCMM Day”. Gilb Mullins and I went into the attack with C Company to take Point 51. It was high ground North West of Ardea. D Company’s objective was Point 57. Having taken Point 51, C Company pushed forward in an attempt to reach North East Spur, their final objective.

The fighting lasted about seven hours and enemy resistance was very stubborn and fought from excellent defensive positions. C Company were checked just before reaching North East Spur owing to intense enemy fire power and casualties. The Carrier Platoon were then ordered to take North East Spur supported by C Company and a troop of tanks. The position was wired and mined and very strongly defended by the enemy. The Carrier Platoon advanced through machine gun fire until they reached the enemy wire that was 70 yards from their objective. At this point the Platoon was under the intense fire of several Spandau nests firing from 50 to 100 yards, and they sustained a number of casualties. I saw “Bubbles” Boylen killed outright and a pal of “Pop” Comers. We had been talking and joking with them on our way up. The Platoon, checked by the wire and intense fire from the Spandaus’, took cover and returned the fire preparatory to gapping the wire. Sgt. Rogers however, without hesitation continued to advance alone firing his Tommy gun. He scrambled through the wire, ran across the mined area and destroyed two of the Spandau nests with his Tommy gun and grenades. By now Sgt. Rogers was 100 yards ahead of his platoon and had penetrated 30 yards inside the enemy defences. He had drawn onto himself the fire of nearly all the enemy Spandaus and had thrown their defences into confusion. Inspired by the example of their Platoon Sergeant the remainder of the platoon breached the enemy wire and began the assault. Still alone and penetrating deeper into the enemy positions, Sgt. Rogers, whilst attempting to silence a third Spandau post, was blown off his feet by a grenade which burst beside him and wounded him in the leg. Undaunted, he stood up still firing his Tommy gun and moved on towards the enemy spandau post. He was shot and killed at point blank range. Sgt. Rogers determination, fearless devotion to duty and superb courage carried his platoon on to their objective by sheer inspiration and example in the face of a determined enemy in a strongly defended position.

By his heroic self- sacrifice Sgt. Rogers displayed gallantry worthy of the finest traditions of the service. His Majesty King George V1 had been graciously pleased to approve the award of the Victoria Cross posthumously to Sgt. Rogers 5568932 of Support Company Carrier Platoon.