What if the Germans won 'the Battle of Bulge'?

do you think the allies would really sue for peace like hitler gamble that they would?

i think if the german would able to get into the area of dunkirk and able to surround the allies again. the war would surely turn into the advantage of the Axis. they might even have time to get their prototype planes flying in the sky against those weak propeller planes.

The Allies could easily recover from the a blow like that. The allies had over 1 million troops in western europe at that point. THe germans were why to undersupplied to surround an army of that size. Plus even if that did happen, an allied invasion in France would still be iminate in the near future, plus they were suffering major defeat on the eastern front at this point in the war. After 1942 the defeat of Germany was unstoppable.

Had Hitler and his staff in Berlin not interfered (micromanaging the battle from so far away, in essence), the Germans had a chance of winning the battle. For instance, Dietrich’s armor would’ve been better used elsewhere instead of sitting in the most costly traffic jam ever known to man. To answer whether what would’ve happened had the Germans won it, first let’s review the German goals for the Ardennes Offensive:

1. To push the Allies back across the Meuse River
  2. If all conditions prove to be favorable, capture the port city of Antwerp

For assumption’s sake, let’s say the Germans were able to achieve both objectives. By pushing the Allies back across the Meuse would’ve cost the Allies lives during the defeat, and more lives down the road reclaiming lost territory again. But as we know today, the Ardennes Offensive was one of the last German offensives of the war, it was already a lost cause. A German victory on the east bank of the Meuse simply would mean the delaying of the inevitable.

As for Antwerp, if the Germans could capture it during the Battle of the Bulge, it would be a set back for the Allies for that the port city would not be able to be used as a major supply port. However, just like the previous statement about the Meuse, it was, again, delaying the inevitable.

Overall, at this stage, the Allied lines were dangerously outstretched; the troops simply had done better than all had expected. In a strange way, had the Germans been able to push the Allies back, despite the men and materiel losses during the defeat, it actually would’ve shortened the Allies supply lines. I’m not sure if that makes sense, but that notion just popped up in my head this moment :slight_smile:

actually, the western allies had 3 milllion in europe. The german strike force numbered a mere 250,000 contained in three panzer armies. They borrowed some artillery elements from other units, however, in the initial breakthrough stage. The german forces were far weaker then the proud army that stormed the ardennes in 1940, with 1/3 of the artillery firepower and armor vehcicles.

Overall, a doomed operatioin seen by both sides. Even if Antwerp had been reached, and the premier US units like the 101st,82nd, 30th, 3rd infantry, 3rd armored, etc. were encircled and destroyed, the germans would still be extremely outnumbered in the end.

think if the german would able to get into the area of dunkirk and able to surround the allies again. the war would surely turn into the advantage of the Axis. they might even have time to get their prototype planes flying in the sky against those weak propeller planes.

Even if the war had turned around in France, that didn’t change the way things were going in Russia. Germany’s fate at that time was already decided.

mmmm Yeah now that i think about it 1 million troops seemed kind of low at this point in the war, 3 million you say.

war doesnt rely on more soldiers to win, it relies on superior commanders and their tactics. throughout history, there are many wars that are win by the weaker side.

It simply would have prolonged the war some…

Isnt the battle of the bulge also the one where that general says “ahh nuts”! and that became famous?

That General? Sorry mate, you have to be just a tad more specific :wink:

That General? Sorry mate, you have to be just a tad more specific :wink:[/quote]
yeah, i watched the discovery channel documentary video, but i forget which person he is
it happened when the germans surrounded the city defended by americans. The german couldn’t take the city, but surprisely, the german has asked the american generals to surrender despite losing. American general reply with “nuts to that” (something like that)

A good reading of what it was:
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/7-8/7-8_cont.htm

that was General McAuffie I believe.

yeah some germans walked up to the fort with a bedsheet as a white flag and gave a note to mcuffie and he read it said “ahhh nuts” and and someone, a radio operater i think i forgot, anyways the operater suggested that will be the answer “nuts”! and well the germans left unsure of the replie

I didn’t say war relies on numbers to win but it definately a huge advantage, and was a major factor in the allies having superiority over the germans in all aspects of the war.

the us forces had a better tank shortly after the bulge… the m26 pershing.

if the germans did push the allies back, the usa forces would have been able to fight german armor on more equal terms. The germans would have needed miracles everyday to pull a victory on the western front off.

but germany was running out of oil, and many other vital resources, so in reality, they were doomed, and they knew it.

Had the ‘great blow’ been successful for Hitler all facits of the Wehrmacht still would have been spent and exhausted. The Luftwaffe was stretched rediculously thin with very few good pilots left or planes for that matter, fuel was in short supply, loses on both fronts were significantly heavy for the germans and replacements were non-existant. The allies recognized this and would have re-grouped and kept pounding as was the case. Once the Germans lost air superiority it was over for them. Even the best Tiger commander couldnt outrun or outsmart an assault from above.

The Germans lost because they didn’t have superiority in the air. So any convoys were blow to pieces before they could even reach the front. If after winning the battle of the bulge they could get air superiority they could well have pushed the allies back to Normandy.

That would have taken time, alot of it. The Luftwaffe was in shambles and running on fumes at this point regardless of victory or defeat at Ardennes. The best pilots were for the most part already dead and new equipment wasnt readily available. The luftwaffe was due for a complete rebuild and needed time to re-establish itself. I dont think the Luftwaffe would have gotten the necessary ‘window of opportunity’ they needed to rebuild. With continued pressure from the Ruskies and almost nightly bombing campaigns from Britain the Luftwaffe was rendered almost useless.

I think a better question is: “What if the Germans had never launched the Ardennes’ offensive and had used all that wonderful armor and artillery in a defensive/local counter-attack role to make the Allies final push all the more bloody?”

The King Tiger was simply not good at covering large amounts of ground in an offensive role, but it would have wrought much more havoc in a defensive mode…