What do you see?

Agreed.

I think we’ve been through this on some other photo (can’t remember photo or if it was you or someone else) about them being capable of different interpretations, but, seriously, the photo could just as easily represent the Soviet soldier doing something to help the woman fix her bike.

Without full knowledge and context, how do we know that he’s not retrieving something stolen from him?

And captions don’t always help. Such as this one to the picture

Bike Fight
A Russian soldier involved in a misunderstanding with a German woman in Berlin, over a bicycle he wished to buy from her. (Photo by Keystone/Getty Images)

by KeystoneSunday December 31st, 1944 reference: 2660955
http://www.jamd.com/image/g/2660955?partner=Google&epmid=1

Does that look like Berlin on 31 December 1944?

If it was, no bloody wonder he wants to get a bike and pedal like hell out of there, because he’s months ahead of the rest of the Soviet army and the only Russian soldier in Berlin, without a rifle. :smiley:

If it really was taken or published on 31 December 1944, it wasn’t Berlin.

That is true. No doubt.
Though it is like in a court: some evidense is direct and some are circumstantial. The later ones are not proving a point but together with others evidense bring light on the situation.
That is what I am after. I see a photo and I can not help thinking. I wish I could stop my mental process but all my attempts are failing. Not even your inspiration by example helps me, Rising Sun. :slight_smile:

And captions don’t always help. Such as this one to the picture
Does that look like Berlin on 31 December 1944?
If it was, no bloody wonder he wants to get a bike and pedal like hell out of there, because he’s months ahead of the rest of the Soviet army and the only Russian soldier in Berlin, without a rifle. :smiley:
If it really was taken or published on 31 December 1944, it wasn’t Berlin.

Really cool stuff!
Firstly, notice that this is yet the third croping variation of this picture. The man on the left is fully in the frame.

And you are obviously right about the misallignment between the date, place and the caption.

Panzerknacker,

Please read your post again. Willingly or not, you are blindly pedaling your point of view (whatever it is) without any regard to what is being said by others.
Listen to me again… carefuly… and try to understand: Nothing in your reply has anything to do with my comments here or my position.
You are fighting with the ghosts of your own interpretation of other people’s point of view.
Please think about it.

If you like to think is fine to me, I believe that most people here are aware of the intentions behind your earlier post and the rest of the pictures.

Hopefully this is only a rare and personal point of view, hopefully is not the majority of the russian population.

Please, tell me what exactly was my intention with the earlier post (I guess you mean “the Master” thread). I would like to learn from my mistakes and improve on my personality. So I would apprciate if you tell me what mistake I made by creating that thread.

By the way, what exactly do you mean by “the rest of the pictures”? Which ones is that?

Hopefully this is only a rare and personal point of view, hopefully is not the majority of the russian population.

Pesonal point of view… I hope you will tell me what exactly my point of view is that is hopefully a minority one. Please tell me what is my personal point of view.

Maybe the photo covers an event like this? :smiley:

A Russian soldier was riding along the Berlin street upon his bicycle when he saw, coming from the opposite direction, a German also riding a bicycle but without his hands upon the handlebars. The Russian thought it was a ‘special’ bicycle and made the German exchange bicycles.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/88/a3101888.shtml

Hello komerades:)
Actually this picture looks wery strange.
Its seems womans behind are … disappointed:)
The other interesting thing is who did shot this picture?
I doubt that the soviet photographer will shot the violence toward the Germans civils.
Also if it is allien photographer- this is very unlikely that the Soviet soldiers would so roughly robbed the Germans in the streets.
Becouse in the april of 1945 the special order of Stavka treated by punishment for every soldiers for violence.

Sure the bike is very desirable for russians at that time.
I mean most of them did not even see the bikes befor.

