Veterans History Project

Ok, if you haven’t already guessed it i’m only in High School.
A teacher recently pitched the idea to my class that we should in some capacity participate in this project as an extra credit assignment

http://www.loc.gov/vets/

This was pitched to me as a project centered around WW2 although i’m not sure why because it looks like it includes all veterans in general, but the general idea is that veterans are dying fast, alarmingly fast and of all people involved in ww2, either in the armed forces or on the home front, very few of their stories have been recorded. So the idea is if you know a veteran or anyone who contributed to the war effort you would interview them while recording the interview on camera and submit that video to the library of congress where it will be archived and preserved for future generations

I am telling you this
a) to boost my number of posts
and
b) because this idea really doesn’t suck and i know that many people here know veterans of wars and may want their stories preserved

so if you know, or are a veteran please consider this

also remember that the stories of people who contributed to the war effort in other ways are also accepted

Don’t want to hijack your thread, but wanted to tell you about the “heroes remember” website by Veterans Affairs Canada. They’ve essentially done the same thing you’re doing, but the interviews can be found online here.

Check it out if you feel like it.

World War 2 Specificly. There are a boat load of interviews to check out… but at the same time I hope they’ve actually done more and have yet to put them online.

Thanks for the post! I know my husband has wanted to do this but has either been swamped with training or deployed for pretty much the last 2 and 1/2 years. I’m going to add a link to it from my blog and do a write up on it, maybe get some other’s motivated to get at it too :slight_smile: thanks for the canada link as well