U.S. Submarine Cobia.

About an hour north of my town is Manitowoc Wisconsin, where boat and ship building have been part of the local industry for a very long time. Located on Lake Michigan, The yards produced among other things the Submarine Cobia. A Gato class Fleet sub, and one of 28 produced there.
The Cobia completed 6 patrols, sinking 13 Japanese ships totalling about 20.000 tons. Lauched in late 1943, by mid 44’ it had made a name for itself by attacking, and sinking several key ships in a convoy sailing to strengthen the Japanese garrison at Iwo-Jima. One of those ships carried a unit of 28 tanks, and crews,the other a troop transport. A feat the Marines who later attacked Iwo considered vital to their taking of the island.
In the 6 patrols of the Cobia, only one crewman was lost.
I will be adding to the text of this post, so check back, and naturally i have some pics, so enjoy. - Raspenau -

cobia1a.jpg

cobia2.jpg

cobia3.jpg

cobia4.jpg

cobia5.jpg

cobia6.jpg

cobia7.jpg

cobia8.jpg

cobia9.jpg

cobia10.jpg

Nice pictures, if are a litle bigger would be better.:slight_smile:

Thank you my friend. I dont know if I can find any larger versions, but I can always take a ride up there and shoot some myself. I’ll have to resize them as my film format usually gives a 4 to 5 MB file size per image. I toured the boat some years ago, and it is by comparison to the U-505 in Chicago, luxurious. Although it isnt cleared for sea, or diving, the engines will run.(or at least did when I was there,)I’ll see about going up there in a week or so if i cant find some larger images.

Here is another pic, a bit larger P.K. last year, when it was being painted.

Now we are talking, danke. :rolleyes:

Bitte meine Herr.:smiley: