The next Medal of Honor game

EA’s next Medal of Honor video game is getting a lot of attention recently. The main reason being that the plot of the game will take place in Afghanistan, depicting events from the 2001 war against the Talibans, and that online players will be portraying terrorists in the multiplayer mode.

Quotes from Wikipedia:

Plot:

The game will feature a single-player campaign, in which the player will control multiple characters from both the “Tier 1” and “Big Military” perspectives. The storyline will follow several “Tier One Operators” working under the National Command Authority in Afghanistan during the 2001 War in Afghanistan. Players will also play as an Army Ranger and will fight on a larger scale than the “Tier 1 Elite Ops” campaign, as players will only be a small part of the ‘war machine’. The campaign will be heavily weighted (with regards to playtime) in favor of the Tier 1 group.[13]

Controversy:

The online mode created a controversy when it was revealed that in this mode, players could play as the Taliban terrorists. The developers responded by stating the reality of the game necessitated it. “Most of us having been doing this since we were 7 – if someone’s the cop, someone’s gotta be the robber, someone’s gotta be the pirate and someone’s gotta be the alien,” Amanda Taggart, senior PR manager for EA, told AOL News. “In ‘Medal of Honor’ multiplayer, someone’s gotta be the Taliban.”

The UK Defence Secretary Dr Liam Fox criticised the game in advance of its release stating that it was “shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban against British soldiers”. “At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands”. “It’s hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product.”

Canadian Defense Minister Peter MacKay has also criticized the game, saying he “finds it “wrong” that anyone, children in particular, would be playing the role of Taliban.” and “Canada and its allies have fought far too long in Afghanistan and it’s not a game.”

Danish vetarans were appalled by the game that takes place in the Helmand province where Danish troops are stationed. Danish Defense Minister Gitte Lillelund Bech finds it “tasteless” and supports Danish veterans who oppose the game. However she has said she won’t legislate on the subject and has confidence in the ability of Danish youth to discriminate between right and wrong.

Now, I’m usually relaxed when it comes to controversies, but that one just pinched me right on my sensitive spot; I’ve been there, not in 2001, but I’ve been there. As did my father recently, thank God he’s back. I personally think that this war is too recent to be portrayed in a video game. Just like many others I lost friends there, and all of them were brave and very good persons.

I’ll be honest with you; I’ll rent the game and I’ll enjoy killing those f*ckers, I’ll also enjoy looking at how accurate they made it and what mistakes they made, but I won’t play the multiplayer chapter, I just don’t want to portray an existing terrorist force, especially the bastards that killed Corporal Jason Patrick Warren. Even tho it’s not real, I refuse to pretend I’m “killing” allied soldiers.

So, what’s your opinion on that? :army:

I feel the war is much to recent to have a game already. I think its bad taste to make one while the war is still going on. Maybe some years after the war there is over would be better. Try not to get to upset … its not meant to be a personal insult IMO. I do believe for those that are interested it can be educational. To really understand a conflict you need to see it from both sides. As an American … the Vietnam war always leaves a bad taste in one’s mouth but to play a game or see a movie from the Vietnamese side can help one understand how determined those ppl were … and give a better overall understanding of the problems that both sides faced in that war. I dont want to make a game seem more than what it is … but for most that know nothing … I feel it can be helpful.

I hope parents will not buy this game for their young children. Well I hope they don’t let them play shooting games at all!

The British Government reaction to it was partly due to some false information that was supposedly leaked, it seems someone said you could play as British soldiers against the Taliban in the muliplayer section but EA says you can’t. Or so the information i read goes.

All this will only do one thing, give the game free advertising that will probably increase worldwide sales, i will probably play it just like the countless other FPS I’ve played but only for the single player side as i have no interest in multiplayer anymore.

CoD 7 Black Ops that is a game :slight_smile:

All the rumours that preceded the release of the Medal of Honor PS3 game, were widespread for the sake of get free advertising… Infact, MOH is a game that appeared to be clearly below expectation. Expecially if compared with other games of the same kind. I agree with you, Hanz Lutz, concerning Call of Duty… MOH is clearly inferior from any point of view: definition, graphics, sound, etc. The multiplayer section is the same of any other wargame: if you play online you can’t choose to be anyone. It’s just a random mode, that put you in a one of the two team in a Deathmatch. So you can be a Taliban or a Marine, a drug trafficker or a Spetznaz, an Iraqi or a SAS member… But i can assure you that, when you’re playing, it doesn’t matter who you are… I’ve never seen any player to quarrel over these kind of things… Just to conclude, my personal opinion is that wargames aren’t misguiding or dangerous… It may be dangerous its immoderate and indiscriminate use. It’s almost the same matter of the firearms. The weapons are not dangerous. The first and very dangerous factor is the will to kill. And this thing grows in our head and, if we want, we can control it… Best regards to everybody.

I actually found it really weird that this MoH is set in the War in Afghanistan for several reasons.

First, the developers stated a few years back (I think when CoD Modern Warfare came out), they will never leave the theme of WW2. Well, obviously they didn’t stand by their word on that one.

Second, why do they imitate Call of Duty? CoD is not really set in Afghanistan, but it is set in our time, as the new MoH is now. I would have expected that they would set it in a war not covered (yet) by Call of Duty. Korea, WW1, Vietnam to name just a few.

Third and somewhat the most important, why take a war which is currently going on and not even pretend that it is about “another war with big and many parallels” (like Command and Conquer Generals for example). It is BOUND to provoke the controversies like ced381 has pointed them out. Here I also ask, as they seem to try to imitate COD, why don’t invent a war as well and prevent such controversies. But I guess the controversies are wanted, as no publicity is bad publicity.

It was a series “Reboot”, moving to a modern setting was nothing surprising considering this is EA we’re talking about.
They saw a money making machine and wanted to cash in on the craze, only they took a fairly good name with history to follow and face planted in to the mud.

Then again does this really matter, they have Respawn and Crytek on partner and own Bioware.