UK Teachers to stop teaching the Holocaust.

I think this is too much:

Another more sample of the devastating political corecctnes wich is crippling modern societies.

No lessons on the Holocaust

By Telegraph Reporter

Last Updated: 2:25am BST 03/04/2007

Have your say Read comments

Schools are dropping controversial subjects from history lessons - such as the Holocaust and the Crusades - because teachers do not want to cause offence, Government research has discovered.
The way the slave trade is taught can lead white children as well as black pupils to feel alienated, according to a study by the Historical Association.
Ignored by schools: freed prisoners at the Auschwitz concentration camp

A lack of knowledge among teachers, particularly in primary schools, is also leading to “shallow” lessons on emotive and difficult subjects.

Some teachers dropped the Holocaust completely from lessons because of fears that Muslim pupils might express anti-semitic reactions. One school avoided teaching the Crusades because its “balanced” handling of the topic would directly contradict what was taught in local mosques.

The report, funded by the Department for Education and Skills, said: "Teachers and schools avoid emotive and controversial history for a variety of reasons, some of which are well-intentioned.
"Staff may wish to avoid causing offence or appearing insensitive to individuals or groups in their classes.
“In particular settings, teachers of history are unwilling to challenge highly contentious or charged versions of history in which pupils are steeped at home, in their community or in a place of worship.”
The researchers gave the example of one history department in a secondary school in a northern city which decided not to teach the Holocaust as a topic for GCSE coursework.
advertisement

The report said teachers feared confronting “anti-semitic sentiment and Holocaust denial among some Muslim pupils”. Christian parents at another school complained about the way the Arab-Israeli conflict was taught

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/02/nschools02.xml

The foolish notions of some in positions of authority, particularily in education, never ceases to amaze me.
the purpose of education is to teach the whole of a subject, concept, or idea. The tough to look in the eye parts as well as the easy to swallow parts.
To be in fear of the responses of pupils is to undermine the entire process and purpose of education.

Your title is misleading, the UK hasn’t forbidden holocaust teaching, a single school has taken a decision to not teach it.
The fact that this school has taken this decision is indeed shocking, but so far it an isolated case, and considering the outrage this has cased it will probably stay an isolated case.

I search an alternative source and it sais this:

Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Governmentbacked study has revealed. It found some teachers are reluctant to cover the atrocity for fear of upsetting students whose beliefs include Holocaust denial.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=445979&in_page_id=1770

But you are right the title is wrong, is not forbade, is simply not teached :roll:, quite funny times we are living.

The Daily Mail is NOT a newspaper I would rely on without independent confirmation. Typical headlines would be along the lines of “Did Swan-Eating Immigrants Kill Diana”.

err, it’s the telegraph, not the mail.

Both actually, and here you got another source for the same info:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/education/article1600686.ece

Tipical thing , in order of no to offend a minority you anoy the majority.

learning is life, learning about the holucaust need to be taught to jews to make them understand that not Plain Old Christens started it but Nazi Christensdid it, and the cursades is about chrisrtens wanting the holy land where jesus lived where they had to conquer many cities to get there way to go showing how good our riligion
Sorry about spelling am just really tired and i cant put things down and to tell you the truth i have hardly any idea what i put down

Arrgghh, your writing is the holocaust of the orthography :smiley:

No more please, the way you wrote is as much important as the thing you try to say.

Spell check plugins are your friend!
http://www.iespell.com/

I think this is too much:

Another more sample of the devastating political corecctnes wich is crippling modern societies.

No lessons on the Holocaust

This is the cheap propogandic article in the cheapest newspaper.
The reason why some of teachers refuses to teach the Holocaust is FAR not the Muslim’s blackmail.
The reason is the fact thet this is VERY HARd to teach the Holocaust the OBJECTIVELY.
The any teacher who try to study this theme immediatelly meets the problems.
For intance as we know the Zionists ( who wanted the “own jewish” lands in Palestina) colloborated with NAzy - they had the agreements that if the GErmany has won the Britain in the Africa - the Hitler presented them the Palestina.
So its funn but when the simple jews were repressed by the Nazy who want to dispatch out all the jews form the Germany - at the same time the Zionists who wanted to send the jews to the Palestina WERE VERY IDEOLOGICALY CLOSE For the Nazy.
They both were wanted the same- Zionist wanted the ethicaly clear Jewish Land in Middle East- The Nazy wanted the Europe without the jews;)
But as we know the Britain was AGAINST to send the jews in the Middle East;)
So indeed the Gerat Britain- no the NAzy was the main ENEMY of the Zionists.
And as we all know the Zionist wished the Britain to be the defeated in the war.
If you are the BRitish teacher - how would you say it for the kids?

The ANY nearest JEWIS organisation bring the claim to the court as for DANGER ANTI-SEMITE .
So indeed the any teacher who teach this Holocaust meets the dilemma- or to tech the “official version of Holocaust” (i/e the version thet the JEWS themself LET to teach) or to be the HONEST and receive the a lot of problems for his head.( probably even lost the work).
What will you choice?
The great example of the teacher who want to teach the true is the story of Urgen Graft.
Did you hear about him?
In the school where Muslim community exists the sitiation is MORE complicated.
From one side the Muslims who feels as the victim of Zionists agressions - could not hear about any jewish claims toward the other peoples ( as the official version of Holocaust do).
The teachers in the simular scholl is UNDER the double blackmail - from one side the “offended agressive Muslims” - from other side - the Zionists who wish to teach the ONLY official foolish version of Holocaust.
The Teachers prefered to avoid this problem simply to ignore the teaching the Holocaust…

Cheers.

No disrespect to British history teachers but, if most of them are about as good as most of the rest in the English speaking world, you’re assuming they know rather more than they do about this topic.

Most teach what’s in a syllabus. If it’s designed outside the school, they have no say in what they cover. If it ain’t there, most don’t teach it, 'cos most don’t know it.

Sure mate they know rather more than they could to say in class;)
As i say the Holocaust is the infair theme- they fear to be between to blackmails- the Zionists and Muslims;)( I don’k know awhat is beter but i know for the sure for anti-muslims tells people at least don’t send to the prison in Europe;)

Most teach what’s in a syllabus. If it’s designed outside the school, they have no say in what they cover. If it ain’t there, most don’t teach it, 'cos most don’t know it.

That’s right but as you could notice there is TOO mach depends from the presonal teachers approach - not only the teach the events according the syllabus but aslo and get the historical valuation of events.

That just goes to show that the Mother Country is still smarter than her prison colony descendants down here in the Antipodes.

Here, we get new teachers with a degree majoring in, say, English and economics which results in the idiots who run the education departments deciding that they’re exactly the sort of people to teach history and geography.

The geography graduates aren’t teaching anything because nobody in their right mind gets a degree in geography, while those who do aren’t in their right mind and are perfectly qualified for and immediately appointed to important positions in the education bureacracy, where they start out by deciding who teaches what where.

This leaves a missing link in the chain so that geography is taught by history graduates while physics is taught by chemistry graduates and mathematics is taught by anyone who can actually count, which rules out economics graduates.

It’s a very complex system which only educational bureaucrats can understand.

We’re thinking of exporting it to the rest of the world, but as nobody is taught geography in schools we don’t know where the rest of the world is.

:smiley:

Looks like Chevan is seeing Zionists under the bed again…

This is the cheap propogandic article in the cheapest newspaper.
The reason why some of teachers refuses to teach the Holocaust is FAR not the Muslim’s blackmail.
The reason is the fact thet this is VERY HARd to teach the Holocaust the OBJECTIVELY

Is not propaganda of any kind, is fact that schools in UK are dropping to teach the Holocaust.

Is not hard at all to teach the holocaust objetively, the germans let behind a very good and detailed account of the extermination of jews.

If you insist in your favorite words “propaganda” and “zionism”, and/or try to derail this to discussion of how many were killed I will be forced to edit you, so please dont.

