Uncovered American Tank

So, this was found buried under a street in Chartres, 90 kilometres southwest of Paris. The tank may be rusted as hell and the turret is missing, but, I was wondering if this was an M3 or an M5. I know that they both look alike, but if anybody has any idea, I would appreciate it if it was posted.

If anyone has any other tank, plane, etc. pictures found it weird places( such as under a road) post them here…

(I don’t know if this is the right place to post this, but you can move this elsewhere if needed)

Ground Tank.jpg

Any pics to post?

The pic was there, let me try and fix it…

It looks like you linked to an attachment.

See if you can download it to your harddrive and upload to the site directly using “manage attachments.”

Uh… What? Could you explane that to me in layman’s terms?

The link to you pic will need to end in “.jpg/.gif/” etc. When you get those long links to pics with no photo format, it’s not going to work.

See if you can download the pic to your computer harddrive from the email, and then post it directly to the site from there…

Or better yet, just email it to me at nickdfresh@hotmail.com

Sure, I can do that. Here you go.

It looks like a welded hull It’s either,an M5,or possibly an M3A3

It looks like like an m5 hull to me. I counted the gears in the treads and it matched the number I found in a picture of another m5 stuart.

M3 Lee photo

M5 stuart

compare…
looks like M5 to me…

Sorry

I should have said it may have been an M3A3 Stuart light tank That was a welded hull as well as the M5 series

I would say its a M5 Series Light tank.

On the M3A3 the rear engine decking is level with the rest of the hull. While on the M5 the rear engine decking is slightly raised.

Even with the heavy rusting and mud you can still make out the raised engine decking on the tank in the photo :wink:

M5 i think

here’s the story. it claims it was an M5

[link](http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23819856-5012895,00.html)

What’ll happen to it?

My guess will be put in a museum or maybe be bought by some rich guy that would try to restore it. But most likely a museum.

I think is definately an M5 or M5a1, the stepped up rear deck “hump” for the Cadillac twin V8 is clearly visable , the only other variant built in any great numbers to use the twin V8, was the M8 75mm Howitzer Motor Carriage, but this had a different front hull.

take care

Kenny.

this is definately a stewart hull but im not surew if its m3 or m5

M5, quite plainly.
Raised rear engine deck, late series suspension volutes.
Quite possibly it had been used as a kangaroo or command vehicle.
No real way to identify that without seeing the turret ring though.

Regards, Uyraell.