Tora! Tora! Tora!

My question in a nutshell: how accurate was the movie Tora Tora Tora on the events leading up to Pearl Harbor?

Without recently viewing the film nor reading about Pearl Harbor, I was under the impression that the film was fairly accurate by Hollywood standards. Perhaps a criticism would be that the film covered such a short time frame, that the viewer is left under the impression that Admiral Kimmel and Gen. Short deserve and inordinate amount of blame when in fact there were politicians and and others at the Pentagon that seem to get a pass. The Bombing of Pearl Harbor was a chain reaction of failures years in the making…

*edit: Upon further review, bios of both officers indicate that they were at least somewhat positively portrayed all things considered…

Overall this movie seemed to be fairly accurate within the constraints of research material available. Of course more material has been declassified since Tora! Tora! Tora! was released.

Unfortunately that piece of crap Pearl Harbour did not fill any of the gaps.

I’d rate Tora! Tora! Tora! 8.5/10

digger

I think Tora Tora Tora was a Great movie and it should have been longer. It would have been more real if someone like Charlton Heston starred in the movie or for the Japanese, it would have been great to have seen someone like Jacky Chan, doing his Kung Fu moves on the enemy; giving a few kick flips to knock them all out. That would have been so cool!

Yes, Jackie Chan doing kick moves as a Japanese naval Flyer would really have been awesome. Maybe even better if Godzilla or Mothra had attacked Pearl?

Sometimes I wonder if idiocy has come to roost at WW2IC.

That’s silly. :wink: Everyone knows they weren’t invented by the Japanese until after the war, so they couldn’t attack Pearl to start the war.

Fairly accurate movie,.

I remember when we came back from a cruise in Nam we stopped at Pearl for R&R. when we came into the Harbor we were amazed to see replica’s of battleships all over. what a sight and what the hell was this !!! it looked just like hollywood in there:mrgreen: