USS George Washington

The USS George Washington will be the first U.S. Navy nuclear-powered vessel to station permanently in Japan.There have been large protests by the Japanese community over this decision. Should America have the right to station any of their nuclear powered ships in foreign countries such as Japan?What are the ethical and moral issues surrounding this recent decision by the U.S. Navy?

Protecting the Japane from “very possible” N.Korean - Chinas treat /Irans’ missles :slight_smile: i suppose…
From what time Washington should explain what they do and why?

The japanese (ive heard) has 3 rules.
No making nukes
No having nukes
No nukes inside japan

note: Im not sure nuke here (核) means all nuclear weapons (including nuclear subs etc) or just nuclear WMDs.

though unlike some other nations, nuclear power plants are wide spread.

If a terrorist happened to cause the nuclear ship to explode or there was something that caused a radiation leak that impacted on the Japanese citizens then I wonder how much the Japanese would like America since they have a history of nuclear issues. Why couldn’t America send a non-atomic ship instead of the USS Washington to apease the Japanese mentality and protests. The USS Washington is replacing an aging war ship so there is no question about having a warship but just the fact that it is atomic.
I don’t think anyone likes the feeling living near something that is atomic. Can the Japanese government demand that the warship leave and be replaced by something non-atomic? By what right do the Americans have to do this?is it due to the war treaty after WW2 which gives them the right?. I can feel for the Japanese who do not want this war ship there. I would not want an American war ship which is atomic, coming to port in Toronto, let alone being stationed permanately, like in Japan.

Going back to the Treaty of Westphalia, the US has no right to station any ship in Japan without the agreement of the Japanese.

I seriously doubt the USS GW is “stationed permanently” there…

And while the Japanese revile nuclear weapons, they sure have no problem using nuclear power. And there are rumors that the Japanese Defense Force has nuke designs on the drawing board and could produce nuclear weapons in a matter of months, if not weeks! A bit disingenuous from their moral, very public, stand against the horrors of nuclear weapons…

As far as US Navy ships with nuclear weapons on board making port call in Japan, the policy is very clearly “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

the japanese did expiriment with muclear powered vessels but they leaked too much so was scrapped.

It is true that America is trying to protect them from N. Korea but not to long ago out stoopid president is calling them “are closes friends” or something like that and has a treaty or something of that sort. Who else heard that so that you can clear my story.

Whom has Bush called as a “closest friend”?Japane or N Korea:)?

Channel 2 news indicated that the war ship is going to be stationed permanently in Japan so there is no doubt about it.

N.Korea, and I just remebered that he sent hundreds of tons of food to N.Korea while our country is also having a crisis because of the floods.

In due time, I am sure that Buch will be sending oil to North Korea too, financed by American tax payers!..It’s bad enough Bush has to pay a Billion dollars to Pakistan just so he can land his planes during the war. How much aid and freebies does America give out each year while Americans suffer without medical aid or get slow response during crisis for food etc…it is a very sad day indeed