Uber bomber B-36 Peacemaker

Hello folks.
We have so much times discussed this monstrous airplain in the different thread - i think we need the separate thread for this.
One of the biggest military/transport aircraft
Just look for the childish B-29 near the B-36

The B-36D modification had a 10 engines ( 6 pistons and 4 turbo-jet).
BTW it comes to the service only in the 1949.When the soviets was already developing the mig-17 that could theretically reached the B-36.
IMO the real military work was limited mostly for the photo-Reconnaissance (RB-36).
The relatively short period of the mass production 1949-1954 prowed the fact that the B-36 was unable to make its work in the new Jet Fighters era. This was a super-expensive but useless toy in period of cold war.
But it look so great and…exclusive;)
i like it.

http://www.air-and-space.com/b-36%20links.htm

A true Cold War Monster.

Yep, good movie, though maybe the cast was wrong, I dont know. Didnt Stewart fly in Bombers in WW2?

Yup! He was a B-26 Marauder pilot on the ETO…

Excellent thread Chevan…

He even flew several missions over North Vietnam in B-52s…

Yup. He was in fact a career Air Force Reserve officer…

The modification B-36D with additional 2x2 turbojet engeens Allison J45.( first flyight 1949).
The service selling was 12 162 m.
BTW this was lower then maximal altitude of the Mig-15 ( 15 000 m).
The ONLY later modification B-36J-III was able to reach the 15 000 in the 1953 However in this time the Mig-17 was ready for the combat misssions.
So as we could see neither B-36D nor B-36J was not unattainable for the Soviet aviation teoretically.

Cheers.

Ummm… don’t put too much faith in the official performance figures is all I’ll say to that one. I’ve seen far too many accounts of B-36s penetrating Soviet airspace on recon flights and too few accounts of them being shot down (rather a lot of other aircraft types were) to believe that. Either the B-36 was considered too vulnerable to try (unlikely as it was pretty much the entire US deterrent force at the time and was apparently considered satisfactory - and also that they sent in far lower performance aircraft like B-29s) or it was pretty safe from the defences.

Of course the contrary may be true as well. Mind you the US always ran a fine line in the risk business during the Cold War. The B-47 was the better operator I think. Also thats why the US developed a recce B-57.

The B-47 has its bulnerabitities as shown in the unclassified document from Balistic Research Laboratories (www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA304469 ).
That is the reason why it was discontinued. The new B-57 wasnt perfect but much of the problems its predecessor had were fixed.
[u]Tragaperras Batman[/u]