Tragedy of 12 miners

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10719207/

TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. - For nearly two days, the Sago Baptist Church sheltered family members praying for the safe return of 13 trapped miners. For a few hours, it was also a place of celebration after a mistaken report that all but one had miraculously survived.

Wednesday night, with the cruel reality that 12 of the miners had been found dead and one was in critical condition, grieving family members and others returned to the church with candles and hymnals to start healing the only way they know how — by praying.

One by one, people were given the chance to talk about the victims. Many were friends or fellow coal miners.

“I know the men under that hill and I called them my brothers,” one miner said, his voice cracking with emotion. The service also included a solemn hymn with the line: “Cheer up my brother, live in the sunshine. We’ll understand it, all day by day.”

The nation’s deadliest coal mining accident in more than four years began with an explosion 260 feet underground early Monday that federal investigators have yet to explain. But coal mine explosions are typically caused by buildups of naturally occurring methane gas or highly combustible coal dust in the air.

how afful my heart goes out to the familys

Jesus, my thoughts are with the familys. :cry: On the news they looked so happy after being told they were all but one ok and then to find out it was a mistake and all but one are dead, that makes it hundreds of times worse.

you can say that again

I think the other 12 miners tried to crawl into a tunnel and block to prevent the gas from seeping in, it failed. I hope the family’s are going to be ok.

Horrible story… :frowning:

they left notes for the familys how sad does it get