The Russian "Die Hard", the Klimenti Vorozhilov tank.

Here is an article about most famouse fight of KV-1

The newspaper “Into the glory of the native land” from 09.09.06

Main battle of Senior Lieutenant Zinoviy Kolobanov.

“To stand to death!” - task I obtained personally from the division commander Baranov, told Kolobanov after war to Leningrad journalists. - he showed me on the map the fork of the roads, which go in the Luga and Kingisepp, and he ordered: “to overlap and to stand to death”. Situation in the environs of Leningrad was such, that I perceived the order of division commander literally. Yes, to step back was already nowhere: behind was Leningrad…
Kolobanov told: "when I returned to the company, they soldiers already concluded loading rounds. Were taken mainly armor-piercing. Two fire units. There were three roads, which should be be overlapped, .
I gave orders to the crew, to defend roads on the flanks, and I decided to defend the road in the center. With the tank commanders we supported radio communication. Company sent two tanks - Lieutenant Sergeyev and Junior Lieutenants Yevdokimenko - to the Luga road (now - Kiev highway). Two additional KV under the command of Lieutenant Lastochkin and Junior Lieutenant Degtyar were directed to protect the road, which leads to Volosovo. Tank of company commander stood in ambush in the road, which connects Tallin highway with the road to Marienburg - in the North outskirts of Krasnogvardeysk.
Let us again give word to Zinof kolobanov: "road went past us at small angle, excellently examined. We began organization of the position for the ambush. But to dig out caponnier for KV - this, I will directly say, heavy labor. On top of that soil fell strong. But we equipped the primary position, and spare. Tank was placed, all they thoroughly disguised ".
For his tank Kolobanov determined position in such a way, that in the sector of fire was the longest, well opened section of road. Distance to it about 150 meter. Around in the field the untidy stacks was seen: the extensive swampy meadows were pulled along both sides of road in Marienburg. There was even small lake with the ducks carelessly floating on it.
Nearer to the night approached infantry cover. Very young Lieutenant reported Kolobanovu, that he arrived at his disposal. Experienced tanker understood: from the infantry in this battle it will be little to sense. But fearing, that the Germans will visit KV into the rear and will blind crew by the smoke pots, he ordered to place infantrymen behind the tank, in the side so that they would look after the flanks.
“To the battle!”
19 August 1941. Morning. The sun rose. About ten oclock they heard shots to the left - on the road, where held defense the armored machines of Lieutenant Lastochkin and Junior Lieutenant Degtyar. They reported on the radio that one of the crews engaged the battle with the German tanks. Kolobanov called for the commander of the infantry unit and ordered: to him to open fire only after KVs gun will fire. About two oclock appeared enemy vihicles. After slamming the hulls, crew stood still at their places. Gunner Senior Sergeant Andrey Usov reported, that he sees three motorcycles with the carriages. The order of the commander followed: - dont open fire! German motorcyclists rushed forward to the side of Marienburg, without noticing disguised in the ambush KV. Carrying out the order Of Kolobanov, reconnaissance and the infantrymen did not begin to open fire also. Dust yet did not calm down , when column appearad . In front - staff vihicles, after them - tanks. To Leningrad moved units of the 10th tank regiment of the eighth tank division of Wehrmacht.
T -.III and T -.IV moved on the reduced distance, substituting their left boards almost on strict angle to KVs gun: ideal targets! Their hulls were opened, part of the Germans sat on the armor. Crew even distinguished their faces - it was only 150 meter to the road! Column pulled out along the highway. It seemed it will be no end. "eighteen... Twenty... Twenty two!", - counted the tanks Kolobanov. At this time with the company commander along the radio connected battalion commander Shpiller. He sternly asked: - "Kolobanov, why you let Germans to pass?!" To answer battalion commander there was no time: leading tank slowly left to the cross-road and close approached two birches - orientator №1. Leading tank they blowed with the first round. By the second shot, directly on