US Army Involvement in the Pacific

Was the US Army ever involved in the Pacific? I know that Patton wanted to fight in the Pacific

“We want to get the hell over there. The quicker we clean up this Goddamned mess, the quicker we can take a little jaunt against the purple pissing Japs and clean out their nest, too. Before the Goddamned Marines get all of the credit.”

But did were any army units actaully stationed in the Pacific (not the Army Aircorps, mind you). I know that for Operation Olympia and Operation Downfall the Army would have been used (my grandfather was to go to Japan if they had not dropped the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki).

Yes, US Army infantry involved in the Pacific. Some famous battles they fought in was the Battle of the Philippines and Guadalcanal. The most famous unit is probably the 1st U.S. Army Ranger Battalion would were involved in Burma, India, New Guinea, and the Philippines.

More US Army personnel operated in the Pacific than Marines. Over 400,000 if I remember correctly.

Re: U.S. Army involvement in the Pacific

All operations in the Philippine Islands were U.S. Army under the overall command of Gen. Douglas McArthur – while the island-hopping (up until Iwo Jima) operations (under Admiral Nimitz) were Marine operations.

Operation Iceburg – The invasion of Okinawa
This was a joint Army-Marine operation under the overall ground command of Army Lt. General Simon Buckner. Gen. Roy Geiger (USMC) took over command following Gen. Buckner’s being killed. The large majority of troops were U.S. Army.

For the planned invasion of Japan commands were broken into two divisions:

(1) Admiral Nimitz (USN-USMC) would be in overall command of all troops (Including Army) during the actual invasions. Nimitz would remain in command until troops were ashore and Army headquarters were set up.

(2) General McArthur would then take over overall command of troops – both Army AND Marines. McArthur’s Sixth Army Commander General Walter Kreuger would be in direct command on the ground of the joint Army/Marine troops

The code name for the invasion(s) of Japanj was Operation Downfall.
This plan consisted of two phases-- Preliminary and follow-up:
(1) Operation Olympic – The invasion of Kyushu, Japan. (2) Operation Coronet – The Invasion of the Japanese Kanto Plain

Operation Olympic would be made up of four corps – three Army and one Marine. Army troops would greatly outnumber Marines. Strength of the Sixth Army – about 600,000 Army & Marines. ( Roughly half combat troops – half support)

Operation Coronet would have also been a joint Army/Marine venture – same as Olympic. Here again, the Army would have greatly outnumbered Marines. No proposed strength figures available.

The US Army was also responsible for continental defense. US Soldiers mounted assaults on the Japanese garrisons on Alaska’s islands such as Kiska.

I also learned today the USAAF B-17s were the first US aircraft to drop bombs in WWII, attacking a Japanese task force shortly after Pearl Harbor…

In fact, the USAAF shot down more aircraft than did the USN/USMC…

The 7th division drove the Japanese out of the Allutiens. They were trained in amphibious operations by the marines. The 7th went on to fight at Kwajalein, Leyte and Okinawa.

True. Unfortunately, they were also trained for warm weather operations geared to deployment in the North African theater…

Then, they went to Alaska. They had a very difficult time initially…

BTW (off-the top of my head), the US Army also did the significant fighting in the Philippines (from the Japanese conquest of 1941-42 to the ‘liberation’ in 1945), Burma (with the Army’s famed “Merrill’s Marauders” assisting the British & Aussie Armies there), New Guinea, and even Okinawa…

Here’s some more info on the Philippines traumatic WWII history: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/70-42/70-424.html

In a classic example of early US Army involvement in the Pacific theatre (they got better, so I don’t use this as an example to denigrate US forces in general) in the ‘Battle’ of the Kokoda Track (a series of battles and engagements) in New Guinea, two battalions of troops from the US 32 Inf Division were sent from Kapa Kapa to Jaure, a distance of approximately 50k. It was considered, from looking at maps, that it was going to be a hard route march, instead it took 14 days to do that 50k, and the troops when they arrived were completely unfit for action.

Lessons were learnt.

Another main involvement of the US Army in the Pacific, as mentioned, was the garrisoning of the Phillipines at the time of the Japanese attack.

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this forum and had a great uncle on my mother’s side, Angelo S. Viale from Martinez, CA who served in WWII in the South Pacific. He was awarded a Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star with 2 clusters and a Bronze Star for actions taken on April 2, 1945 in Luzon, Philippines. I’m trying to learn more about what happened during this time. Because of a mix up with records or something, he didn’t get his citation until about 15 years after he came home in 1946. Here is a link with his photo and info about why he was awarded the medals. http://www.legionofvalor.com/citation_parse.php?uid=1008884533

His wife, Annie Viale, said he was what was known as an “Island Hopper”. I am still trying to find out what Division he was in, because he didn’t talk about the war and only told the story of Luzon twice, once to my father in the late 1960’s and once to his wife on the day he arrived home, before he even knew he was getting any medals.

Maybe somebody on this forum can help me. He was drafted around 1940 from the National Guard. He lived in Martinez, CA. I believe he was a Staff Sergeant or a SFC by the time he left the army. He was at Guadalcanal and Luzon, and I believe he was also in Munda because his dog tags were found by children on Munda, New Georgia, Solomon Islands about 5 years ago. I just discovered this 2 days ago and am in the process of getting them sent back to us 60 years later! According to the WWII Navy vet who wrote the article, Joseph E. Gunterman, I’m the first family member to ever call in the 4 or 5 years since the article was published. Kudos to him for making the effort! Here’s the link to the article I found completely by accident. It’s a great story, so I hope everyone reads it: http://www.milmag.com/newsite/features/articles/dog_tags/index.html

Uncle Angelo passed away from cancer around 1997-98 and is now buried in Arlington National Cemetary with his wife Annie. Annie donated his medals to the Legion of Honor Museum in Fresno, CA before her sudden death in 1999. He was such a wonderful man and I want to preserve this extraordinary part of our family history for my son and generations to come. If anyone knows of him, or served with him, or knows the family members of those who served with him, or men whose lives he saved on April 2, 1945, please contact me. francesca@starstreamcable.com Or if anyone just wants to help inform me about the battles in the South Pacific in general, I’d be very grateful.

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to reunite the rest of the dog tags found on Munda with families, please let me know, because I’d like to try. The list of all the men whose dog tags were recovered is in the article by Mr. Gunterman, along with serial numbers etc. It means the world to us that Angelo’s dog tags were recovered.

On a side note: what do people think of sellers auctioning off WWII dog tags on Ebay? I’ve contacted a few of the sellers of these items suggesting that they make an attempt to get these back to families instead of selling them to total strangers. Considering the sacrifice young soldiers made for the whole world in WWII, it just seems wrong to me.

Hi Francesca,

Based on information you provided, I would say that your uncle probably served in the US Army’s 25th Infantry Division (“Tropical Lightning”). This division saw action at Guadalcanal, New Georgia and the Philippines. The shoulder patch has a yellow lightning bolt on a red taro leaf with a yellow edge.

The only other army division at Guadalcanal was the 23rd Inf Div - but that unit was not at New Georgia.

25th Infantry Division. Activated in Hawaii in July 1940, from elements of the old Regular Army Hawaiian Division (the balance becoming the 24th Infantry Division), to which a National Guard regiment from the state of Washington was added. Headquatered at Schofield Barracks, the division incurred some casualties during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. It served as part of the garrison of Hawaii until December 1942, when it went to Guadalcanal, subsequently seeing action in the Northern Solomons and the Philippines, suffering 5,432 casualties, 1,497 (27.6%) of them battle deaths. The division remained in Japan on occupation duty after the war. Six men won the Medal of Honor.”
from: The Pacific War Encyclopedia, James F. Dunnigan and Albert A. Nofi, Checkmark Books, 1998, p 626

"25th Infantry Division (“Tropical Lightning”), Guadalcanal, New Georgia, Philippines. Yellow lightning bolt on red taro leaf edged yellow." [Campaign service and shoulder patch]
from: The US Army in World War II, Mark R. Henry, Osprey Publishing, 2001, p 45

25th Infantry Division
ORDER OF BATTLE of the UNITED STATES ARMY GROUND FORCES in WORLD WAR II
Pacific Theater of Operations
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/matrix/25ID/25ID-WW2-OB.htm

A Brief History of the 25th Infantry Division (WWII)
http://www.25thida.org/division.html#WWII

25th Infantry Division Association
http://www.25thida.com/

Related HomePages for 25th Infantry Division
http://www.military.com/HomePage/UnitPageListHomePages/1,13491,100015,00.html

I hope this helps.

Thanks Mr. George Eller! As it turns out you are absolutely right. I didn’t hear back from anyone on this site for a couple of days and I was actually able to track down Angelo’s son Bob in Idaho and he told me that Angelo had been a part of the 25th.

BTW, There were a total of 18 men whose dog tags were found by kids on Munda and I’ve been able to track down two of them so far. I’m still working on the rest. If you have any ideas about ways to track down the ones who didn’t have next of kin listed on their dog tags, could you let me know? francesca@willitsonline.com.

I think Angelo was a part of the 3d Battalion, 35th Infantry “Cacti” based on this description on: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/matrix/25ID/25ID-cc_htm.htm

“On 28 March General Mullins, the division commander, ordered the redeployment of the 35th Infantry, which had been engaged in the drive on Balete Ridge in the Putlan River Valley. The 35th was to join the 161st in the push along Highway 5. Mullin’s plan was for the 35th Infantry to lead the assault on Kapintalan. The first leg of this drive stopped at the ridge on the south of the town, called the ‘Fishhook.’ On 2 April the regiment began its assault against the ridge. The Japanese, in strong positions consisting of pillboxes and caves that ran along the ‘Fishhook,’ beat off the “Cacti” soldiers. The battle for the ridge continued for the next week, until men from the 3d Battalion, 35th Infantry, occupied the ridge.”

Note that the day the 35th began the assault on the ridge was on April 2. This was the day that Angelo earned his medal. Does this look right to you?

You are most welcome Francesca. :slight_smile:

It looks like you have done your homework. Congratulations.

That’s great. I assume that you have been inquiring at the various 25th Inf Div associations. I wish you continued success.
If I can think of any helpful ideas I will email you.

That makes sense to me. You might consider contacting veterans of the 35th Inf Regt through their associations.
They may be able to verify your theory.

The 35th Infantry Regiment Association
http://www.cacti35th.org/

35th INFANTRY REGIMENT (CACTI) ASSOCIATION
REUNION 2007—PHILADELPHIA, PA
JULY 26TH – JULY 29th, 2007
CROWNE PLAZA CENTER CITY PHILADELPHIA, PA
http://www.cacti35th.org/35th_inf_ass/reunions/ReunionForm2007.html

25th Infantry Division Association
http://www.25thida.com/

Also, Francesca, you may want to work with your cousin Bob to obtain your uncle’s military records.
Although, as well as you have done your research, you may have already started the process.
Below is some information that may be helpful to you.

I wish you all the best in your research. Happy hunting and good luck. :slight_smile:

George.

National Personnel Records Center
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Personnel_Records_Center

Military Personnel Records Center
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Personnel_Records_Center

NARA’s National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)
http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/

NPRC is one of the National Archives and Records Administration’s largest operations. We are a central repository of personnel-related records, both military and civil service. Our mission is to provide world class service to Government agencies, military veterans, former civilian Federal employees, family members, as well as researchers and historians.

Military Personnel Records
http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/index.html

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Military Record Requests (SF-180)
How to Obtain Standard Form 180 (SF-180), Request Pertaining to Military Records
http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/standard-form-180.html

The 1973 Fire at the National Personnel Records Center (St. Louis, MO)
http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/fire-1973.html

On July 12, 1973, a disastrous fire at NPRC (MPR) destroyed approximately 16-18 million Official Military Personnel Files. The affected record collections are described below.

Branch Personnel and Period Affected Estimated Loss:

Army Personnel discharged November 1, 1912, to January 1, 1960 80%

Air Force Personnel discharged, September 25, 1947, to January 1, 1964
(with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.) 75%

No duplicate copies of the records that were destroyed in the fire were maintained, nor was a microfilm copy ever produced. There were no indexes created prior to the fire. In addition, millions of documents had been lent to the Department of Veterans Affairs before the fire occurred. Therefore, a complete listing of the records that were lost is not available. Nevertheless, NPRC (MPR) uses many alternate sources in its efforts to reconstruct basic service information to respond to requests.

