Water canteen

Hi

What’s your feelings on this canteen.

]

It doesn’t elicit much feeling. But definitely post-WWII, the webbing could be from the 1960’s or 70’s I think (aka The Vietnam Era)…

The words on the canteen are Dutch, and warn against heating the canteen. The BB 69 may be the max temperature (in Celsius) the bottle can stand, or a MFG code. It looks like the U.S. bottle, but not exactly, so it may have been produced under license, by the Netherlands, or by contract for them. The pics show a U.S. bottle, and its markings.

M56candate.jpg

Hi Nickdfresh

Probably used the wrong words “whats your feelings on this:rolleyes:”, it is a Dutch issue, but I think the plastic canteen was used by the American soldiers, post WW2, I give a pound for it, at a arms fair, about a month ago.

Chunky

Hi tankgeezer, yes the words mean roughly “no hot water”, on the two releasy studs/clasps, it has “KNIP HIER” LIFT HEAR?, nice photos of your canteen, I would be happy with having that writing on mine, at least yours was used by the Americans. Chunky

“Knip” has alot of meanings in my trans matrix, but two of them are “snap”, and “fasten” . You have a nice canteen there, do you have the metal cup that goes with it ?

Afraid that’s all I got, didn’t think a cup would have came with it, are there any photos of one.

The cup was originally issued with the metal canteen, and continued on when the plastic version came along. You can probably find one on ebay, or some other site that sells such things.

images.jpg

Got to ask, would there have been a moulding shape at the bottom of the plastic bottle, that the cup would have sat in, then making it flush, as I can only see a strait trim to the bottle I have.

The cup is shaped to allow the bottle to sit down in it, and both then fit inside the canvas carrier. I don’t recall there being any former in the carrier to receive the cup.The cup handle folds up around the underside until needed The cup fits snug enough in the carrier to keep it from accidentally coming along when the bottle is drawn out.

Thank you tankgeezer, now I know it sits at the bottom of the bottle, I will try and get one. Chunky

The USGI plastic canteen replaced metal ones back in 1962.

But the Canadians also used plastic canteens and they look just like USGI.
Easy to get confused, but Canada has white canteens too, US doesn’t.

I got a brand new, mint 1945 canteen set in the 60s, Air Force was getting rid of them and my uncle picked up some.

Hi bltjr1951

It would b e great to see photos of you canteen.

Chunky

I not completely sure but it doesn’t seem like a American canteen. Now i can be wrong but I have two canteens from the 40’s and they are both metal. One from both theaters of the war. I think your right about it being dutch but I think the dutch actually used it. then again I can be wrong but this is what I though about it.

Us Vietnam war canteen

The canteen may be the the outer part is for sure ww2

No it’s Vietnam era

You just disregard my last comment like I said.

Well the canteen can be from from the Vietnam war but the outer case has to be from ww2 originally

No it’s a US militaria forum.