What amount of posts?

Some of you may know but anyhow at what post count do you think a member (normal member) should achieve the 3 star general status? 3-star is the max rank for all members except for admins and possibly staff. I know this is not a really big deal but was just curious!

Jeez, 10,000?

I have almost 30K at another board (I know, loser :D) But 40K or 50K isn’t that unusual. So even 20K isn’t out of the question, but then again, those are different sorts of more conversational boards that lead to more posts…

I was going to say something about your site. Then again we are a pretty young site. And quite different. However this is curiosity question.

Feel free to ask. I might drop out of that site altogether actually…

Well the question was the one at the top. 10000 a good number? Im thinking so!

Whats wrong on the other site Nick? Just tired of it?

Yeah. Too many A-holes, posts have steadily eroded in quality, and I’m not overly enthused with the new and improved “Van Halen” tour…

And oh yeah, the software is about five years behind in updates because the owner (“Sarge,” actually a commissioned officer in the US Army) went to Iraq, and then never came back to the site even though he’s no longer in Iraq. So, we’re never quite sure who’s in charge…

So in you opinion how do you think we could make the site grow but not turn into a forum with loads of crap members and posts? Maybe this is “if it aint broke dont fix it” question! I would like to see the sight grow but I dont want it to become a random blather forum. Do you have any suggestions or warnings for a forum of this type?

Well, we need to keep it on topic and about the history, and not about personal agendas that some people have at that site, which almost resemble high school cliques for 30-somethings, which is sort of sad. I don’t think that that’s a big problem with an active modding staff. In any case, the thing about the RA is that it was a forum created as an alternative in the Van Halen online fan community to a site called the VH Links, which many thought favored the status quo of the band and were far too forgiving. Actually, you couldn’t have asked at a better time, because one of the webbies there wrote a great summarization or mission statement:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1273418#post1273418

The difference there is a favor of little webbie/mod control and virtual online anarchy. It’s great for freedom of speech, but the site can also attract severe rejects (to get banned by RothArmy or its sister site, DDLR, one has to be either a great troll or a complete sociopathic cluster f*** of a human being…)

Maybe this is “if it aint broke dont fix it” question! I would like to see the sight grow but I dont want it to become a random blather forum. Do you have any suggestions or warnings for a forum of this type?

Well, one of the reasons the Roth Army is the “name” for David Lee Roth centric Van Halen because when you Googled “David Lee Roth,” we were like the first link that came up, even before his own crap site, which along with the Van Halen’s site are rarely updated or made fan friendly. This was especially apparent when Roth was hired (and soon fired) as a morning drive time DJ to replace Howard Stern, and when the reunion rumors began to surface in the media. In fact the official VH site had a message board that they closed down years ago because the fan base was so outraged over the brief reunion with Dave in 1996 followed by the hiring of Gary Cherone as singer. Which is where the hatred of any sort of proactive modding sort of began. For an aging, dysfunctional rock band that may be a great philosophy, but perhaps not for a history site with scholarly pretensions.

I think the guys at DDLR, a rival site, have now some how ‘worked it’ so that “DiamondDavidLeeRoth.com” comes up first on a Google…But the site still begets new traffic, even though the new user registration was suspended after a mass troll tried to take down our site. A quick Googling to WWII and all its variations brought up one forum on the first page: www.WorldWar-2.net. Not sure how they pulled that off, but I’m pretty sure its siphoning a lot of potential traffic and they’ve somehow worked things so they will be first Googled before any potential forums. I’ve never been there, but I bet it just might be complete shit? Then again it may be a great forum. Who knows?

I’m not sure if this site can be made to come up in the top ten search results for Googling “World War Two,” nor am I sure of how to try, but I think we’d increase membership though. I’m not sure about the quality. They may be the garden variety 15-year old that’s doing a school report or just likes tanks, but that may have little to offer as far as knowledgeable or original posts…

I think we are on the right track. Just look at the archives from 3 years plus ago and now. definitely more thoughtful posts and posters in general.

For now I think we should just go with the flow, encourage the new guys and keep an eye on the agenda wallas.

Lets never forget the site objective, ww2 should be our main focus with the other sections there for added spice.

By variation, do you mean like new twists of ‘the evils of strategic bombing’ thread? :smiley:

Well, given that we lost IRONMAN, that’s hardly a surprise:mrgreen:

Actually sometimes I miss him. You have to admit he was entertaining! But I sure as hell wouldnt invite him back.

So sounds to me that 10000 is a good number and decent hands off mod policy is good.

The quantty I dont know, the quality should be high :wink: