"The Myth of 'The Great Patriotic War'" by Dr. Roman Serbyn

by Dr. Roman Serbyn

As Nazi Germany capitulated to the Allies on May 8, 1945, a wave of celebrations swept across the Western world, and the date became known as V-E Day, for Victory in Europe. In the East, the Soviet government ordered official festivities for May 9, and it was this subsequent date that entered the Soviet calendar as “Victory Day.” Under Leonid Brezhnev, on this pseudo-anniversary of their pseudo-victory, Ukrainian citizens of the Soviet Union commemorated their participation in the pseudo- "Great Patriotic War."1 Ironically, the old holiday survived the collapse of the “Evil Empire,” and the government of independent Ukraine continues to honor this leftover from the country’s colonial past as part of its own national celebrations.

President Leonid Kuchma is particularly attentive to this year’s 55th anniversary of the Soviet Union’s first Victory Day celebrations. Veterans will be issued special medals with inscriptions “For Bravery,” “Bohdan Khmelnytsky” and “Defender of the Fatherland.” Scholarships set up in honor of war heroes will be made available to students of military establishments. A new Memorial Book will list the names of war combattants, their military units and awards; preparatory work will begin for the construction of a memorial complex to honor the victors, and a prize will be awarded for the best historical work on the war. A contingent of Ukrainian veterans will be sent to join in a united Victory Parade in Moscow. Since Ukraine has 500,000 combattants of World War II and another 5.5 million veterans of non-military war service, the cost of the medals alone is estimated at some 90 million hrv (roughly $10 million). In view of the economic difficulties in which Ukrainian veterans find themselves today, one wonders why the government didn’t deem it more beneficial to spend the money and energy on improving their living standards rather than on commemorations built on myths - and on anti-Ukrainian myths, to boot?

The second world war gave rise to many political myths, three of which have survived the collapse of Communism and the Soviet Empire and continue to be revered in Ukraine to the present day. The terms “Great Patriotic War,” “Liberation” and “Victory” appeared in the Communist party newspaper Pravda in the first days of the Germano-Soviet conflict, and were used as propaganda slogans until the war ended. The accompanying battle cry - “For Fatherland, for Stalin” - was discarded after Stalin’s death, but the other three slogans became the main pillars of a new consolidating myth.

Under Brezhnev the cult of the “Great Patriotic War” was promoted as a means of propping up the fading founding myth of the “Great October Revolution” and the waning interest in Lenin. Gradually, “the Great Patriotic War” acquired a new stereotyped image and this engineered vision of the war was passed to the Soviet people as their compulsory “collective memory.” It constituted obligatory axioms for Soviet history books and became a focus for the annual celebrations during the work-free Victory Day.

The American political scientist John Girling defines myths as “emotionally charged beliefs, expressing the way people experience formative periods in their history.” These beliefs can be derived from a combination of facts and fantasies, they may be constructed for a good or an evil cause, but they are always fashioned with the interest of the mythmakers in mind.

“The Great Patriotic War” was always bad history, but as myth it proved an effective tool in the hands of the Soviet propagandists and educators. It bound generations of Soviet citizens to the empire and mezmerized the subjected nations to such an extent that they were unable to perceive the empire’s inherent hostility to them.

Since the myth is Russocentric it can still be useful to present-day Russia, but what benefits can Ukraine gain by adhering to it? In the hope of strengthening its fragile independence, Ukraine has opportunistically and quite unwisely latched on to a cult that by its very nature is inimical to Ukraine’s existence as a free state.

Contrary to what generations of Soviet children were taught, the slogan of the “Great Patriotic War” was not of popular origin. One day after Hitler invaded the Soviet Union, Pravda published a long article under the title “The Great Patriotic War of the Soviet People.” In that piece we also find references to the country’s “liberation” and “victory” over the enemy. To achieve that victory, each Soviet citizen is asked to sacrifice “his energy, his will, his knowledge, and, if necessary, his life.” The article concluded: “Victory will come all that faster and will be all the more complete, the tighter we bind the great family of the peoples of the USSR around our Soviet government, our great and famous Communist Party, and our wise leader, the head of the Soviet government - Comrade Stalin.” From the very start, it was not the Soviet people but the Party and the “Red Führer” who led, inspired and drove their subjects to inhuman sacrifices, in order to save the Eurasian empire.

The notion of a Russian “patriotic war” was not invented by the Communists - they borrowed it from Napoleon’s 1812 attack on Tsar Alexander. The Party only added the adjective “great” and applied it to Stalin’s struggle with Hitler. The patriotic character of the war allegedly revealed itself in the fervor supposedly expressed by the Soviet citizens in defense of their fatherland. How strange for a people - abused and brutalized like no other - to display so much enthusiasm to save the Communist paradise for their persecutors. Could a true Fatherland treat its children like slaves and cannon fodder, and condemn them as “traitors” when they fell into enemy hands, as Stalin’s empire did? Even Hitler did not dare go that far.

During the war, Ukrainians could have hardly considered as their fatherland a country that threw hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian teenagers, untrained and often unarmed, against a seasoned and well-armed enemy. This is precisely what the Soviets did when they returned to Ukraine in 1944, telling the youngsters: “acquire your weapons from the enemy with your hands.” Did Ukrainians consider as a “war for the fatherland” the defense of an empire that starved to death millions of their relatives and kept the rest of the nation in slavery? The alleged upheaval of the Ukrainian population in defense of their merciless Soviet fatherland was a fabrication imparted into a collective memory, concocted by means of falsified history books and artfully staged public holidays. Milovan Djilas, Marshal Tito’s envoy to the USSR, gives us a more authentic picture of Ukraine during the war. Visiting Uman in 1944, after the region was retaken by the Soviet forces, Mr. Djilas observed:

“It was not possible to conceal the passive attitude of the Ukrainians toward the war and toward Soviet victories. The people seemed to me sombre and reserved, and they paid no attention to us. Although the officers with whom we were in contact concealed the Ukrainians’ behavior, or pretended it was better than it was, our Russian chauffer cursed the Ukrainians’ mothers because their sons had not fought better, so that now the Russians had to liberate them.” (Milovan Djilas, “Conversations With Stalin.” London: 1962, p. 48.)

It is precisely this “liberation” by the Russians, that exposes the sham of the “patriotic war” and the hoax while begging the question of “liberation.” To liberate is to set free. Western allies freed the half of Europe from which they drove out the Germans. Foreign occupation gave way to national independence, and totalitarian regimes were replaced by democratic ones. This happened in France, Belgium, etc. Even defeated Germany was freed from her own totalitarian regime and eventually granted complete national independence (at least in the case of West Germany).

Central and East Europe received only partial liberation. A certain amount of national sovereignty and civic liberties was recovered by the new satellites of Russia. Partial liberation came to Russia, cleared of German occupation but remaining under a totalitarian regime. As for Ukraine, it was not liberated in any sense at all - all Ukraine did was to change one foreign totalitarian master for another. There is a fundamental difference between what the end of the war with Germany brought to Russia and to Ukraine: Russia regained national freedom; Ukraine for a while continued its uneven struggle against Russian imperialism and then lost all freedom for another 40 years.

When one considers all the atrocities committed by the Soviet regime against the Ukrainian people during the six long years of World War II, the mind boggles at the thought that Ukraine today can celebrate the bogus “victory” in the sham “patriotic war.” This is not to say that the Soviet empire was not a major victor in the European war, or that Ukrainians did not contribute to this victory. But the victory belonged to Stalin and the party - and not to the Soviet citizenry, not even to the Russian people, and certainly not to Ukrainians.

Cont’d

Part II:

Some 5 million to 6 million Ukrainians fought in the Soviet Army, and about half of them lost their lives in the struggle. Many of them were honest, brave and patriotic; they may have wished to bring freedom to Ukraine, and they may have been true heroes. But they did not liberate Ukraine, for that was beyond their power. It is time that Ukrainians face the tragic fact that the Ukrainian military in the Red Army were only a cog in the great totalitarian machine, and instruments cannot be victors.

In his poem “Victory Day,” Maksym Rylsky spoke of May 9 as “the day that Marshal Stalin gave us.” The perceptive poet understood that the holiday was Stalin’s to give because victory itself belonged to him - and not to the people. What the poet could not foresee was that the final Soviet victory would come in Ukraine only after another famine, another deportation of innocent victims and the destruction of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) had taken their toll of countless victims. The Red Army’s final victory in the “Great Patriotic War” was its victory over Ukraine and not for Ukraine.

World War II was one of the most tragic events in Ukrainian history. Ukraine lost over 8 million people - both military and civilians - more than either Russia or Germany. Coming on the heels of the horrific Famine-Genocide, and followed by the new Stalinist post-war repressions, the war years stunted the growth of the Ukrainian nation, and the effects of this calamity are still felt today. The hype of the “Victory Day” celebrations and the hoax of the “Great Patriotic War” served the Soviet regime in drawing the people’s attention away from the misery of the war, giving them a false sense of self-importance and binding them to the vicious regime that oppressed them. It was an effort to turn a vale of tears into a mountain of joy, a Roman circus in its most cynical form.

The countless victims of the war and the veterans who have survived the ordeal deserve a more authentic and dignified remembrance from an independent and democratic Ukraine. Western democracies remember their war victims and honor them on Remembrance Day, on November 11, the day the first world war ended. That date has no significance in Ukrainian history, and so another date (even May 8 or 9) could be chosen by Ukraine as a day to honor the men and women who throughout Ukrainian history gave their lives for Ukrainian freedom. But it must be a dignified Remembrance Day.

1 The usual translation of the Russian expression “Velikaia Otechestvennaia Voina” (Ukrainian: “Velyka Vitchyzniana Viina”) as “The Great Patriotic War” can be misleading. “Otechestvennaia” is an adjective derived from “otets” (father), through “otechestvo” (native land, fatherland, i.e. motherland). A more accurate translation would be “the great fatherland war” or “the great war in defense of the fatherland.” [Back to Text]

Dr. Roman Serbyn is professor of history at the University of Quebec in Montreal.

Copyright © The Ukrainian Weekly, May 7, 2000, No. 19, Vol. LXVIII

Once again another ignorant American decides he’s an expert on Ukraine because he can find Ukrainian nationalist editorials on the internet. The statistics of Ukrainians in the Red Army, partisans, and those killed by the Nazis prove whose side the majority of Ukrainians were on, in addition to the reports of the Ukrainian nationalists themselves.

When did I ever claim “Ukrainian scholarship?” Claiming ‘scholarship’ on the internet using Canadian internet sources is the providence of idiots. :slight_smile: Thou is the one proclaiming anointment to speak for Ukrainians, despite their elected gov’ts policies stating otherwise. Not I. Let’s try to stick to the facts shall we?

Dr. Roman Serbyn is professor of history at the University of Quebec in Montreal.

Who is Douglas Tottle and what are his ‘qualifications’ again? He allowed the KGB to partially ghost write a book for him using selected and biased applied archives?

And isn’t his book now only available on the internet?

BTW, he’s a Canadian “expert” on the Ukraine, I thought you liked those.:slight_smile:

The statistics of Ukrainians in the Red Army, partisans, and those killed by the Nazis prove whose side the majority of Ukrainians were on, in addition to the reports of the Ukrainian nationalists themselves.

But they were still killed, extra-judicially, were they not? I guess only pro-Stalinist Russian “nationalist” opinions are allowed in the forum, eh?

BTW, I do not totally agree with the extent of the criticism contained in this article. But he certainly has a point. And if we can question the “war-crimes” of Allied bombing, can we surely discuss all?

Wow. Must come to the defense of our Ukrainian members, here. A country, as well as a race, NEEDS its heroes. No matter what ANYone else thinks about them. As this is an international forum, I am a little puzzled at what you were attempting to accomplish, here, Nickd.

As a former US Soldier and Marine, Enlisted and Officer, I can appreciate what is being done for the soldiers and fighting civivllians of the Ukraine. Perhaps it would be better to spend the funds and effort on more day-to-day necessaties, but who are we to judge what another country deems appropriate?

I would like to add that, in light of the fact that it came off as a pot-stirring exercise, why don’t we try to be a little more cautious in our attitudes. The old feelings of West vs East are not that far away for us to be taunting each other. I much prefer the “New World” and hope that we can improve on what we have instead of beating it down, as we seem so wont to do.

TW

There are no actual ‘Ukrainian’ members here. Perhaps you should ask actual Ukrainians of what they think of their Russian friend’s comments on the Holmador (the two or three Famines exacerbated by Soviet authorities for political gain)?

Because it’s crossed my mind to provide links to actual Ukrainian sites, because indeed, their perspective is rather lacking…

As a former US Soldier and Marine, Enlisted and Officer, I can appreciate what is being done for the soldiers and fighting civivllians of the Ukraine. Perhaps it would be better to spend the funds and effort on more day-to-day necessaties, but who are we to judge what another country deems appropriate?

I would like to add that, in light of the fact that it came off as a pot-stirring exercise, why don’t we try to be a little more cautious in our attitudes. The old feelings of West vs East are not that far away for us to be taunting each other. I much prefer the “New World” and hope that we can improve on what we have instead of beating it down, as we seem so wont to do.

TW

Thank you for your service, but I think you need to read the entire board firstly sir before you make such overweening statements…

Hello,

this pseudo-anniversary of their pseudo-victory

You see, this like the greatest phrase to celebrate the almighty stupidity. It is so ridicules that it just makes me speechless. In fact I feel humiliated by just thinking I have reply on this one! It is like I trying to prove that I am not a camel but a human!

The whole article starts by absolute lie paragraph. Surrender of the Germans on the western front does not make 8th of May the victory day. That is western allies that tried to “steal” the victory day.

Best regards
Igor Korenev

Nickdfresh simply loves to post such things which make us speechless. Natural-born yellow press editor-in-chief.

In fact I feel humiliated by just thinking I have reply on this one!

That’s why replies to this thread are not very nice to topic starter.

Hi Sneaksie;)
I glad you’re back.
Don’t consider seriously Nickdfresh post. He is good guy but living in US he could imagine what the Great Patriotic War was for the USSR population . He began this thread to bother me to answer for my US-critical points.

Cheers.

Don’t confuse the “Russians” and Jasa.
Jasa simply has it’s own patriotic points. IMHO very interesting points. He is slav but not russian.
Now about Holmador. Searching the net i find very interesting information.
Did you hear about Lazar Kaganovich:

Lazar Moiseyevich Kaganovich (Kogan), of Jewish descent, was born in Kubany, near Kiev, Ukraine, in 1893. In 1911 he joined the Jewish-founded Communist Party and became involved with the Bolsheviks (Lower East Side New York Jews). Kaganovich took an active part in the 1917 takeover of Christian Russia by Communism and rose rapidly in the Party hierarchy.

From 1925 to 1928, he was first secretary of the party organization in Ukraine and by 1930 was a full member of the Politburo.

Kaganovich was one of a small group of Stalin’s top sadists pushing for very high rates of collectivization after 1929. He became Stalin’s butcher of Christian Russians during the late 1920s and early 1930s when the Kremlin (jews) launched its war against the kulaks (small landowners who were Christians) and implemented a ruthless policy of land collectivization. The resulting state-organized forced famine, was a planned genocide and killed 7,000,000 Ukrainians between 1932 and 1933, and inflicted enormous suffering on the Soviet Central Asian republic of Kazakhstan.

Josef Stalin (Dzhugashvili) altered census figures to hide the millions of famine deaths when the Ukraine and northern Caucasus region had an extremely poor harvest in 1932, just as Stalin was demanding heavy requisitions of grain to sell abroad to finance his industrialization program which was on top of enforced collective farming of 1929. Stalin is conservatively estimated to have been responsible for the murder and/or starvation of 40,000,000 Russians and Ukrainians during his reign of terror, while the total deaths resulting from the de-kulaklization and famine, by way of Kaganovich, can be conservatively estimated at about 14,500,000.

On any analysis, Kaganovich, was one of the worst mass murderers in history, and little wonder that during World War II large numbers of Ukrainians greeted the Germans as liberators, with many joining the Waffen-SS to keep Communism from enslaving all of Europe
http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-leaders-kaganovich.html

I don’t agree with the fugures but it certainly has the point.
Thus Holmador was not only in the Ukrain but also in South Russia (Kuban) where i personaly live.
It was the revenge for anti-semitic movement and supporting the White army during the Civil war.

Hello,

What is “holmodor”? I have heard of GOLODOMOR (means roughly “famine death”).

And I agree with Chevan that the target was not specificaly Ukranians, but the enemies of the Soviet regim as such.

Best regards
Igor Korenev

Hi from sunny Krasnodar Egorka :slight_smile:
Welcome to the our forum. Here’s a lot of interesting.
Sure you right
it was GOLODOMOR but i think for the Nicdfresh there’s no any difference: Holmodor :slight_smile: :slight_smile: or something like that. He obviously nothing know about Russian and Ukrainian history indeed.

Cheers.

You make some very good points I cannot deny. The Red Army indeed inflicted over 75% of German casualties in WWII. And this fact has only very recently been acknowledged in the West…

But if we’re free to engage in Holocaust or Holmodor denial, or the rampant likening of strategic bombing to Nazi/Imperialist Japanese atrocities on this site, then no discussion is off the table.

BTW, if you read the author closely (an I do not agree to the extent in which he makes his case), he gives credit to the Russian people more so than the Kremlin…

Oh well. I have what we call a thick skin. Again, others’ here have made what some would refer to as ‘offensive statements’ on strategic bombing (as if the USSR didn’t benefit from it) and have questioned the numbers of Jewish deaths in the Holocaust, or indeed if one ever took place. It’s pretty 8interesting that those that are so skeptical of others’ gov’ts and cultural movements as so sensitive and blind regarding their own.

