What do you Prefer? Luger or Walther P-38?

What one do you like better?

Luger

Walther P-38

Will add information on the firearms when I get a moment.

Luger:

A Luger (Pistole Parabellum), is a toggle lock pistol based on principles by Hiram Maxim. It is semi-automatic, magazine-fed, and operates on the short-recoil principle. The pistol, designed by Georg Luger, was an evolution of the earlier Hugo Borchardt design, the Borchardt C-93. The Borchardt-Luger was introduced in 1898.

The Luger pistol was manufactured to very high standards and thus has a very long service life, far in excess of 100 years with proper maintenance and care. As a result of precision engineering tolerances, ergonomic grip angle and shape, good trigger pull, and a design where the barrel remains aligned in constant relation to the axis of the frame during operation (no tipping as in Browning designs), Lugers are very accurate pistols.

The first Luger pistols fired the 7.63x25 mm Borchardt pistol cartridge, which was weak by any standard.

taken from Wikipedia

Walther:

The Walther P38 is a 9 mm pistol that was issued to NCOs and officers of the Wehrmacht near the end of World War II. It replaced the costly Luger P08. The P38 was introduced in 1938, and was produced until nearly the end of the Second World War. Production of the pistol continued in West Germany under the name “Pistol 1” in 1958 for Western German Police and the ‘Bundeswehr’. The P38 was the first locked-breech pistol to use a double-action lock. This allowed the shooter to carry the weapon loaded with the hammer down and then pull the trigger to fire the first shot.

Also taken from Wikipedia.

Prefer for what? As a personal sidearm for self defence, or a range gun for service match competions, as a collectable or as a soldier on the front?

I have both a P38 and a P08, the P08 is a neat gun and accurate but it is not safe to handle very suseptable to dirt. For a personal defence or issue sidearm the P38 wins hands down, for competition shooting or collecting I think I prefer the luger as being more accurate and having a great history.

It was more of the issued sidearm kind of question.

Having fired both I prefer the Luger due to its supreme pointability. One can point shoot with it because of the ergonomics of the grip taper angle. As far as robustness of mechanical actions The P-38 wins. I’d rather have a Luger for historical reasons.

I go with the Walther, for practical reasons.

Never fired either of them.
But from what I heard from ww2 vets,all (soldiers and officers) prefered to have in combat the P-08.

I prefer Luger pistol for hystorical reasons. I think is the most famous pistol, and I prefer the shape of it rather tha the Walther.

Walther becouse 9mm when he shot you ,you are history.

Eh ?

Not sure what you mean here Claus, could you enlarge on it please ?