Tiger I Tank at the Armor Museum , Ft. Benning Ga.

A Photographic walk around of their Tiger I as it sits in pieces awaiting restoration. From the Museum’s Facebook Page…http://www.armorjournal.com/index-tanks-TigerI-NACM.php

Great link, tankgeezer. How far do our friends at Fort Benning hope to go with this project ? The tank obviously needs considerable restoration to get back even to “immobile” stability and presentability. Is there a nice Maybach engine lurking somewhere in the background ? Thanks for posting, JR.

The Engine is there, and although I don’t know what their budget is presently, a prize of this sort should be restored to operating condition. I do keep contact with the guys there, I’ll ask next time I talk with one of them. Just me surmising, but if the Museum needed to do a fund raiser for the project, I think it would be well responded to. (Can’t let Bovington have all the fun, )They have specimens of most all the German armor, in some cases, more than one of each. Their Panther should be next in line for restoration to operating condition, it’s intact, and complete. Their Tigers I, and II aside from being converted for a screen porch, is also complete. They do have one restored, operational PZ IV they roll out for Tank day.
I always hope they will fire up the T-28/95, and roll it out sometime, was one of my favorites there.

Actually, it would be quite appealing to keep the left side of the turret open with strong plexiglass once the tiger is up and running; the audience can see the men inside operating and for the men it reduces the claustrophobic sensation…

I’ll ask them next time I speak with them, they may wish to go full restoration if the budget allows.

nice to see a original Tiger near perfect condition

They have examples of all the larger German Tanks, and maybe extras too. They also have a nice collection of the older smaller Tanks, and other AFV’s and artillery. Usually, they just don’t have room to show it all at once…

Hard to find ww2 german machinery in near perfect and looks like untouched condition! I love to see all the whole collection! :army:

You can look at a fair bit of it here, http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php/5125-Patton-Museum-Pictorial?highlight=Ft.+Knox+armor+museum
The lighting wasn’t too good, but you cab see most of the collection.

Thank you!
King Tiger (sad to cut) and 88 gun, PAK 40 are fantastic!

They are very impressive machines, sad that they can’t have everything on display, just not enough room. They have recently moved the Museum to Ft. Benning Ga. and are working to build a larger space to display.