Getting a Copy of Your Military Records
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/milrecords.htm

U.S. 25th Infantry Division
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._25th_Infantry_Division

Hi Mr. Eller,
I took a guess, and I was wrong. I called Angelo’s son today to see if he’d gotten the papers out and he had. My Uncle was in the 25th I.D. “Tropical Lighting”, but he was in the 161st Infantry, Company L. I don’t know what platoon or rifle squad. Do you know anything about the 161st, Company L? He earned his DSC near Kapintalan, Luzon, Philippines on April 2, 1945. Maybe I could find some old friends of his or maybe family members who remember their relatives talking about my Uncle Angelo. It would help if I had Platoon and rifle squad names. Maybe I’ll be able to find them out later. I did actually write to the National Archives requesting records as a third party relative last week. And ironically enough, I had already ordered the book “Across the Dark Islands: The War in the Pacific” by the late Floyd Radike of the 161st Infantry before I knew my uncle was in the 161st, also. The book description confirmed a story my uncle told my dad about incompetent “90 Day Wonder Lieutenants” during WWII, so I ordered it to learn more. It hasn’t arrived yet, though. My question is this: Did Lieutenants command entire Companies, or just platoons as a rule? I still haven’t figured out the command structure, etc. I know my Uncle was at least a Staff Sergeant by the time he left the army, possibly a Sergeant First Class. And I don’t understand how his serial number indicates that he was drafted from his home in Martinez, CA, but the facts say that he was in a Washington National Guard Unit. How is this possible? It’s confusing! I wish I had been less into Barbies and more into asking questions and learning about my Uncle while he was still alive.

Hi Francesca,

Congratulations again. Looks like the pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together. Floyd Radike’s book on the 161st Infantry sounds interesting. Lieutenants commanded platoons, Companies were commanded by Captains with a Lieutenant and several Sergeants in the Company HQ staff.

I will look for more information on Company L, 161st Infantry from my set of U.S. Army in World War II - one of the volumes - Triumph in the Philippines covers that campaign pretty thoroughly (it is almost 2 inches thick). I’ll post what I find there later.

An interesting bit of trivia that I came across from the volume mentioned above :

2d Lt. Robert M. Viale, a platoon leader of Company K, 148th Infantry, was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for heroic action during the regiment’s advance southward through Manila. Viale was the first of four men of the 37th Division, all from the 148th, to win Medals of Honor in Manila.
from U.S. Army in World War II: Triumph in the Philippines, The War in the Pacific, Stetson Conn, General Editor, National Historical Society, 1994, p 255 note 14.

I have topographic maps showing troop movements of the 161st, 27th and 35th Regiments in the area mentioned below. I will scan and post within the next few days.

Some information on 25th Inf Div at the Kapintalan area on Luzon at the weblink below.

[b]LUZON

KAPINTALAN[/b]

http://www.cacti35th.org/regiment/history/history/luzon9kapitanlan.htm

On 28 March, the regiment received a change of orders. We were to maintain contact with the enemy in our present zone of advance until 31 March, and thereafter block the east approaches of the Putlan River Valley with one battalion less one company. Starting on 29 March, we were to relieve the 27th Infantry’s 1st Battalion in its zone one company at a time, then to attack north astride Highway #5 in zone and by a series of close-in envelopment’s, clear the highway. On battalion plus one company went into Division reserve. In case time hung heavy on our hands, we were to be prepared to assist the 27th and 161st Infantry Regiments in their zones immediately on call.

On the 29th and 30th, the 2d Battalion moved to the Putlan River Valley and went into Division reserve. The 1st Battalion, less B and C Companies, moved to the 64th Field Artillery area to provide local security. B Company went into Division CP as Guard, and C Company remained on the trail at the head of the Roller Coaster Road to block any Jap advance down the road. By the 30th, the 3d Battalion had completed relief of the 1st Battalion, 27th infantry in our new Regimental zone on Highway #5 near Kapintalan.

Shortly after dusk on the 30th, a large Japanese force attacked C Company from all sides. The attack continued fiercely throughout the night. At dawn the company began to withdraw to the bulldozer road, and immediately came under attack by about one hundred fifty Japs in three groups. A Company moved out from the Battalion perimeter around the 64th Field Artillery Battalion’s position to go to their aid. But the Japs had thrown three separate road blocks across the approaches to the Roller Coaster Road and no connection could be made. Battalion Headquarters Company, “Smoot’s Galoot’s” (The Company of Guerillas attached to the regiment, and commanded by Captain Robert Smoot), and finally F Company of the 2d battalion were brought into the struggle to break the road block. At 1900, the last of the blocks was reduced, and C and A Companies made contact. About fifty five Japs were killed during the fight, at a cost of one officer and six of our men killed, four wounded, and one officer missing in action.

The enemy had strong prepared positions in the Kapintalan area, astride all approaches to Balete Pass. We did not know too much about enemy strength in this sector, but their extremely aggressive attitude, suggested that their positions were strongly garrisoned. Approaches to the enemy positions were generally along narrow ridges, usually less then fifty yards wide, and all movement was canalized along the crests. Thus, a few well placed pillboxes defended by auto weapons could hold up the advance of a much larger force. The enemy strongpoints were placed in depth along these narrow ridges. Attempts to go around the flanks were futile simply because the flanks could not be found. Every enemy strongpoint was protected by another just behind it. The only method was to select a line of advance. And push straight ahead, reducing one position after another.

The plan for securing the Kapintalan area appeared intricate but it was actually extremely simple and flexible. Nine prominences in the pillbox-and –cave-infested area east of Highway #5 were marked as the objective. As nearly as possible they were selected to form a square, with rows of three, running east-west and columns of three running north-south. On the overlays, they looked rather like the marks the players make in a tic-tac-toe game. That advantage of the plan was that, after the southernmost row of the objectives were gained, a variety of choices lay before us: if it were feasible we could move up the outer columns of the square to surround the area, or we could occupy all three objectives in each row before moving further north.

Objective number 1, on the southeast corner of the square, was a bare topped ridge known as the “Fishhook” because of its appearance on our photo-maps.

L Company, attacking north-northeast toward this terrain feature on the morning of 2 April, overran a large Jap outpost and advance four hundred yards, receiving only small arms and mortar fire. K Company moved up behind them and occupied the old L Company positions. The next day, both companies sent out patrols to determine the extent of the enemy lines. K Company ran into an east-west line of resistance two hundred yards to their front and suffered two wounded. We were running into thickly wooded terrain which drastically limited visibility. And heavy rains were bogging down the already slow advance.

On 5 April L Company patrols ran into resistance only ten yards from their own lines. Severe casualties were inflicted on the enemy, and the company advanced about one hundred seventy five yards during the day. K Company swung to the northwest with the purpose of coming into line on L Company’s right flank. With the aid of Cannon Company, several pillboxes and caves were knocked out. By dark, the company was about two hundred yards southwest of L Company, and still in contact with the enemy. I Company followed behind K Company as it swung to the right, then cut north so as to come up on the line in the center.

On the 6th and 7th all three companies continues maneuvering into line. They were running into pillbox after pillbox, cleverly camouflaged in the dense undergrowth. When one was located, and our men began to move in on it, two or three others would open up. M-4 tanks, T-32 37mm guns, bazookas, flame-throwers, and white phosphorous grenades were employed against them, and on the 5th, 6th, and 7th, a total of thirty three pillboxes and caves were knocked out.

Heavy rains enhanced the difficulty of the task, but on 8 April the battalion was at last lined up from left to right; K, I, and L. There was a small ditch running toward a piece of high ground on the Fishhook called “Pillbox Hill”, from which machine gun fire had been encountered previously. Company K was given the task of occupying it. The company pushed up the ditch, using tanks and T-32’s to knock out pillboxes, and flame throwers on individual holes. The objective was reached with only seven Japs accounted for; they had apparently evacuated the night before.

(and it continues)

(CONTINUED FROM ABOVE)

On 9 April, after an artillery preparation of approximately two thousand rounds, I and L Companies pushed straight forward five hundred yards and acquired the remainder of the Fishhook against slight resistance. Tanks and pack 37mm guns proved invaluable in accomplishing the mission. In this terrain, the T-32 s often more effective than the tanks in knocking out pillboxes, for they could be brought very close to the target before opening fire.

From the 10th to the 12th, the 3d Battalion remained in position on the Fishhook, sending patrols in all directions to find and destroy Jap stragglers and snipers in the area. On the 12th they were relieved by the 2d Battalion, and moved to the Division Rest Area at Puncan.

The rest Camp at Puncan had been opened on 6 April in accordance with a Division plan to give combat troops a two-week period of rest and relaxation. One battalion from each regiment was to go in a rest camp; on 5 April, the Division had been continually in contact with the enemy for a period of seventy eight days. In addition to the nerve-tension inevitable during combat, the men were weary to the bone from constant marches and counter-marches over some of the roughest terrain on Luzon. The 2d Battalion, for instance, had ridden only four miles during all its maneuverings between the beachhead at Lingayen Gulf and the Putlan River Valley.

The 1st Battalion was the first to benefit from the plan, moving into the camp on the 6th of April. On the 12th, they moved to the Putlan River Valley and relieved the 2d Battalion, which in turn relieved the 3d Battalion at the Fishhook near Kapintalan.

Upon relieving the 3d Battalion on 12 April, the 2d Battalion continued the mission of seizing and securing Kapintalan. The 13th was spent reconnoitering enemy dispositions. At 0845 on the 14th, E Company jumped off from the Fishhook and advanced northward into a deep draw toward the high ground which was there objective. Early in the afternoon they reached the end of the draw, and spent the rest of the afternoon searching for a route to their objective. At nightfall, no opposition had been encountered. Company F, meanwhile, had moved east from Scar Hill and occupied the positions formerly held by E Company on the Fishhook.

At 1245 on the 15th, E Company reached its first objective without opposition. G Company meanwhile, was attempting to reach the crest of a ridge near E Company’s objective. At 1300, three caves and four pillboxes were spotted on the route of advance. T-32 37mm guns were employed against them, but they proved to have been abandoned, and the company continued its march. On the morning of 16 April, they passed through E Company’s positions and continued to higher ground to the north, where they encountered Japs in well prepared positions. An artillery concentration was placed on the area, and G Company pushed on. In the preliminary skirmish which occurred this day, the company killed two Japs and had one of their men killed. Pushing forward the next morning they encountered several more pillboxes and killed twenty-one Japs. At 1030, F Company passed through G Company’s lines and kept going until, in mid-afternoon, they were stopped by heavy and continuous 47mm, mortar, and machine gun and rifle fire from a deep wooded draw in their line of advance. Since it was too late to attack, they withdrew one hundred yards and dug in for the night.

At 1130 the next day, E Company passed through G Company’s lines and after an artillery preparation pushed into the draw from which the enemy had stopped the F Company drive the day before. By nightfall they had reduced the enemy strongpoint and reached the high ground at the head of the draw, and on the morning of the 19th the company had moved out down the ridge toward Highway #5. They advanced slowly during the day, meeting little opposition, but encountering numerous deserted caves and emplacements. The slow advance was due to the fact that each cave had to be investigated and destroyed, to prevent the Japs infiltrating back and reoccupying them – which may have been their intention. On the morning of the 20th, the forward elements of E Company reached Kapintalan Bridge on Highway #5, and, finding a large pillbox under the bridge, destroyed it, killing seven Japs.

From the 21st to the 23rd, the 2d Battalion patrolled extensively to the northeast, and swept the draws and ravines around Kapintalan, sealing caves and destroying emplacements and other Jap installations, including one large bamboo barracks. On the evening of the 21st, two Japs were observed going into a cave at the turn of the highway above Kapintalan Bridge. Only one came out. The next morning, G Company sealed the cave with demolitions. It was opened again at 1400 and yielded eighteen suffocated Japs, a brand new 47mm anti-tank gun, four Enfield rifles, two 1903 US army rifles, an M-1, a Jap .25 caliber rifle, and a light machine gun.

Reconnaissance patrols to the west of Highway #5 had disclosed the presence of a concentration of Jap positions which the 2d Battalion, totally committed to their present zone of advance, were not able to handle. On the morning of the 17th, therefor, Company C was attached to the battalion with the mission of advancing and destroying the enemy in this area. By nightfall they had advanced five hundred yards from the jump off point, entered a deep ravine in which they encountered opposition from two enemy pillboxes, and destroyed them.

On the morning of 18 April the remainder of the 1st Battalion, leaving only D Company to guard the eastern approaches to the Putlan River Valley, moved up near C Company’s location east of Highway #5 and south of the 2d Battalion’s positions, with the mission of clearing the area of enemy pillboxes and caves. Company C, meanwhile, continued to move southwest down the deep wooded ravine they had entered the day before, reducing several enemy emplacements. At noon, Company B jumped off to catch up with company C. By 500, C Company had advanced another four hundred yards, and B Company held ground to their north. During the day, seven caves were sealed and a machine gun emplacement destroyed.

The next day the two companies, continuing side by side down the draw, destroyed eighteen caves, six pillboxes, and encountered a number of spider holes. In addition, they knocked out a 70mm gun. Progress was slow down this draw not due to enemy action so much as the thick jungle growth, and the necessity of eliminating every cave or pillbox discovered. At the end of the day, the forward elements of B Company were six hundred yards south-southeast of Kapintalan Bridge; an advance of six hundred yards during the day.

On the 20th, forward elements of both companies reached the highway, B company encountered no resistance; C Company engaged in two firefights, both times with small suicide groups which delayed the advance only temporarily. The battalion spent the 21st mopping up in the area they had taken. Six more caves were destroyed and twenty-one Japs killed; this the last enemy resistance in the ravine. By nightfall on the 21st, Highway #5 was cleared of the enemy as far north as Kapintalan Bridge.

D Company, relieved in the Putlan River Valley by the 25th Reconnaissance Troop, rejoined the battalion on the 22nd. Although the road was clear as far as Kapintalan, many bypassed Jap positions remained in the draws and ravines east of Highway #5, and it was not until the 28th that the job was completed.

SEE MORE AT:

http://www.cacti35th.org/regiment/history/hist_index.htm

toward bottom of page under heading:

LUZON
The Campaign in the Plains

and

The Campaign in the Mountains

What’s funny is that even if I was wrong about my uncle being in the 35th, I was actually right about the mountain being “Fishhook”. I am continually amazed at how much information was preserved in such detail. Thanks again for all of the research. The details about mortar and small arms fire also fits with family accounts, as well. So far I’ve found 4 of the veterans/families on the list of lost dog tags found. I read that about Robert Viale earlier in my search. He was originally from Bayside, near Eureka, CA. I looked in the local phone book for Viales and found one. I called and asked him if he was related to Robert Viale and sure enough,Robert was his Great Uncle. Small world, isn’t it? We’re working together to see if we might be related from waaayyyy back in Italy.

That’s amazing. New information keeps coming in on a steady basis. That’s great that your cousin Bob has documentation and photographs about your uncle Angelo’s military service and awards. Maybe he can supply copies to you.

That is also an interesting story about Robert Viale and his wife and grand nephew. It is a small world. I had a feeling when I read about him that he might be related to you. It is interesting too, that Robert and Angelo Viale were both fighting on Luzon (although in different units) during the same time period and that both were decorated for distinguishing themselves in combat, although Robert received his medal posthumously. And both were residents of California.

I will be out this evening, but I do plan to scan those maps that I mentioned previously. I will probably post them tomorrow night. Also, I will post more on the 161st Regiment as promised.

Also, on the dog tags - there were a couple other army divisions on New Georgia if I remember correctly. I will check to let you know their designations.

I hope that you have continued success in your research.

George

Thanks again for your reply. You’ve been very kind to continue replying. I made no progress on my dog tag search today. I was taking a little break. However, I am really wondering about something. Say that the family of a veteran sells his dog tags and war memorabilia when he dies. They don’t care about the dog tags and letters for some reason and they just sell the entire estate. Do the dog tags revert back to the Federal Government since they are the ones who originally issued them? The reason I ask is because I just saw the saddest thing on ebay. A pilot was killed in action during WWII. His dog tags were sold for $137.50 on ebay. There was also a letter that his platoon had sent to his mother. I was so upset when I read this, I wrote to the seller. His two sentence response was. “The family didn’t want them. I bought them at the estate sale.” It just seems wrong to me that any dog tag should be sold-ever. It seems as if there should be a Museum or something. What do you think? Has this ever been discussed on this forum before?