TV's "Sons of Guns"

Anyone else watch the TV program “Sons of Guns” on Discovery Chanel?
I enjoy their weapons projects but on a recent episode they developed a twin, water cooled, M-16 machine gun - supposedly for a US Navy Seal Team.
My question is why?
There a number of 5.56 mm mg’s around and I would believe that the Seals (like US SF) would have access to most any weapon they would desire. So why a twin M-16?
The water cooling system would mean that you couldn’t use standard M-16’s on the mount so I just don’t see the purpose of a special design.
Any observations and/or comments?

Yeah, i’ve been watching some episodes of “Sons of Guns”, but not the one you’re talkin’about. I have to tell that it doesn’t sound good the need of a twin, water cooled M-16. First, 'cause i think that the 5,56 mm (or .223 Remington) ain’t not gonna be the NATO standard for a long time. I’ve seen an episode of “Sons of Guns”, about some tests about calibers from 6.00 to 6.50 mm, made by US Army. The 5,56 mm has a good penetration power, but its power to stop is a little poor. Second, i think that the M-16 has already made the story of modern assault rifles, inspiring the most part of the modern light squad weapons. I don’t think there’s a real need for, the umpteenth, M-16 special design.

I don’t see any point to a twin, watercooled assault rifle mounted on a pintle, either. Uh…why not a mini-gun or something. I’m usually impressed with that show, but that one took me for a loss.

I enjoy the show, but…in a fairly recent episode the boss reamed one of his guys out for not lubricating a “Gator Killer” he had just made and they were showing. I remember an earlier episode where the same boss had to lube one of his weapons they were showing with oil off a dip stick from a pick-up! Oops.

They were supposedly building the water cooled M-16’s for a (I assume) SEAL Team training in the area. I’ve spent some time with Army Spec. Ops. They have access to almost any weapon in the world, to train with if not use on ops. I would think a SEAL team would have the same capabilities, why re-invent the wheel? Maybe the team were Reservist?

A bunch of second rate posers if you ask me.
Get Kent Lamont or the Dillon gang to do a show and then you`re talking.

Mit Fruendlichen Grusen,
gewehrpatrone