Panzerknacker, the way British Schools are taught differs greatly.

Although ALL must reach certain standards and objectives they have (in particular History) a fair bit of autonomy in what they teach.

Depending on the Local Education Authority (LEA) they can teach differing subjects. An LEA may set a choice of 5 - 7 subjects, of which 3 are taught (for example). The initial chioce of subjects depends on the LEA, and the school can pick which it wants.

I personnaly was not taught the Holocaust, I did WW1, Medicine and Germany up to 1933.

Schools in the next door authoritys area may teach something completely differently. Private schools are not governed by the LEAs so may teach what they want, as long as they achieve the various objectives.

That one or even more schools are ditching the holocaust as a subject does not mean the whole country is.

Although I personally believe you must learn about the past, to prevent such things happening again.

Yea, I undestand that, is not a monolitic program.

But the problem from my view ( and from others too) is that the schools that already taught the extermination of the jews, decline to do that because a obscure tendency to no offend a minority in disregard of the benefits of teaching this sad event to the young people.

I dont need to tell you that the kids today are bombed continuosly by a massive holocaust denial crap in one of the favorites comunication artifacts of the young people, that is the computer/Internet.

This schools thinking that they are discriminative against a minority ( in this case the muslims) will make another minority vulnerable (that is the jews) and also will make the pupils vulnerable to the lies that are flying around.

An I have other arguments that might sound cheap and easy ( sorry about that but Oxford was too expensive for me)

Part of the minority wich the british schools are attempting to pleased now gave a vicious demonstration of his faith blowing trains and busses killing 50 people in London.

Part of the minority wich the schools are attempting to pleased now gave a sorry and patetic demostration of fanatism in the same city with posters like this.

I dont know but this sound like a award for this people, or at list a head down of the british society facing the muslim intimidation.

That is my interpretation.

PART 1 OF 3

Some of this is a little off topic, but it ties in somewhat with Panzerknacker’s post. I will have to break it up into 3 parts.

From Snopes.com

Muslim Demonstration
Claim: Photographs show placard-bearing Muslim protesters in London.
Examples: [Collected via e-mail, 2006]

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/muslimprotest.asp

Origins: The series of photographs displayed above were taken during a 3 February 2006 protest staged in London by Muslims angry over the publication in Scandinavian periodicals of cartoons depicting the prophet Muhammad.

From an email I received in early April 2007:

Global Intelligence Briefing For CEO’s

by Herbert Meyer

Currently, there are four major transformations that are shaping political, economic and world events.

These transformations have profound implications for American business owners, our culture and our way of life.

1. The War in Iraq

There are three major monotheistic religions in the world:
Christianity, Judaism and Islam. In the 16th century, Judaism and Christianity
reconciled with the modern world. The rabbis, priests and scholars found a way to
settle up and pave the way forward. Religion remained at the center of
life, church and state became separate. Rule of law, idea of economic
liberty, individual rights, human rights all these are defining points
of modern Western civilization. These concepts started with the Greeks but
didn’t take off until the 15th and 16th century when Judaism and
Christianity found a way to reconcile with the modern world. When that
happened, it unleashed the scientific revolution and the greatest
outpouring of art, literature and music the world has ever known.

Islam, which developed in the 7th century, counts millions of Muslims
around the world who are normal people. However, there is a radical
streak within Islam. When the radicals are in charge, Islam attacks Western
civilization. Islam first attacked Western civilization in the 7th century, and later
in the 16th and 17th centuries. By 1683, the Muslims (Turks
from the Ottoman Empire) were literally at the gates of Vienna. It was in
Vienna that the climatic battle between Islam and Western civilization took
place.

The West won and went forward. Islam lost and went backward.
Interestingly, the date of that battle was September 11. Since then, Islam has not
found a way to reconcile with the modern world.

Today, terrorism is the third attack on Western civilization by radical
Islam. To deal with terrorism, the U.S. is doing two things.

First, units of our armed forces are in 30 countries around the world hunting down
terrorist groups and dealing with them. This gets very little publicity.

Second we are taking military action in Afghanistan and Iraq. These are
covered relentlessly by the media. People can argue about whether the
war in Iraq is right or wrong. However, the underlying strategy behind the
war is to use our military to remove the radicals from power and give the
moderates a chance. Our hope is that, over time, the moderates will
find a way to bring Islam forward into the 21st century. That’s what our
involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan is all about.

The lesson of 9/11 is that we live in a world where a small number of
people can kill a large number of people very quickly. They can use
airplanes, bombs, anthrax, chemical weapons or dirty bombs. Even with a
first-rate intelligence service (which the U.S. does not have), you
can’t stop every attack. That means our tolerance “for political
horseplay” has dropped to zero. No longer will we play games with terrorists or
weapons of mass destruction.

Most of the instability and horseplay is coming from the Middle East.
That’s why we have thought that if we could knock out the radicals
and give the moderates a chance to hold power, they might find a way to
reconcile Islam with the modern world. So when looking at Afghanistan or Iraq,
it’s important to look for any signs that they are modernizing. For example,
women being brought into the workforce and colleges in Afghanistan is
good. The Iraqis stumbling toward a constitution is good. People can argue
about what the U.S. is doing and how we’re doing it, but anything that
suggests Islam is finding its way forward is good.

2. The Emergence of China

In the last 20 years, China has moved 250 million people from the farms
and villages into the cities. Their plan is to move another 300 million
in the next 20 years. When you put that many people into the cities, you
have to find work for them. That’s why China is addicted to manufacturing;
they have to put all the relocated people to work. When we decide to
manufacture something in the U.S., it’s based on market needs and the opportunity
to make a profit. In China, they make the decision because they want the
jobs, which is a very different calculation.

While China is addicted to manufacturing, Americans are addicted to low
prices. As a result, a unique kind of economic codependency has
developed between the two countries. If we ever stop buying from China, they will
explode politically. If China stops selling to us, our economy will
take a huge hit because prices will jump. We are subsidizing their economic
development, they are subsidizing our economic growth.

Because of their huge growth in manufacturing, China is hungry for raw
materials, which drives prices up worldwide. China is also thirsty for
oil, which is one reason oil is now at $60 a barrel. By 2020, China will
produce more cars than the U.S. China is also buying its way into the oil
infrastructure around the world. They are doing it in the open market
and paying fair market prices, but millions of barrels of oil that would
have gone to the U.S. are now going to China. China’s quest to assure it
has the oil it needs to fuel its economy is a major factor in world politics
and economics. We have our Navy fleets protecting the sea lines,
specifically the ability to get the tankers through. It won’t be long before the
Chinese have an aircraft carrier sitting in the Persian Gulf as well. The
question is, will their aircraft carrier be pointing in the same direction as
ours or against us?

3. Shifting Demographics of Western Civilization

Most countries in the Western world have stopped breeding. For a
civilization obsessed with sex, this is remarkable. Maintaining a
steady population requires a birth rate of 2.1. In Western Europe, the birth
rate currently stands at 1.5, or 30 percent below replacement. In 30 years
there will be 70 to 80 million fewer Europeans than there are today. The
current birth rate in Germany is 1.3. Italy and Spain are even lower at 1.2. At
that rate, the working age population declines by 30 percent in 20
years, which has a huge impact on the economy.

When you don’t have young workers to replace the older ones, you have
to import them. The European countries are currently importing Muslims.
Today, the Muslims comprise 10 percent of France and Germany, and the
percentage is rising rapidly because they have higher birthrates.
However, the Muslim populations are not being integrated into the cultures of
their host countries, which is a political catastrophe. One reason Germany
and France don’t support the Iraq war is they fear their Muslim
populations will explode on them. By 2020, more than half of all births in the
Netherlands will be non-European.

The huge design flaw in the post-modern secular state is that you need
a traditional religious society birth rate to sustain it. The Europeans
simply don’t wish to have children, so they are dying.