the cross-road, was stopped the second tank. The plug arose on the road. Column was pressed as spring, and tanks merged into one gray wall. Kolobanov ordered to transfer fire to the tail of column in order to finally lock it on the road. So enemy was in the trap: neither forward nor back tanks could move, and they did not dare to roll up to the swampy field. First time germans could not even determine from where shooting is conducted, and they opened fire from their guns on the shocks of hays, which immidiatelly caught fire. But soon ambush was discovered, and tank duel of one KV against eighteen German tanks began. To the Kolobanovs tank was brought down entire deg of armor-piercing shells. About what thaught enemy tankers, turning towers and loking to the target sights? Probably, lonely Soviet tank seemed them a suicider. They yet did not know that they deal with KV.
From the masking soon didt remain anything. Tankers suffocate from gunpowder gases, became deaf from the frequent impacts of German rounds about the armor. Loader, Red Army private Nikolai Rodenkov worked in the rabid rate, forcing into the breech of gun round after round. Usov didnt abandon the target sight, and continued to conduct fire…
Kolobanov recalled after the war: "Im frequently asked: did I feel fear at that moment? It is uncomfortable to answer, you can think that Im boasting. But I felt no fear. I will explain, why. Im soldier. After retirement for twenty three years worked in the national economy. But nevertheless entire life it felt myself soldier. At that time division commander gave me order "to stand to death". These words are not some emotional formulation, but precise order. I accepted it to the performance. It was finished, if it is necessary, to die. And no fear I had and couldnt have “.
… the commanders of the tanks, which held defense on other roads, reported on the radio about the situation in their sections. Kolobanov understood from their reports that there also occur fierce fightings and reinforcment will not come…
Understanding, that burn into the trap, Germans attempted somehow to maneuver. But they got stuck in the swamp. KVs rounds struck their tanks one after another. But numerous direct hits of enemy rounds did not cause special harm to Soviet tank. Infantry unit came to help German tankers. Germans rolled for the road anti-tank guns. Kolobanovnoted these preparations of the enemy. - orientator is two! - he yelled. - straight line, under the front panel, fragmentation - fire! Usov struck by HE fragmentation round the antitank guns. When German infantry joined the battle the infantry unit located behind KV began fire. Usov managed to destroy one of the guns immediately. But the second gun had time to produce several shots. One of them broke the scanning periscope, from which conducted the battlefield surveillance Kolobanov, and another, after striking under the tower, wedged it. Usov soon was possible to break that gun, but KV lost the possibility to turn its seven-ton tower. Now the corrective turns of the gun to the right and to the left could be made, only turning entire tank. And again word to Kolobanov: "What does remember tanker about the battle? Crossing of sight. Here stress is such, that the time is compressed, to the outside thoughts there is not second. I remember, as my fellows shouted: "hurray!", "it burns!.." But to restore some details of this battle - I cant”. … Nikolai Kisel’kov came out to the armor and established spare periscope instead of the damaged. Kolobanovt ordered driver Nikolai Nikiforov to derive tank from the caponnier and to engage alternate firing position. On the eyes in Germans huge tank moved backward from its shelter, drived in the bushes and again opened fire on the column. Now it was necessary for the driver to show his skills. Carrying out Usov’s orders, he once after at once turned KV in the necessary direction. The fire of enemy gradually weakened. Finally last tank was destroyed, battle ceased. They burnt all of 22 German tanks. In their armored wombs the ammunition continued to vomit, heavy dark-blue smoke was pulled above the swampy plain…
During the slaughter that lasted more than hour, Kolobanov`s crew
fired on the tanks and the anti-tank guns of the enemy 98 rounds, including all armor-piercing. In that battle KV obtained 156 hits from the armor-piercing shells. The battalion commander established connection.
By the loud voice Shpiller asked:

