Unknown Knight's Cross recipient

Need some help on my Knight’s Cross holder recipients archive.
Maybe anyone knows this soldier? He should have been with Sturmgeschütz- (assault gun) or Armoured Recce unit.
Awarded with Knight’s Cross, Close Combat Clasp (stage ?), Ehrenblattspange des Heeres (Honour Roll Clasp).
On his cap -between cockade and eagle- he’s wearing the “Schwedter Adler”, a traditional insignia of an early (WW1) german cavalry unit.
Any help much appreciated!

Gerlach von Gaudecker-Zuch

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/G/GaudeckerZuch-R.htm

Hey, thanx a bunch! That was fast, even if it was not quiz!:mrgreen:

Just to be sure, is the Ehrenblattspange des Heeres the one that looks like Iron Cross 2nd class ribbon, except with swastika? What did one do to earn this?

Right, the medal was just put on the Iron Cross 2nd class ribbon. The award can be seen as a stage between Iron Cross 1st class and the Knight’s Cross. The soldiers name was noted in the “Roll of Honor” (Heeresverordnungsblatt Teil C) of his branch of arms. There were of course different medals for each Wehrmacht branch:

Army (incl. Waffen-SS):

Air Force:

Navy:

So this is clasped to the IC 2nd class ribbon, or it’s ribbon is like the IC 2nd class ribbon?

No, it’s just clasped on the ribbon of the IC 2.

Amrit, could you help me again? Probably same branch of arms, but this time in a “Jäger”-unit.

Wilhem von Salisch

III./Jäger-Regiment 49

Awarded 20 April 1943, with Oak Leaves on 27 July 1944

BTW you may find this thread useful:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=268547#p268547

Interesting topic, all this guys were portrayed in the book “The panzer divisions” by Martin Windrow edited by osprey.

Thanx again, that’s a good one. I immediately found a couple of my unknowns.

Can anybody say for sure who he is (the pilot, not the fox puppy)? We were wondering about this on the picture site, so far choices are Hans Phillip and Gerhard Barkhorn.

Gerhard Barkhorn is your man.

Paul

Well, that was quick. Thanks.