Damn … our friend Panzerette still confuse the reality with imaginary:shock:
Thank you for touching care about our children… but i have to distress you.
Your attack at the the Egorka is simply foolish, do you realise it yourself?
He just asked the question- you began the hysteria:)
Relax buddy.
We all know you could be a good lad:)

Yeah, but aren’t you glad to see you can go away for a few weeks and come back to find that nothing has changed? :wink:

I almost missed you while you were away. :smiley:

Sure i/m glad that everybody is on its own places and nothing has changed.
Especially your feeling of humour:)

Thank you for touching care about our children… but i have to distress you.
Your attack at the the Egorka is simply foolish, do you realise it yourself?

Wrong, I am not attacking anybody, I just want to show how ridiculous Egorka looks saying that this pic is a proof that the german population did not fear the russian soldiers…this pic. And he also mixed it with the raping question…just too silly.

But I am wiser man now, the next time I will not bother to look into the next tricky topic that are so liked by EK.

Where he told that this pic is the proof that population did not fear the Soviet soldiers?
Nobody here are not deny the facts of rapings or violence in GENERAL, but i ask you again- where do you see fear in this pic?
Sorry but it seems you are a bit biased here.

Welcome back, Chevan!!! :slight_smile:

Well the fear existed no doubt. It existed even before RKKA entered the German territory, you know better then me about the Geobel’s scare propaganda compaign towards the German public where he said that those barbarians will come and kill and rape everyone. That is why there were so many German refugees into the West of Germany.
And the actuall crimes commited by Soviet soldiers obviously added to the existing fear.

So knowing all that I personaly can not understand this picture. You can see your self that the people are not afraid too much of what is happening just in front of them. Can you see it too?

But I am wiser man now, the next time I will not bother to look into the next tricky topic that are so liked by EK.

Yes, very tricky indeed! Watch out for me… and my children… I teach them to be mean and hate Argentinians that wear glasses and drive old cars and like tanks… BOOOOOOOO!

:wink:

I teach them to be mean and hate Argentinians that wear glasses and drive old cars and like tanks

That would be the less damaging of your teaching to the poor inocent kid. :cool:

Sure the bike is very desirable for russians at that time.

Yes, timepieces were very desirable too. Very importatn fact is that Soviets didn’t prey only Germans. These Mongolians plundered anywere they came.
That picture looks it was taken in winter. So it is not Berlin. Maybe it was taken in winter 1945/46 (or late)…

I’ve found the current copyright owner of the image, who says it was taken in December 1944 in Berlin. Click on the image here for details.
http://www.gettyimages.com/search/search.aspx?contractUrl=1&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=bike%20fight%20russian%20berlin&src=standard#

Either the date or the place is wrong.

Assuming the date is correct, where would the Russians be in December 1944 that doesn’t have snow and isn’t terribly cold, judging by the clothing?

Getty images do not own the actual photograph. They just owe an electronic copy of it. The photograph itself should be in public demain I beleive.
You can also note that the picture at Getty images is not original as it is just a cropped image (the teenages in shorts on the right is only halfshown).

I think that it is not winter. The soldier seem to be wearing the sommer uniform and the guy wears shorts - does not seem to be cool out there.
Summer uniform 1942 - 1945.
source: http://www.rkka.ru/uniform/files/arm22.htm

So I do not think we got closer.
I was told that posibly this peacture was displayed at an photo exebition somewhere around 1995. A guy will try to check the excebition catalog. It might take him some weeks though as the catalog in an other town.

[ul]
[li]One more victim of the mongolian horde member.
[/li]
[li]The Western Allies and the mongolian horde members having fun
[/li]
[li]A Mongolian horde member trying to cheat the German woman
[/li]
[li]A Mongolian horde member trying to cheat the Allied officer
[/li][li][*]The Mongolian horde members desperately trying to fool the allied officer by forcing him to drinks and loose control so that they can get to know the Allied secrets.
[/li][/ul]

Mongolian hordes put stolen bicycles to military use.

http://www.jamd.com/image/g/50779873?partner=Google&epmid=1