Vs 5

VS 5 was an experimental semi-submersible torpedo boat (Versuchs Schnellboot) completed in 1941 and based on a 1938 patent by a Berlin dentist. The intended armament included two 21in torpedo tubes and two 2cm cannon. Its fate after 1941 is unknown. I dont know where it was built can somebody help me here?

I have translated the german at the bottom of the photos.

1st photo is of the VS 5 in dry dock. No text.
2ed photo says B. 6390.Building report admission of 10.4.41. Test run. (October 4 1941)
3ed Photo says Nr. B 664 “Angel man boat” launching of a vessel at 14.1.1941 (January 14 1941)

The fourth photo is a plan of the vessel

vs_5_0102.jpg

vs_5_0202.jpg

vs_5_0302.jpg

vs_5_scheme.jpg

I suppose the boat was exceptionally fast by ‘Schnellboot’, correct? Does ‘Vesuchs’ translate into anything?

I used an online translator but it wont translate the word

I’ll check my dictionary for possibilities :wink:

thank you

I looked it up and it basically means testing experiment.

Versuchs: ~ansalt f research institute; ~ballon m sounding balloon; einen ~ ballon steigen lassen (fig) guinea-pig; ~objekt nt test subject; (fig: Mensche) guinea-pig; ~person f experimental subject; ~reihe f series of experiments; ~stadium nt experimental stage; ~strecke f test track; ~tier nt laboratory animal; v~weise adv as a trial, on a trial basis.

I hope that helps!

Thank you I guess experimental torpedo boat fit’s then,

What do you think about the photographs?

I think they’re really interesting! I have to be honest though, because at first I thought it was a racing boat! :mrgreen:

It looks like it is designed to cut through the water at high speed, though i think it could go faster if it just rode on top, not through.(look at the second photo the water is being forced downword). It’s an odd looking boat.
If only i could find out what happended to it after 1941 and where it was made.

Well if you can’t manage to find anything on this forum, I’d check others such as Feldgrau :wink:

ok, thank you agian

No problem :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info 50gunship, weird looking machine.