Type 92 machine canon for tanks

This is annother unsolved problem. A Type 92 machine canon for tank use. It has an scope and the typics of the mounting in a tank.
The question now is - what tanks and is this a 20mm or what I wouldt guess a 13,2mm gun ?

Any idea?

The barrel seems too thin to be a 20mm.

That certainly resembles the photo of a Japanese Type 97 anti-tank rifle in one of my books.

Cartridge - 20 x 124mm
Weight unloaded - 152 lbs.
Magazine - 7-round vertical box
OAL - 82.5 inches
Muzzle Velocity - 2000 feet a second.

Of course, I know nothing about anti-tank rifles, so this is merely a guess.

JT

Hi.

There was a tank machine gun version of the type 98 automatic 20 mm aa-machine gun or the type 97 20 mm semi-automatic at-rifle for the type 92 heavily armoured vehicle and I think your picture shows one of these (nice find…). Both guns were only different in the chamber volume and the type of firing (automatic to semi-automatic). I have no info which gun exactly was used for the 20 mm tank machine gun.

The “type 92 machine cannon” was an experimental 13,2 mm machine gun, a predecessor of the type 93 machine cannon:

This gun was planned as armament of the type 92 heavily armed vehicle, too. AFAIK the very similar type 93 machine cannon was used only but I´m not totally convinced:

To me the gun in the bow of this vehicle is a type 92 machine cannon not a type 93 machine cannon…

Yours

tom! :wink:

What was found out -

1. These gun is NOT 20mm - but 13,2 mm

2. The designation is NOT Type 92 may be the reason is the Tank type it
    was used in.

3. It was only used in the Type 92 tank.

4. Based on the Type 93 13,2mm machine canon the type designation couldt
    not Type 92 machine canon.

Kallinikos; try to do not put that huge images. Thanks.

These gun is NOT 20mm - but 13,2 mm

I was guessing right then.

The 13mm Type 93 was a (licensed) copy of the French Hotchkiss in 13.2x99 calibre. It was the Japanese Navy’s standard light AA gun.

Some additional new informations. Regarding to Ken Elks new book Japanese Ammunition was these Type 92 ( 1932) tank machine gun developed from the french Hotchkiss. The designation type 92 is correct.
The ammunition is the 13,2 x 99 wich was designated type 92, too. The Army machine gun type 93 was introduced one year later. So the tank gun was developed first.
I know that the navy used these machine gun in some aircrafts, in first line in the 1944 Zero fighter A6M5b.

Not quite: it was the navy Hotchkiss MG which was designated Type 93, and they did not use this gun in aircraft: they copied the .50 Browning gun but rechambered it for the (very similar) 13.2x99 Hotchkiss round, and called the result the “13mm Type 3”.

I wonder how they wouldt convert the aircraft gun to belt feed - so it is annother design as the Type 93 gun. That make sence.

Hi Genkideskan!
in the newest number of Japanese journal J-Tank were put several sides of article about AA Tank MG Type 97 7.7 mm and Type 91 6.5 mm.
You there will find several interesting information.

Regards,
jabu

Is this what your looking for?

033.jpg

Hi.

No, this drawing shows the type 98 20 mm aa-gun.

Yours

tom! :wink: