Warsaw Uprising

I’m new on this Forum and want to introduce myself to Moderators and Members.

I’m of Polish extraction and live in Sydney, Australia. My father fought in 2-nd Polish Corps, Carpathian Lancers Regiment in Italy 1943-45. My uncle was in Home Army Intelligence in Warsaw during occupation and Uprising. My mum was also in Warsaw uprising. Another uncle, member of Polish High Command in 1939 was shot by soviets in Katyn.
I did not read the whole Forum yet, but I see many topics which are very interesting for me and will participate soon.
My particular interests are: Western Europe, Pacific and war crimes everywhere in WWII.
I guess that I’m a bit older than most Members and hope that I may be of some assistance to many of you.

Here is an interesting site in english about Warsaw Uprising:

http://www.warsawuprising.com/

If you have any questions about unusual, unknown to you weapons, uniforms etc. please ask.

Below also site in polish, but I would encourage you to explore it anyway. On the left hand side are contents icons. Scrolling down you can see icons of uniforms, armour, weapons etc. - great resource of info about Allies and Axis in WWII.

http://www.whatfor.prv.pl/

Best regards,

Lancer44

Welcome aboard, that Polish site is well worth a look, it has loads of informaton and good pictures!

Hope you have a happy stay!

Witam Lancer44!
good to meet another polish member!

Welcome!

I think it’s not a widely known fact.
I wonder how many Slovakians realize that during Warsaw Uprising (in fact since 1942) a whole platoon fought against Germans. It was known as Platoon No 535 or Slovakian Platoon. It consisted of 57 soldiers: 28 Slovakians, 3 Hungarians, 6 Georgians, 1 Ukrainian, 1 Czech and 18 Poles.
Unfortunately, the majority of them were killed during the uprising. Those who managed to get on the east bank of Vistula, where caught by Soviets. Their fate remains unkown. Only few member of platoon survived the war.

Very good link, good photos, If there was any army in history who deserves victory…that was the Armia Krajowa.

I just learned that some new photos from Warsaw Uprising were recently discovered.
A bit of explanation how this was possible 62 years after the events.
New discoveries are mainly in communist Secret Service archives. Commies meticulously archived all items which they confiscated during the house searches of arrested Home Army members after the war - up to 1952.
These archives are now examined and results you can see:

Home Army fighter during lull in fighting. Early August 44. Not much weapons yet.

Just before attack on PASTA telephone exchange. Stream of gasoline from Home Army “flame thrower”, (which was a firebrigade pump), is clearly seen rising up from the house on Zielna St.

PIAT anti tank grenade launchers dropped by RAF, US, SAAF and Polish planes were much welcomed and put to good use.

Home Army soldiers after successful attack on German Police Headquarters.

Last two pictures show barricade on Chmielna St.
They are very personal for me, because my mother lived on this street and many times told me how she participated in building barricade there at the evening of 1-st of August 44. This is probably this barricade, very provisional.
Later such hastily build by civilians “fortifications” were replaced by more solid structures constructed under supervision of Home Army sappers.
“Bracia Pakulscy” shop was before the war one of the best delicatessen in Warsaw, with huge stores well supplied even during German occupation. My mom told me that living in close proximity to this shop during Rising made life much easier. At the end it was just maccaroni or “kasha” but still delicacy for
starving population.

And finally - exit from sewers - the most dreaded and most effective way of communication, logistics and evacuation of people during Warsaw Uprising.

Photos courtesy of Warsaw Uprising Museum.

Cheers,

Lancer44

Edited once to add source.

Lancer44 wrote "Last two pictures show barricade on Chmielna St.
They are very personal for me, because my mother lived on this street and many times told me how she participated in building barricade there at the evening of 1-st of August 44. This is probably this barricade, very provisional. "

What an incredible history your family has, it amazes me what the Poles went through in the run up to, during and after WW2 - your family seemed at the heart of many major events - hats off to them.

Hi mate,
Thank you. Nothing unusual in this part of Europe… Nearly every family in Poland have similar or even more interesting stories to tell.
I have to get my scanner going and start showing some photos on this Forum. At the moment it is connected to desktop which is occupied by my wife. Maybe I should buy new one…

Cheers,

Lancer44

Interesting pics Lancer, thanks.

The fight in Warsaw from german point of view. (video)

http://www.wochenschau-archiv.de/kontrollklfenster.php?&PHPSESSID=&dmguid=08E92C0055BA58DF030103009D21A8C0740B000000&inf=494600&outf=620280&funktion=play250k

I am currently researching The Carpathian Lancers Im interested in the ORBAT and wondering if a Tedeusz Karol Kurlandzki served in this unit in Italy and Tobruk. I wonder if you could point me in the right direction.

Hi mate,

I cannot help you. I don’t know. There is history of Carpathian Lancers Regiment by Jan Bielatowicz “Ulani Karpaccy”, London 1966.
It includes list of every soldier ever serving in this regiment.
If you can find this book it will help you.

I’ll try to ask my friend, historian in Poland, about Tadeusz Kurlandzki. Perhaps he will know.

Best regards,

Lancer44

Cheers Lancer,
I will try and purchase the book,do you know prior to the out break of WW11 where the Polish Officer Cadets were trained?
I believe it was somewhere in Warsaw and I would like to visit if its still in the city.
All the Best

Hi scarred4life,

I believe you want to visit the “Szkoła Podchorążych Piechoty” (Infantry Officer Cadets School) in Ostrów Mazowiecka. It is about 90 km NE from Warsaw. Unfortunately the school doesn’t exist there anymore. As far as I know you can visit the military complex where the school was placed because it is open for tourists.

If it is vital for you, I can try to get some info for you. Maybe there is still some museum or archive. I could try after the weekend.

Cheers,

Kovalski

[QUOTE=Kovalski;89301]If it is vital for you, I can try to get some info for you. Maybe there is still some museum or archive. I could try after the weekend.

Cheers,

Kovalski[/QUOT

Thanks Kovalski
Thats a good start for me Im trying to trace my fathers army career,all I know is that he was a young officer in the Carpathian Lancers,and served in Italy and Africa. When he was alive he would not speak about the war and very little about his life in Warsaw prior to the war.
All your help and Lancer44`s help is much appreciated.
All the Best
Scarred4life

Ostrow Mazowiecki cadet Officers School was one of many in pre-war Poland.
I would guess that Tadeusz Kurlandzki would rather graduate from Grudziadz Cavalry School.
Karpathian Lancers Regiment with major, (later general), Bobinski as it’s creator and major, (later colonel), Zakrzewski, was sort of an elite unit very much gathering members of polish gentry.
As a sample I can point to you: kpr. pchr Potocki, son of ordinate Potocki from Lancut, Jan Jozef Lipski, polish ambassador in Berlin in 1939 and many others like Tolloczko, Mentel, Dziewicki etc.

Any questions welcomed!

Cheers,

Lancer44

Thankyou Lancer44
There is a statue at the entrance of Westpoint NY of a Polish Officer do you know his name?
Cheers
Scarred4life