U.S copy of German FG42.

And here is the T-44 of 7,92 mm MG, M-60 was derivated from this.

Wow! Never knew there was a copy of a FG42 by the U.S
Here is what a T-44 Bullet looks.

Don’t let it hit you or you will have a big hole in you.:lol:
It looks huge to me!

Hehe, no GS, that is a bullet for 30-06 caliber machineguns, in particular for Machineguns mounted in aircraft for training purposes, the T-44 bullet is a bakelite-lead with reduced charge, just hapen that is names and same that the gun above.

“Bakelite-lead”? - I have never heard of a bullet of this composition before. Does any one know what the benefits of this are?

Thank you.

It was for a very weird purpose, it was used in B-17, and B-24 to shoot at the armored RP-63 “pinball” planes to made target practice more realistics. that reduced charge and bullet insure that the bullet did not harm ( as much) the airplane or the pilots.

I have a book about it , I will post more.

well, the cosntruction of the machinegun 42 (on which the FG 42 bases) is a very very good one and it is no wonder the US M 60 was inspired by that system.

sorry for bringing in again a modern aspect, but the Bundeswehr today uses a machinegun which is to 99% a copy of the old MG 42 (another flash-hider, another caliber - 7,62mm NATO). I fired it a lot of times during my service and it is indeed an accurate, reliable and deadly weapon on the battleground, allthough the modern version has a lower cadence (approx. 800 shots per minute).

on the pic you can see two MG 42 on the right, a version to be fit in a tank (fully-tracked apc “marder”) and a version with bipod and a special muzzle to fire blank-cartridges for practise.

jens

Nice photo Flammpanzer :smiley:

I know that the U.S Army was very impressed with the MG-42 and they try to make a MG for them under the name “T-25” unfortunately I dont have a picture of this.

Here are two U.S. troops with a T-25 machine gun. Thought you would want a picture of it.

Err, no, that is the American version of the FN MAG, known in American service as the M240.

The US prototype based on the MG42 failed for one stupid reason – whichever idiot designed it forgot that the US cartridge is significantly longer than the German and failed to take this into account.

Maybe that explain why the T 44 used the 7,92mm case.