Unknown uniform - please help!

Hi folks!

Can someone please help me to identify this uniform? The picture seems to be from the 30s. So what kind of soldier is this, from which country? Rank? :confused:

Tanks a lot!

Jens

Could it be Canadian, there seems to be what looks like a maple leaf on the cap and collar ?

Its difficult to tell, the image isnt very clear, but the insignia may be a Thistle, but its hard to tell. The collar patches throw me tho…

heraldry-thistle-I-parker.gif

Could this be a Croatian armband he’s wearing?

Croatian insignia are usually a checker board in a shield sort of thing, but the did have an Edelweiss insignia as well. Certainly looks possible.

insignia.jpeg

Right, but your attachment shows insignia worn by Croatian units in German service (Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS).
BTW, did Canadians use the maple leaf as a military insignia?

They did in several different styles. The general style of the uniform is similar to the U.K., so that fits, but The collar patches are what I wonder about. Someone here will have a definitive answer.

Canadian insignia.jpg

army_sleeve_gen.png

found something similar to the shape on the cap.

CANADIANWW2SWEETHEARTBROOCH.jpg

Gentlemen; Just a thought, but having looked at the various attached images . . . could we be looking at a Polish Infantryman? For example, someone from “Popski’s Private Army” before being transferred to the desert war?

The other alternative would be either Czech or Dutch, tho I have little to no details on those uniforms as worn by said personnel in Britain.

Kind Regards, Uyraell.

This is not Croatian uniform or insignia.

I’m beginning to think this may be from the special ops group of the Dutchy of Grand Fenwick…

I don’t think it’s Canadian.

Lol … Loved that movie, Peter Sellars was great … THE MOUSE THAT ROARED!

Probably not Canadian, the Sam Browne seems wrong for a start, there are usually no metal clips for the shoulder strap or ornate buckles on Commonwealth belts.
The cut of the tunic also looks wrong, particularly the lapels and the cap is the wrong shape.

Hello, this is my first post to this forum, so I am glad I can be of some assistance :smiley: The uniform is neither Croatian nor Dutch, and of course not Canadian. It is German! This gentleman is an Arbeitsmann (private) in the Reich Labor Service (Reichsarbeitsdienst - RAD). The cap he is wearing is quite unusual, as RAD members wore mainly kepis.

More here (I’m still not allowed to post links, sorry):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsarbeitsdienst

Now that I know I can imagine the swastika armband. The head gear is indeed unusual, also it seems that the RAD insignia on the upper left sleeve is missing.