• Kolobanov how it goes? Do they burn?
  • They burn well, comrade battalion commander!
    Senior Lieutenant reported: crew destroyed the enemy tank column with number into 22 combat vehicles, crew cannot further hold position, cause ammunition end, there are no armor-piercing shells, and tank itself obtained serious damages.
    Soon on the armored car drove up Shpiller. Together with him there was civil person with the film camera in the hands. After clinging to the viewfinder, he shot a long panorama of the burning column of Germans. Shpiller thanked crew for the successful fulfillment of combat mission and reported that soon the place of battle will approach the tanks of Lieutenant Lastochkin and Junior Lieutenant Degtyar.
    For that battle Senior Lieutenant Kolobanov was rewarded with the Order of the Red Banner, and the gunner of tank Senior Sergeant Usov - by Order of Lenin.

Kolobanov is in the center of the foto!

And a little bit more.

Soldier Fates

After the battle the Kolobanov`s company was brought out into the neighbor rears to the completion of ammunition and for the repair. But the repairing of tank tightened itself almost for the month: in the city, from the last forces resisting Hitler assault, there were no spare parts, no workers… At night on 21 September in the South outskirts of Pushkin near to Kolobanov’s tank German round exploded. Hero obtained heavy injury into the spine. At the end of February 1942 injured Kolobanov was transferred from blockade Leningrad to the large earth. Both 43 and 44 he stayed in the hospitals, anew he learned to walk with difficulty. Kolobanov recalled: "for some reason I was convinced that I will not die. But he proved to be by cripple. Entire body by piston walked, head shook. In the hospital, by the way, with me it was brought to anew see battle under Voyskovitsami: the personnel, taken there, entered into one of the releases of military newsreel. After being collected forces and courage, it asked again into the native army. It was necessary, of course, to reject stick, to be held. Great happiness: they took. He served. "Comrades understood me, they helped. Thanks to them ". At the end of 1944 it returned into the acting army. The miracle happened: He survived in heaviest combat. And what is more - for combat on The Magnushevskom bridgehead he was rewarded with the Order of the Red Star, for the Berlin operation - by second Order of the Red Banner. War Zinoviy Grigor’evich finished in Berlin. The hero-tanker died 12 years ago…
The fate of gunner Andrey Mikhaylovich Usov proved to be happier. He passed with combat war to the end. He returned to Vitebshchinu, he was the secretary of the district committee of party. But, probably and in its native Tolochine there is no Usov’s street…
Brave radio operator Pavel Kisel’kov perished soon after Kolobanov was injured in combat on the Neva “pyatachok”. The relatives of courageous front line soldier now live in Saint Petersburg . Perished and loader, a “good person” Red Army private Nikolai Rodenkov. All that is known about the fatee of the former KV driver Nikolai Ivanovich Nikiforov is that he passed entire war to the end, and then he remained to serve in the army, trained young tankers. In 1974 died from the severe illness of lungs. He is buried in the environs of Leningrad, in his native village Of Borki * * *

It’s amazing excellent story, many thank’s Sturmfuhrer.
I didn’t heard about leutanant Kovobanov’s tank early. The exact figurest of hited germans tank (22) controversial is but this battle really was.( as and many other simylar battles of KV in summer-authumn of 1941)

Cheers.

Concerning figures: I forgot to mention, Kolobanovs company in that battle eliminated totaly 43 german tanks. Quit amazing fact. First time I met this information in the book "Tankists in the battle for Leningrad" issued in 1985 and didnt believe it. But later I checked this info in different sources and it is no doubt everything is right.
One thing seems strange to me, as follows rom the text there were only T-3 and T-4 tanks and scouts on motorcycles. I suppose germans should also have armoured cars or light tanks as a recon unit. And it could happen that some armored cars were calculated as eliminated tanks

Yes they did die hard, but with honor.

Nice stories, in here you got some aditional information on tank aces.

http://wio.ru/tank/ww2aces.htm

And this is a creative manner to kill a KV-1: :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0v1zTsuXDI

Oooops!!!

It was too heavy for that bridge aniway.

Do you see from the brifge type that it could not bare 48 tonns?

Here is a prototype with extra 45mm cannon:

Here is modification of 1939 (with 76mm cannon L-11, 141 tanks built):

KV-1 of Pavel Horoshilov (tanks name “Merciless”):

KV-1 turret inside view:

Look at this one: http://www.chamtec.com/materials/kv1vi6.avi

KV-1 pullet out of Neva river:

Amazing photos mate, thanks.

Do you see from the brifge type that it could not bare 48 tonns?

With that amount of wooden structure i dont think so…if is a railway brigde maybe.

KV-8 flametrower variant of KV-1S.

Oooops again!!!

http://bronetehnika.narod.ru/
Here is excellent gallery of Kv-2

Oooops, #3.

