The Last Tommy

From nearly five and a half million British soldiers who fought in the Great War, only five remain alive today, four in the UK and one in Canada.

There is a growing support for the idea of giving the last survivor a full state funeral when he passes away, as the Australians have done recently. This is discussed on the Army Rumour Service. The State Funeral is as yet only a suggestion, not official policy. I will be writing to my MP (amongst others) to show my support for this suggestion. Others wishing to support this campaign should write to their MPs and also consider writing to those higher up the hierarchy, including the PM.

I have posted this here for the benefit of our users that do not read ARRSE. Although aimed at British users, letters of support sent to the Prime Minister from overseas would be most welcome.

There was a very interesting programme on UK TV last night about these guys, with interviews by the remaining few, all aged 103+.

As to the value of a state funeral, the jury is out as far as Im concerned, one half of my heart says yes, the other half says that it would just be a political bandwagon.

As most of the old, old men stated in the programme, they spent 80 years getting on with their lives and didnt dwell on the war.

So my honest answer is, Im not too sure about the premise of it.

You are right on the possibility of a political bandwagon. I would support the idea of the funeral as an organised expression of thanks and remembrance towards all those who fought in that war, as opposed to aimed at an individual for surviving the longest out of his peers. I see it as something comparable to the Unknown Warrior - the last of the Tommies being the representative of all who fought in that war.

The unknown warrior is a unique thing. I think we really should let the family decide. As almost all of the people from that era are no longer with us I really dont think we should impose 2005 values on 1905 ideals.

Watched the programme last night - a truly moving programme about true heroes. Have to admit, it got a bit misty in Casa BDL a few times last night.

Part two is shown next tuesday.

As for the state funeral - I hope it happens IF the guy wants it. It has to be up to them if it happens or not. If it doesn’t happen, I would hope some other type of memorial takes place for all of them men who gave everything for their country

I agree completely with the IF part of the state funeral. Perhaps the better option would be to write to the appropriate people to encourage them to give the families this choice. It has proven popular in Australia.

well,the great war was like a century ago!,i don’t think most of people can live that old!.

You are right Erwin, only 4 britons still alive now I think, who fought in that War.

i think u all have a good point i think it shold be up to the familes as well but up to the person were he should be laid to rest what i. mean example if he wanted to be laid to rest in canada. or were he served with his brothers who never came home and if he choses to be were he served that govermant[canada] should pay the transport for him to go and be with his brothers