War stimulators

Every country in WW used some types of stimulations for soldiers. In German it was prostitutes, in Russia was a 100 gramm of vodka every day for soldiers of front line and 50 in the second line. In the Britain and USA was coffein and tanin. Anyone know more about it?

:lol: lol
I don`t know that :roll:

Yep. More funny, the Hitler personally worked with that project. He even personally set a norms to work of them and create a method of classification on three groups: privates, unter-officers and officers. For example, the official crew of “Dora” gun include in self 40 prostitutes.

lucky guys! :slight_smile:

Ive heard that alot of the German soliders used meth to keep up with that advancement of the Army in the early days. Im not exactly sure of this. But i do know that Hitler used a meth like product that help him stay awake. Probably a good indicator of his condition late in the war.

American soldiers were given a new candy designed specifically so that it would not melt all over the place: M & M chocolate candies.

I don’t know how much motivation can be had from such, but I guess a little sugar boost could not hurt.

Chocolate’s always good.

When on exercise, it was a little rule of thumb of mine that I could always fit another curlywurly or chomp bar into my webbing somewhere.

I know that many Allied air crew used amphetamines to stay awake during long missions. IIRC this was encouraged by their superiors!

Komissar Ombrok

I am not sure what you mean by coffein and tannin. I have tried to find info but with no luck. Could you elaborate please.

Now if you said Tea I would understand.

[i]Thursday July 29, 2004
The Guardian

A controversial drug which can keep people awake for days has been bought in significant quantities by the Ministry of Defence, the Guardian has learned.
The MoD has admitted to buying more than 24,000 Provigil pills, which are licensed in Britain only to help people with rare sleeping disorders shrug off daytime sleepiness. Experts say the drug could be used “off licence” to keep pilots and special forces troops awake on little sleep.

According to figures from the Defence Medical Supplies Agency, which provides medical products “to sustain UK military capability”, the MoD has been buying the drug since 1998 at prices at least 10% lower than those charged to the NHS.

The figures, which were released to the Guardian under the open government code, show that purchases peaked with an order for more than 5,000 pills in 2001, the year allied forces entered Afghanistan. The next largest order - for more than 4,000 pills - was delivered in 2002, the year before troops entered Iraq. In total, the ministry has spent more than �43,000 on the drugs.

The use of controversial stimulants by the US military was highlighted after an incident in April 2002 near Kandahar in Afghanistan.
Two US F-16 pilots, Major Harry Schmidt and Major William Umbach, mistakenly bombed a Canadian infantry unit, killing four and injuring eight. In the ensuing legal discussions, the pilots’ lawyers said that the airmen had felt pressured into taking amphetamine before the mission.

Precisely how Provigil works is unknown, even to its developers. According to some reports, common side effects include nervousness, insomnia, excitation, irritability, tremors, dizziness and headaches. It may also cause “gastrointestinal disturbances”, including nausea and abdominal pain, and cardiovascular effects such as high blood pressure and palpitations.
[/i]

It seems that things have progressed a long way from “combat coffee”.
Dexedrine and similar “speed” type drugs seem to be in use in combat situations by UK and US special forces, and perhaps by combat pilots.
A newer group of drugs being investigated are the ergogenic drugs, already used by athletes, for stamina and strength.