In Japan, the birthrate is 1.3. As a result, Japan will lose up to 60
million people over the next 30 years. Because Japan has a very
different society than Europe, they refuse to import workers. Instead, they are
just shutting down. Japan has already closed 2000 schools, and is closing
them down at the rate of 300 per year. Japan is also aging very rapidly. By
2020, one out of every five Japanese will be at least 70 years old.
Nobody has any idea about how to run an economy with those demographics.

Europe and Japan, which comprise two of the world’s major economic
engines, aren’t merely in recession, they’re shutting down. This
will have a huge impact on the world economy, and it is already beginning to
happen.

Why are the birthrates so low? There is a direct correlation between
abandonment of traditional religious society and a drop in birth rate,
and Christianity in Europe is becoming irrelevant. The second reason is
economic. When the birth rate drops below replacement, the population
ages.

With fewer working people to support more retired people, it puts a
crushing tax burden on the smaller group of working age people. As a result,
young people delay marriage and having a family. Once this trend starts, the
downward spiral only gets worse. These countries have abandoned all the
traditions they formerly held in regards to having families and raising
children.

The U.S. birth rate is 2.0, just below replacement. We have an increase
in population because of immigration. When broken down by ethnicity,
the Anglo birth rate is 1.6 (same as France) while the Hispanic birth rate
is 2.7. In the U.S., the baby boomers are starting to retire in massive
numbers. This will push the “elder dependency” ratio from 19 to 38
over the next 10 to 15 years. This is not as bad as Europe, but still represents
the same kind of trend.

(CONTINUED BELOW)

Part 2 of 3

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

Western civilization seems to have forgotten what every primitive
society understands, you need kids to have a healthy society. Children
are huge consumers. Then they grow up to become taxpayers. That’s how a
society works, but the post-modern secular state seems to have
forgotten that. If U.S. birth rates of the past 20 to 30 years had been the same
as post-World War II, there would be no Social Security or Medicare
problems.

The world’s most effective birth control device is money. As society
creates a middle class and women move into the workforce, birth rates
drop.
Having large families is incompatible with middle class living. The
quickest way to drop the birth rate is through rapid economic
development. After World War II, the U.S. instituted a $600 tax credit per child.
The idea was to enable mom and dad to have four children without being
troubled by taxes. This led to a baby boom of 22 million kids, which was a huge
consumer market that turned into a huge tax base. However, to match
that incentive in today’s dollars would cost $12,000 per child.

China and India do not have declining populations. However, in both
countries, there is a preference for boys over girls, and we now have
the technology to know which is which before they are born. In China and
India, many families are aborting the girls. As a result, in each of these
countries there are 70 million boys growing up who will never find
wives. When left alone, nature produces 103 boys for every 100 girls. In some
provinces, however, the ratio is 128 boys to every 100 girls.

The birth rate in Russia is so low that by 2050 their population will
be smaller than that of Yemen. Russia has one-sixth of the earth’s land
surface and much of its oil. You can’t control that much area with
such a small population. Immediately to the south, you have China with 70
million unmarried men – a real potential nightmare scenario for Russia.

4. Restructuring of American Business

The fourth major transformation involves a fundamental restructuring of
American business. Today’s business environment is very complex and
competitive. To succeed, you have to be the best, which means having
the highest quality and lowest cost. Whatever your price point, you must
have the best quality and lowest price. To be the best, you have to
concentrate on one thing. You can’t be all things to all people and be the best.

A generation ago, IBM used to make every part of their computer. Now
Intel makes the chips, Microsoft makes the software, and someone else
makes the modems, hard drives, monitors, etc. IBM even outsources their call
center. Because IBM has all these companies supplying goods and
services cheaper and better than they could do it themselves, they can make a
better computer at a lower cost. This is called a “fracturing” of
business. When one company can make a better product by relying on others to perform
functions the business used to do itself, it creates a complex pyramid
of companies that serve and support each other.

