Water canteen

Thank you guys on your help on this

Your welcome

The US doesn’t buy or issue gear made by other countries.
(Except for WW2 when some web gear was made in England and marked US.)

So a US grunt in vietnam wouldn’t have a Dutch canteen issued to him.
The pic of cover doesn’t show makers mark on back either.

USMC was still using WW2 web gear in vietnam big time.

There’s several sites showing US gear from WW1 to now.

http://www.vietnamgear.com/equipment.aspx

http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_ww2webgear.php

The US copied the Dutch canteen. So maybe it’s Made in the Netherlands for te US.

Don’t forget 50% of the US Vietnam soldiers weared a m1910 canteen and the other ones a newer model.

You are very ignorant or a troll.

I’m done posting.

You are very ignorant I’m only right.

MOD EDIT: banned for antagonizing and complete lack of quality of posting…

I’m glad I Know Nothing. Even if I am not from Barcelona … Yours from the Distressed Zone, JR.

I know this is a bit off topic but ( it involves AikeUSA) I was wondering two things. Does anyone (by chance) know what his deal was and how often do you get users like that? (sorry if this was against any rules I figure that the quickest answer to this would be here.)

I know I said done posting, but…

I wish he had posted some valid links.

Why would a soldier be issued gear with gibberish on it, when his army has millions of their own gear.

Plus the Dutch weren’t in Vietnam war?

If you’ve got a USGI canteen, metal or plastic, it will have “US” on it somewhere.
The plastic ones have, in English, a warning about heat.

The Canteen pictured in this thread is not a U.S. Canteen, its not even a close copy. It may fit in a U.S. canteen cup, and cover, but its not U.S. Gov’t issue. This is the real McCoy. (You did right by sticking around, idiots will come, and go around here, just ignore them, and continue to contribute good information. )

I wanna make jokes about Dutch canteens doubling as a bong, but I won’t… :mrgreen:

I had always thought that their gas masks were for entertainment, as at the time, they were allowed beards, which made the mask pretty much useless for anything else. (the Devil made me do it) :smiley:

well i knew that the cover and that outer shelling part (which could be used for bowl things) was World War 2 because I have that same model.

“Bowl things”?
“Same model”?

Could you explain?

The cover looks like a USGI unmounted M-1910, but it doesn’t have any makers mark on back, unless its under one of the flaps.
With that big wide hook holder, could be from 1945 to 1950s mfg.

The olive drab link I posted should explain any questions about US web gear you could ask.

I believe by outer shell he means the Canteen cup. (unless Kilroy, “Bowl” means something else to you. ) :wink:

ya I meant canteen cup I was having a slow day

But the OP didn’t show a canteen cup?

I’ve got a canteen cup that looks like one posted, but it was made in 1951, so its not WW2.

Plus the “KNIP HIER” on the fasteners doesn’t sound US either.

Its all good Kilroy, :slight_smile: The thing is that Canteens, and their cups, and covers have not changed all that much since WW I aside from the Alice cover which while being made from some other material still clings to the original cover’s basic design. Some pics from the net. From Left: WW I set, set used since before I was in the Army. (Note Cup is the same config.) then the modern “Alice” set, same canteen, butterfly type cup, and shiny nylon cover. first showing up in the later 60’s.(although the one I had was the same as image #2) lastly details of the Cup showing the underfolding latch handle with slot for stringing on the mess kit latch along with utensils for easy(er) cleaning in the field. Canteens really have not changed all that much in the past 100 yrs. One thing I can tell you is that the metal one doesn’t add a taste to the water, but the plastic one definitely will. Very unpleasant. Even though the MFG dates dont work, its may still be the very same pattern, or model.

canteencupandcover.jpg

Note the rolled lip on cup in pic one.
I’ve got one, 1918 mfg.

If you see a cup without two slots in handle, its a clone (Rothco).
Clones don’t work with US gear, cup won’t fit canteen, etc.

Every army had their idea of a canteen.
Some had cups on top of canteen, some no cup.
I’ve got a Soviet canteen that comes with a cup and a pot that all nest together.
Also have a German canteen with cups on top and bottom.

Amazing that Korea can make all the WW2 web gear and make it look perfect.
A few US makers can make some good repros too.
I got a bat wing (dog ear) cover from one guy, looks real USMC.