Wehrmacht/SS veterans in the IDF

One amazing fact about veterans of foreign armies that serve in the IDF is that some Wehrmacht/SS veterans served in it, most of them was michling (people with Jewish ancestors), here a list that I manage to compose, will appreciate any additional information (also sorry for any spelling mistakes with the names, all my sources are in hebrew)

-Shlomo Perel: Served with a Werhmacht unit as translator in the eastern front, later joined Hitler Jugend, arrive to Israel in 1948 joined the IDF and took part in the battle for Jerusalem.

-Karel Heinz Meir: Served in the Wehrmacht, after WWII achieve the rank of a major in the IDF and served in the seventh IDF brigade.

-Bob Winter

-Siegfried Berndat

-Afraim Gelzer

-Nehamia Werman

-Ginther Klauch

-Ulrich Shnaft:Served in the SS, after the war he disguise himself as a Jewish refugee named Gabriel Zisman and emigrated to Israel and eventually joined the artillery regiment, in 1950 is true identity was found out and he was deported from Israel, he reach Italy where he offer his services to the Egyptian embassy he discover to them information that he knew and then was send to Cairo for further training, in 1957 he return to Israel with a fake passport under the name David Wizeberg, he was arrest convicted of being a spy and serve 5 years in jail, after his release he return to Germany.

Shlomo Perel: Served with a Werhmacht unit as translator in the eastern front, later joined Hitler Jugend, arrive to Israel in 1948 joined the IDF and took part in the battle for Jerusalem.

That is simply amazing :shock:

If you intrested in his story I recomend that you watch the movieEuropa Europa it’s is based about Shlomo experiences in the Wehrmacht and the HJ.

too bad its hard to buy that video now