I guess we can have only questions regarding everybody elses’ dark historical events, but not our own?

Would any Russian here call Stalin a good human being, simply because he was in charge?

I don’t, he’s also an American, a US citizen apparently. Much like his main Holomodor denier-source is Canadian and had no discernible scholarship in history, or any other formal education. So what?..

Now about Holmador. Searching the net i find very interesting information.
Did you hear about Lazar Kaganovich:

I don’t agree with the fugures but it certainly has the point.
Thus Holmador was not only in the Ukrain but also in South Russia (Kuban) where i personaly live.
It was the revenge for anti-semitic movement and supporting the White army during the Civil war.

Yeah, I know the fact that he’s a Jew makes a big difference to you. :rolleyes: Only, Stalin wasn’t Jewish (nor even Russian), neither was most of his high command. All this means is that many of the initial Bolsheviks were from Jewish backgrounds, a race that more traditionally combated their communal isolation via an emphasis on education, making them more likely to becoming part of the “intelligentsia” that was the vanguard of the first revolutions, as most communists were from either the upper classes, or from the intellectual elites of 1900-39 period. But I’m pretty sure there were plenty or Orthodox and Catholic bastards in there as well.

Russians certainly suffered in all three of the famines, and suffered greatly under their gov’t. But the Ukrainians were the ones that had their foodstuffs confiscated and bore the largest brunt of the horrors. It was simply a natural disaster combined with political policy.

So why you caled Jasa posts as as Russian?

Yeah, I know the fact that he’s a Jew makes a big difference to you. :rolleyes:

Yes, imagine it for yourself.
I don’t like the fact that world jewish Mass media keep the common silence about Jewish genocide of millions of Christians in Russia in 1918-1922 but every year they convict all the world in moral guilt for the Holocaust.

Only, Stalin wasn’t Jewish (nor even Russian), neither was most of his high command. All this means is that many of the initial Bolsheviks were from Jewish backgrounds, a race that more traditionally combated their communal isolation via an emphasis on education, making them more likely to becoming part of the “intelligentsia” that was the vanguard of the first revolutions, as most communists were from either the upper classes, or from the intellectual elites of 1900-39 period. But I’m pretty sure there were plenty or Orthodox and Catholic bastards in there as well.

vanguard?
Don’t forget pliase this fucking jewish “vanguard” was guilt for the Big Red Therror in 1918-1922 and for famine in Ukraine and south Russian.
The methods of this “vanguard” were extremaly ferocious.The manies of bolshevic atrosities to the Christians can be very convincingly explaned the national origin of this “vanguard”

Hello,

By the way, could we, please, start calling the thing GOLODOMOR? I.e. the right way… please… Otherwise holmodor reminds me of both vegitable pomidor and town Holmogory.

Best regards

And another point. Once again. Golodomor was not targeting Ukranians because they were Ukranians. Can you see the difference between Golodomor on one side and Jewish holocaust and the german Libensraum policy on the other side?

Best regards
Igor Korenev

I don’t recall saying exactly that. And who cares if I did? It’s irrelevant, he apparently was proud of his Slavic heritage and felt some kinship with the old USSR and that’s fine. We had some disagreements. He has apparently decided to stop posting, and I am uncomfortable discussing people that are no longer here lest people think I am attacking him.

Yes, imagine it for yourself.
I don’t like the fact that world jewish Mass media keep the common silence about Jewish genocide of millions of Christians in Russia in 1918-1922 but every year they convict all the world in moral guilt for the Holocaust.

There you go with the “Protocols of the Elders of Zion” conspiracy crap again. :rolleyes:

The “Jewish” genocide was actually an atheistic pogrom carried out under the banner of communism. Did not Marx say “religion was the opiate of the people” or something to that effect?

vanguard?
Don’t forget pliase this fucking jewish “vanguard” was guilt for the Big Red Therror in 1918-1922 and for famine in Ukraine and south Russian.
The methods of this “vanguard” were extremaly ferocious.The manies of bolshevic atrosities to the Christians can be very convincingly explaned the national origin of this “vanguard”

Obviously you don’t get what I mean or have mistranslated “vanguard.” And the Bolsheviks were far more brutal under dear Comrade Stalin, who closed churches and attacked the clergy more so than any Jews. And he was an ex-priest, or at least was training to become one!

Why do you distill everything down to some Jewish conspiracy? You know as well as I that most of those that served the Soviet state were not Jewish but were born Orthodox.

Is this some innate paranoia or hatred of Jews? (and no, I am not Jewish and am unaware of any Jewish lineage I may or may not have…)