USMC's "Stinger" .30-06 GPMG?

I just saw something on the History Channel regarding the USMC’s “Stinger” machinegun, which was used towards the end of the Pacific War. It looks awfully similar to the M1919A6, but the rate of fire was at 1200-1350 rpm! Anyone have some knowledge on this?

The Stinger a modified M1919A6?

Found some info on this gun…

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=156436&#893822

It does look like the M1919A6.

i watched the same thing it was the .50 Cal from a Jeep or tank but they took the stock of the M1 Garand and attached it, they also took the bipod and rear sit from the B.A.R and attached them to it. that way the Stinger could be fired from the hip or ground position with out to bad of recoil.

I may have missed a few things while watching it but i think this is correct, but im realy not sure on the Caliber of the gun.

that was the “shootout-iwo jima” episode…it was an anm2 .30 cal aircraft gun modded,as noted,with a cut down garand stock,BAR sights and bipod and a hella rate of fire…though usually it would be fired in short bursts at close range…

finally found a picture of one of these…

thats a nasty looking critter…

The Marine who created that was Tony Stein with the 28th Marines on Iwo .Tony was a toolmaker from Dayton Ohio and he cannibalized a .30 cal machine gun from a fighter plane he was later killed on Iwo and received the MOA .

September 30, 1921 - March 1, 1945

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Company A, First Battalion, Twenty-Eighth Marines, Fifth Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, in the Volcano Island, 19 February 1945. The first man of his unit to be on station after hitting the beach in the initial assault, Corporal Stein, armed with a personally improvised aircraft-type weapon, provided rapid covering fire as the remainder of his platoon attempted to move into position and, when his comrades were stalled by a concentrated machine-gun and mortar barrage, gallantly stood upright and exposed himself to the enemy's view, thereby drawing the hostile fire to his own person and enabling him to observe the location of the furiously blazing hostile guns. Determined to neutralize the strategically placed weapons, he boldly charged the enemy pillboxes one by one and succeeded in killing twenty of the enemy during the furious single-handed assault. Cool and courageous under the merciless hail of exploding shells and bullets which fell on all sides, he continued to deliver the fire of his skillfully improvised weapon at a tremendous rate of speed which rapidly exhausted his ammunition. Undaunted, he removed his helmet and shoes to expedite his movements on ran back to the beach for additional ammunition, making a total of eight trips under intense fire and carrying or assisting a wounded man back each time. Despite the unrelenting savagery and confusion of battle, he rendered prompt assistance to his platoon whenever the unit was in position, directing the fire of a half-track against a stubborn pillbox until he had effected the ultimate destruction of the Japanese fortification. Later in the day, although his weapon was twice shot from his hands, he personally covered the withdrawal of his platoon to the company position. Stouthearted and indomitable, Corporal Stein, by his aggressive initiative, sound judgment and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of terrific odds, contributed materially to the fulfillment of his mission, and his outstanding valor throughout the bitter hours of conflict sustained and enhanced the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

HARRY S. TRUMAN

So this was Americas ‘MG42’ then?

Thats why i think the Brits should have done this with thier .303 Brownings.

You cannot have such a high rate of fire in an air cooled ground machine gun with no quick change barrel facility. It would overheat too quickly. As an emergency expedient, fine, better than nothing. The idea of such an official conversion is, frankly, laughable.

Not to mention who in the world is going to carry all that ammo LOL

Here is a photo of the original

i’ll have to get those posted to my freind thats working on an airsoft version of it…damn…6 months ago i couldn’t barely find any info on it at all…thanks guys…

Np let me know if he needs any help

Why didnt the Stinger ever be selected as the standard US GPMG?, The only modification would be a changeable 7.62 NATO barrel/M4 Carbine stock.

the ANM2/ M1919 design does not have a quick change barrel feature designed into it.the barrel and breach have to be disassembled to replace the barrel.they are based off the M1917A1 water cooled MG that had no need for a in the field barrel change feature since it was water cooled.the stinger was just a limited field experiment by armorers in one unit that had some ANM2 from the navy…it was an effort to increase the base of fire of their squads at the time when most marine riflemen still carried the bolt action '03 springfield.

and thanks gutkowski. i’ll let him know…

Because it is utterly idiotic – modification to a quick change barrel is nontrivial, an M4 Carbine stock would fall apart quickly, the rate of fire is too fast, the production costs too high, the whole thing too heavy and badly balanced, and it fires from a closed bolt.

Oh, and did I say – it’s a really stupid idea.

The ‘Tube’ stock found on the M71 Valmet rifle would be better than an M4 Stock;)

The gunner could also use a BAR Belt to handle the recoil force.

javascript:openSlideShow(0, 0);

… and is an equally stupid idea.

Please, you’ve been spreading this nonsense all over the Internet – just drop it.