I guess that this picture show that the turret in the KV 2 was a little disbalanced. :neutral:

Do you know that there was a project KV-220 with even bigger turret? It was built in 1 exemplar. 16 october 1941 it was sent to 124 tank brigade in the Leningrad defence line. But the turret was replaced with a one from KV-1 with 76-mm cannon F-32. The engine was equiped with turbine which produced wistling nose similar to the diving Stukas. In the start every time the tank moved “air strike” command was yelled across the neighboring units. The tank was destroyed in December 1941.

Later, I will present here extract from an interview with one of the KV designers.

Nice, I see a pic of another KV with a 107 mm gun…impressive, and that was in 1941.

Is funny how the russian let pass the oportunity to have a tank mighty as the Tiger 1 …two year earlier.

Hello,

Panzercracker, I think, KV was Tiger for its time, but it could not match it later, as you know. Why? Read the article below it might clear many things.

I came across the interview of Nikolai F. Shashmurin (Николай Федорович Шашмурин) in this article “Shot-hole in the armour”: http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWII/shashmurin/

Mr.Shashmurin spent 50 years designing soviet tanks, from 3 turets SMK to T80.

Here are some extracts from his interview:
[INDENT][INDENT]

As strange as it might seem, the eventual problems with KV were directly connected to its name.
(my comment: KV stands for Klim Voroshilov, one of the Sovied Marshal and Revolutionary.)[i] … Matter that, special construction beuro of the Kirov plant (SKV-2), where KV was designed, was lead by Gozef J. Kotin since 1937. He was married on the Voroshilovs step daughter. Kotin was very good at feeling the political atmosfeer in the country and could guess who want what. Living in full harmony witht cult of Stalin, for vivid demonstration of “love and affection” to the bosses, he started assign the names of “fighter for right cause” to the projects. And who could contradict the relative of Klim Voroshilov? … Unfortunatly, we have to admit that KV was from the start designed not so much for war, but for show off.

KV is normaly praised for the strong armour and excellent gun. But this is not due to tank designers, but the metalurgist for armour and artilerists for the gun. The goal of the tank designers is in 1 thing: to take existing units and assemble them in the most optimal way, designing the motor and transmission and suspension. This often more difficult than design of each unit separatly.
The result can render best units in to worsless when they are assembled in one machine. Tank KV having good components was not a real fighting machine - due to unrelyable transmission. And formidable by the looks tank wbecame a burden of the Red Army…

The Tank was very impressive. The directors of the Kirov plant were very quick to realise that Stalin would be glad, becasue he loved everything that could visibly show the strenght of the proletarian state. And they had to be quick to show the tank. Because in Harkov plant T-34 under development, the tank that could become the main battle tank (and that is what happened at the end).

The Kirov plant was working too rapidly in the state of crasy chase. And not so much against the potential enemy, but against constructor of the t-34 in Harkov plant…

At the end of 1940 the first prototypes were made and sent immidiatly to the Soviet-Finninsh front, luckely for the plant the front line was very close to Leningrad. On 17 of December the first engagement of KV happened…

and immidiately the telegramms about the victorious performance was sent to Moscow. And practicaly the next day, 19 Dec 1940, the state commity of Ministry of Defence issued the order that KV are taken for production of the tank, that practicaly did not even exist yet.

T-34 had to drive self all the way from Harkov to Moscow to show the quality, where is KV was accepted with ZERO test driving…

The raw tank kept comming to RKKA, but press kept writing brilliant articles about outstanding victory of the soviet constructors. KV got halo of being invincible. The foreigh oservers agrred, becasue could only see the tank from outside. But reclamations kept comming from the active army units, but they were normally dismissed as the result of low crue skills… There was even a special govenment comission for investigation, that founf serious design faults…

Instead of concentrating on fixing KV-1, the Kirov plant started works on the newarmoured dinosaurs: KV-3 weighing 65t, KV-4 - 80t, KV-5 - 100t. As sad as it was, but the sign of technical insanity apeared in our work much earlier than in Germany with their “Mouse” weighing 180t.

The first days of the war showed that KV-1, as it was prodused, could not be used with really, because was absolutely unreliable as veicle.

In the winter 1941 - 1942 in Cheliabinsk, where the plant was evacuated, was “invented” KV-7 with 3 (three) coaxial cannons! A lot of materials and talent was wasted on this surreal ideas.
[/i]

[/INDENT][/INDENT]