Use of ranks in screen names

I think I am going to channel the grumpiness of rising Sun here…

Personally, I don’t approve of using ranks in screen names, unless the user has actually been promoted to that rank in real life. I feel that it is terribly presumptuous to call yourself “Colonel” or “Sergeant”, and it seems to indicate a particular kind of poster (you know who you are). It is not quite as bad as trying to “pull rank” based on the site rankings from post count (which, though patently ridiculous, has happened occasionally on here in the last few years), but it is getting damn close in sadness.

Flame on.

I see your point, but do you want the rank-insignia to be removed, too? Or are you only talking about the actual written out rank? Because if they followed your argument, they would have to remove both, and that would be too bad.

An alternative would be to just add a ww2forum in front of it. So that you have ww2forum-sergeants and ww2forum-lieutenants.

Additional idea: Add the correct ranks for each nation.

No, he’s talking about people’s names like Colonel Hogan(sorry Col.).

Aye. No probs with the ‘rankings’ per se, just in names.

I actually find it rather useful, because it’s quite a good predictor for nutters/idiots. If I see a thread has recently been posted in by someone with a rank in their name (with a couple of exceptions - notably Gen. Sandworm when he’s about) then the chances are it’s going to need moderator attention.

So as far as I’m concerned names including a rank are legit, but those who want them should be aware that doing so puts them automatically on my shitlist!

YA!. You don’t want to be on PDF’s shitlist!
I’ve been at the bottom of his shitlist for almost a year, and I don’t even have a fancy schmansy rank in my name. It’s hard trying to get out of the shit. Some day’s though I see a smiley face at the end of PDF’s posts to me, and I feel a little uplifted, sigh…:rolleyes:

Actually, you aren’t really on it any more. I’ve got you filed as an idiot but not a troublemaker any more.

I’m sure that makes him feel a lot better now ^^

He’ll probably be sad and start messing with the system again… :rolleyes:

oh herman you jokester

Get your coat PDF, I think you’ve pulled !

There’s plenty of pulling going on in that relationship, but none of it by pdf27. :smiley:

Fact is, if you’re a mod, Herman is yours for the asking. He’s the forum’s only mod groupie. :smiley:

I bet the other members are jealous they’re not getting any. Especially PK, who must be spewing blood that he resigned as a mod before Herman came along to entice the mods with his considerable Canadian charms. :wink: :rolleyes:

This sounds amazingly awesome and at the same time extremely scary and awkward…

It is undoubtedly scary when Herman bends over and you’re right that it’s amazingly awesome, but he’s used to it so it’s not at all awkward.

So I’m told. :smiley:

Doesn’t sound like 2nd hand knowledge to me :wink:

The use of ranks is really nothing important other than to show who has had a long-term relationship / been a significant poster on a board. Certainly it is nothing to worry about IMO.

Well, it is.

I would have liked to be the first hand, but we don’t get everything we want in life. :mrgreen:

that’s life… but who is the first hand then, if not you? pdf27?

I wasn’t there, so I can’t comment.

i chose the name because he is my favorite character off the television show hogans heroes