The Vesuvius erupting! - US Army Air Force | Gallery

The Vesuvius erupting!

A direct evidence from an American serviceman which experienced the eruption of Mount Vesuvius first-hand: Dana Craig from the 486th Bombardment Squadron of the 340th Bombardment Group: "...On the day prior, Vesuvius was belching smoke. It was an overcast sky with the threat of rain. About midnight, I went out of my billet to answer the call of nature. While outside, in a mild drizzle, I was hit on the head by what I thought was a small rock. Suspecting some sort of joke, I went inside for a flashlight. When I returned, the light revealed a layer of damp cinders on the ground. We knew at that time that Vesuvius was erupting. We began to feel the earth shake as though a bomb had gone off. After each quake, a few minutes would pass before the debris blown out of the crater would start to hit the ground. About daylight, the rear of our building started to cave in. We then began to see the larger rocks coming down. By this time everyone was wearing his steel helmet and heavy sheepskin jacket for protection from the falling material. I can't recall ever having breakfast that morning. It wasn't very long before we were loaded into trucks and evacuated to Naples" (from web site of 340th Bomb Group). In effect, because the wind direction, Naples was saved. In the photo the Vesuvius eruption see by Terzigno Airfield. In foreground a B-25 of 340th BG which was damaged by the eruption. Victor Sierra

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/us-army-air-force/43078/the-vesuvius-erupting!

See my earlier post regarding pyroclastic flows. Mr Craig may have been right about the wind direction saving Naples from damage in this eruption but - if an explosive eruption sent a huge pyroclastic flow in her direction - the wind direction would have had no influence on the outcome … As I said, thanks for posting, JR.

A pyroplastic flow is indeed one of nature most awsome destructive forces and totally unpredictable.
One such unexpected pyroplastic flow coming out of Mount Unzen in Japan even killed two world famous volcanologists,Maurice and Katia Krafft,in 1991.Just a side note :slight_smile: