USS Houston found

A sunken vessel in the Java Sea has been confirmed as the wreck of the USS Houston, a cruiser sunk by the Japanese during a ferocious Second World War battle.
It serves as the final resting place for about 700 sailors and Marines.
The wreck has long been a popular recreational diving site, but has been confirmed by US and Indonesian Navy divers as being the remains of the Houston, nicknamed The Galloping Ghost Of The Java Coast.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2728423/Sunken-vessel-World-War-II-era-USS-Houston.html#ixzz3Asup9dX6

Firepower: President Franklin Roosevelt under the big guns of the USS Houston in 1938

Wow it was a really interesting article. I’m glad that they have located that ship and it’s confirmed that it is actually USS Houston. It’s shame that all those men died aboard that ship and a majority that survived became Prisoners of war. Though it still a neat little article to read.

Very glad it’s been confirmed. This was a beautiful ship, the largest surviving member of our Pacific Squadron, but also hopelessly outnumbered even with British, Dutch and Australian naval vessels. The fate of the surviving prisoners was horrible. I’ve never understood the Japanese cruelty, but they ultimately received what they dealt out. I guess it was a ferocious sea battle - seems more like a slaughter to me.

how can it be a dive site for years and only now be “confirmed” to be the Houston (A cruiser battleship!!)?
The waters are clear.
Normally the divers (especially foreigners having historical interest) find out about their dive wrecks.
The guns are clear, the size of the wreck is clear.
And the java sea is not exactly a ww2 fleet grave yard. The few sunk battleships are distinct enough.

One would think it to be fairly easy, and straight forward, but that isn’t always the case.You saw the state of the wreck, it would take the finding of the Ship’s Bell, or some other clearly marked artifacts to legally confirm the identity of the wreck. In some cases, a hearing has to be held to officially judge the evidence, and render a decision. The process is a picky business, and will take more than a little time once suspicion of its identity arises. (and let’s not forget the paperwork involved.)It can be made even more cumbersome once National Gov’t’s get involved, as in most cases, a sunken vessel is still that State’s property, and subject to whatever applicable Treaties, and laws may be in force.