This fracturing of American business is now in its second generation.
The companies who supply IBM are now doing the same thing, outsourcing
many of their core services and production process. As a result, they can
make cheaper, better products. Over time, this pyramid continues to get
bigger and bigger. Just when you think it can’t fracture again, it does.
Even very small businesses can have a large pyramid of corporate entities
that perform many of its important functions. One aspect of this trend is
that companies end up with fewer employees and more independent contractors.

This trend has also created two new words in business, integrator and
complementor. At the top of the pyramid, IBM is the integrator. As you
go down the pyramid, Microsoft, Intel and the other companies that support
IBM are the complementors. However, each of the complementors is itself an
integrator for the complementors underneath it. This has several
implications, the first of which is that we are now getting false
readings on the economy. People who used to be employees are now independent
contractors launching their own businesses. There are many people
working whose work is not listed as a job. As a result, the economy is perking
along better than the numbers are telling us.

Outsourcing also confused the numbers. Suppose a company like General
Motors decides to outsource all its employee cafeteria functions to
Marriott (which it did). It lays off hundreds of cafeteria workers, who then get
hired right back by Marriott. The only thing that has changed is that
these people work for Marriott rather than GM. Yet, the headlines will scream
that America has lost more manufacturing jobs. All that really happened
is that these workers are now reclassified as service workers. So the old
way of counting jobs contributes to false economic readings. As yet, we
haven’t figured out how to make the numbers catch up with the changing
realities of the business world.

Another implication of this massive restructuring is that because
companies are getting rid of units and people that used to work for
them, the entity is smaller. As the companies+ get smaller and more
efficient, revenues are going down but profits are going up. As a result, the old
notion that “revenues are up and we’re doing great” isn’t
always the case anymore. Companies are getting smaller but are becoming more efficient
and profitable in the process.

Implications Of The Four Transformations

1. The War in Iraq

In some ways, the war is going very well. Afghanistan and Iraq have the
beginnings of a modern government, which is a huge step forward. The
Saudis are starting to talk about some good things, while Egypt and Lebanon
are beginning to move in a good direction.

A series of revolutions have taken place in countries like Ukraine and
Georgia. There will be more of these revolutions for an interesting
reason. In every revolution, there comes a point where the dictator turns to
the general and says, “Fire into the crowd.” If the general fires into
the crowd, it stops the revolution. If the general says “No,” the
revolution is over. Increasingly, the generals are saying “No” because their kids
are in the crowd.

Thanks to TV and the Internet, the average 18-year old outside the U.S.
is very savvy about what is going on in the world, especially in terms
of popular culture. There is a huge global consciousness, and young people
around the world want to be a part of it. It is increasingly apparent
to them that the miserable government where they live is the only thing
standing in their way. More and more, it is the well-educated kids, the
children of the generals and the elite, who are leading the
revolutions.

At the same time, not all is well with the war. The level of violence
in Iraq is much worse and doesn’t appear to be improving. It’s
possible that we’re asking too much of Islam all at one time. We’re trying
to jolt them from the 7th century to the 21st century all at once, which may be
further than they can go. They might make it and they might not. Nobody
knows for sure. The point is, we don’t know how the war will turn
out. Anyone who says they know is just guessing.

The real place to watch is Iran. If they actually obtain nuclear
weapons it will be a terrible situation. There are two ways to deal
with it. The first is a military strike, which will be very difficult. The
Iranians have dispersed their nuclear development facilities and put
them underground. The U.S. has nuclear weapons that can go under the earth
and take out those facilities, but we don’t want to do that. The other
way is to separate the radical mullahs from the government, which is the most
likely course of action.

Seventy percent of the Iranian population is under 30. They are Muslim
but not Arab. They are mostly pro-Western. Many experts think the U.S.
should have dealt with Iran before going to war with Iraq. The problem
isn’t so much the weapons, it’s the people who control them. If Iran has
a moderate government, the weapons become less of a concern.

We don’t know if we will win the war in Iraq. We could lose or win.
What we’re looking for is any indicator that Islam is moving into the
21st century and stabilizing.

(CONTINUED BELOW)